RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
TowmaterATX's Avatar

 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 65
Check my setup. F250 & GT25' FBT Equalizer Hitch

I spent today setting up my hitch and running to the CAT scales to finish the fine tuning. Would love to get some feedback on where I settled.

Truck is a 2020 F250 Plat.
Trailer is a 2021 GT 25 FBT
Hitch is 12k Equalizer
Final setup was 5 washers and L bracket attached through the 2 middle holes.

Truck only - Front 4280 Rear 3420 Gross 7700
Truck no w dist - Front 3900 Rear 4740 Trailer 5400 Gross 14040
Final tuned setup - Front 4100 Rear 4380 Trailer 5580 Gross 14060

I took a picture from a distance and everything looks pretty level as well (attached).

The front is 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the back when parked on what I believe was level ground.

Looks like I lost 380lbs off the front and with the hitch I put 200 back on. That's about 52% put back. The manual said shoot for 50% to slightly over so I figured that's good.

Looks like my tongue weight is 940lbs. It has full propane, but the trailer is still pretty empty. Plan to rerun my weights once I get it loaded and add water etc. Since that is so high, I'm glad I chose to go with the 12k equalizer head and bars.

Any suggestions on further adjustments welcome!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towmater hitched.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	381189  
__________________
2021 Globetrotter 25FBT
2020 F250
Austin TX
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,559
Looks and sounds very well set-up. Ball is nice and close to the bumper. Have you thought about tire pressures? They can make a big difference also. Loaded our 25' FBT has a tongue weight of 1020-1120 depending on grey and black tank levels. Ford's FALR guidance applies near the upper towing limits so you have some room to fine tune based on actual road experience, particularly if you run the rear tires with a bit more pressure.

Be aware though many/most modern trailers with front storage compartments are experiencing dimpling and creasing of the lower outer sheet at the lower corners of the storage compartment. Airstream is aware, perhaps they have shored up the structure for the 21 model year. Large trucks, stiff WD bars with high tension and high trailer tire pressures seem to contribute. I have very small dimpling which has not gotten worse since I went to lower trailer tire pressure and a more forgiving WD set-up. Would love to hear your experience as you use the trailer.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
TowmaterATX's Avatar

 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Looks and sounds very well set-up. Ball is nice and close to the bumper. Have you thought about tire pressures? They can make a big difference also. Loaded our 25' FBT has a tongue weight of 1020-1120 depending on grey and black tank levels. Ford's FALR guidance applies near the upper towing limits so you have some room to fine tune based on actual road experience, particularly if you run the rear tires with a bit more pressure.

Be aware though many/most modern trailers with front storage compartments are experiencing dimpling and creasing of the lower outer sheet at the lower corners of the storage compartment. Airstream is aware, perhaps they have shored up the structure for the 21 model year. Large trucks, stiff WD bars with high tension and high trailer tire pressures seem to contribute. I have very small dimpling which has not gotten worse since I went to lower trailer tire pressure and a more forgiving WD set-up. Would love to hear your experience as you use the trailer.
Thanks for taking a look!

I was planning on looking up the tire pressure maps for load and going with a nudge higher. For the 15 mile drive up to the cat scales, I ran without the bars and 65psi on the rears of the truck. I wanted to do the drive back with it setup correctly and see if I "felt" the difference. Huge difference in porpoising. It wasn't bad without the load bars, but it's almost gone with. Didn't notice too much difference in steering etc. The sway seemed about the same with both, but I wasn't driving very fast since it was weekend rush hour. I likely only averaged 40mph for that drive.

I added another picture of the actual hitch area.

I would prefer to avoid any buckling. I'll keep an eye out for it and tune my pressures to the loads on the axles.

Thanks for the feedback and advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	381215  
__________________
2021 Globetrotter 25FBT
2020 F250
Austin TX
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
New Member
 
1999 27' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 4
I have a not dissimilar setup...
F250 Diesel & 27' Safari.
But...both 1999.
Not sure what weight distribution system is on it...but it works.
I always check tire pressure before leaving anywhere.
The trailer is level if it's loaded (water, gear, etc).
Of course, at 20 years old...things break...especially 20 year old plastic things.
Cheers
Doc in the Norrin Radd
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Looks and sounds very well set-up. Ball is nice and close to the bumper. Have you thought about tire pressures? They can make a big difference also. Loaded our 25' FBT has a tongue weight of 1020-1120 depending on grey and black tank levels. Ford's FALR guidance applies near the upper towing limits so you have some room to fine tune based on actual road experience, particularly if you run the rear tires with a bit more pressure.

Be aware though many/most modern trailers with front storage compartments are experiencing dimpling and creasing of the lower outer sheet at the lower corners of the storage compartment. Airstream is aware, perhaps they have shored up the structure for the 21 model year. Large trucks, stiff WD bars with high tension and high trailer tire pressures seem to contribute. I have very small dimpling which has not gotten worse since I went to lower trailer tire pressure and a more forgiving WD set-up. Would love to hear your experience as you use the trailer.
Correction. In the owners manual Ford says “always use” 50% FALR when using a WDH. 50% is not just for maximum rated tongue load.
__________________
Warning Message
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,559
Ford does not always say "always use", rather they have been quite inconsistent and imprecise in their guidance. As a point of fact, they do not test for optimal WD with variable trailer configurations, gross weight and tongue weight. They don't even have a published criteria for determining or describing what it means to have ideal WD except when towing at published limits, so I find your pronouncement difficult to rationalize, particularly when contrasted with the principles of towed systems which contradicts your guidance.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
New Member
 
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Wading River , New York
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2
Your set up looks good nice job. I want to ask you this, I've never seen those additional mud flaps used, seems like a great idea. Did you put that together yourself or its a accessory available online.

Dave
David Perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 40
Blog Entries: 2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Looks and sounds very well set-up. Ball is nice and close to the bumper. Have you thought about tire pressures? They can make a big difference also. Loaded our 25' FBT has a tongue weight of 1020-1120 depending on grey and black tank levels. Ford's FALR guidance applies near the upper towing limits so you have some room to fine tune based on actual road experience, particularly if you run the rear tires with a bit more pressure.

Be aware though many/most modern trailers with front storage compartments are experiencing dimpling and creasing of the lower outer sheet at the lower corners of the storage compartment. Airstream is aware, perhaps they have shored up the structure for the 21 model year. Large trucks, stiff WD bars with high tension and high trailer tire pressures seem to contribute. I have very small dimpling which has not gotten worse since I went to lower trailer tire pressure and a more forgiving WD set-up. Would love to hear your experience as you use the trailer.
What is the brand of your more forgiving WD ?
Projet2907 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 585
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Nice set up and it looks great. However be forewarned the 1200# bars are way too stiff for your combination. The 1200# bars seem to be the default setup for Equallizer WD. Your setup was almost exactly the same as mine and the 1200# bars were beating the trailer to death. My front compartment opening had stress cracks from the too strong bars. Cabinet doors were opening as we towed. I switched to 600-800# bars and everything was much better.
__________________
The ability to follow instructions is highly underrated.
Always be wary of stupid people in large numbers.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
WBCCI # 23456
 
2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 334
Same as mine, looks great. I use 1000# spring bars.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,217
Images: 1
^
X2

The numbers look good. You MUST re-set when loaded for camping.👍

The bars are way too stiff for the TW, (you appear to be moving less than 400lb with 1200lb bars, extreme overkill).
Overly stiff is an inherent feature of square WD bars, they don't flex causing an overly stiff connection, which can cause AS damage.

Bob
🇺🇸

Round tapered...best. Doesn't have to be a PPP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	068CE1CB-D157-446E-8272-7FDD0B74E5C6_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	381260  
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 49
From the photo and write up, this setup looks very good. We have a similar 2019 FBT 25’ FC and just ordered 2021 F-250. The current F-150 top of 2” receiver is
19 1/4” above grade. The top of the F-250 2 1/2” receiver is 22 1/2” above grade. Which shank do you use on your Super Duty?
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
Mikebrady62's Avatar

 
2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 292
Beautiful truck and trailer for sure! I too was sold the 1200# bars and in fact did get the stress dimple that others have mentioned below the front storage compartment. It has not gotten worse since I went down to the 1000#. It still trailers just as well as with the heavier bars and I have a 1500 truck.
Again, beautiful rig. Have fun with it!

PS Listening to BayouBiker has always been great for me.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Spaggs's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 64
Since you mentioned tire pressures, I’ll add my two cents. To properly determine pressure, you should measure tire temps. The measurements should be taken at the inside, center and outside of the tread (where rubber meets the road) for each tire of your tow vehicle and trailer. The temps, ideally should be the same across the tire. You can use any kind of gauge, but the quicker read-out the better. This won’t give you the best gas mileage, but it will give you the best tire wear and most stable platform. If you find higher temps on one side or another, an alignment is needed. If the center temp is higher than the sides, lower the pressure. Similarly, if temps are lower in the center, increase the pressure.
Good looking setup!
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Ford does not always say "always use", rather they have been quite inconsistent and imprecise in their guidance. As a point of fact, they do not test for optimal WD with variable trailer configurations, gross weight and tongue weight. They don't even have a published criteria for determining or describing what it means to have ideal WD except when towing at published limits, so I find your pronouncement difficult to rationalize, particularly when contrasted with the principles of towed systems which contradicts your guidance.
From the manual.
“When hooking-up a trailer using a weight-distributing hitch, always use the following procedure:”
And it goes on to instruct consumers to recover 50% FALR. If it works for maximum rated TW it’s even better for less.
__________________
Warning Message
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #16
New Member
 
2020 30’ Globetrotter
Mason , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowmaterATX View Post
I spent today setting up my hitch and running to the CAT scales to finish the fine tuning. Would love to get some feedback on where I settled.

Truck is a 2020 F250 Plat.
Trailer is a 2021 GT 25 FBT
Hitch is 12k Equalizer
Final setup was 5 washers and L bracket attached through the 2 middle holes.

Truck only - Front 4280 Rear 3420 Gross 7700
Truck no w dist - Front 3900 Rear 4740 Trailer 5400 Gross 14040
Final tuned setup - Front 4100 Rear 4380 Trailer 5580 Gross 14060

I took a picture from a distance and everything looks pretty level as well (attached).

The front is 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the back when parked on what I believe was level ground.

Looks like I lost 380lbs off the front and with the hitch I put 200 back on. That's about 52% put back. The manual said shoot for 50% to slightly over so I figured that's good.

Looks like my tongue weight is 940lbs. It has full propane, but the trailer is still pretty empty. Plan to rerun my weights once I get it loaded and add water etc. Since that is so high, I'm glad I chose to go with the 12k equalizer head and bars.

Any suggestions on further adjustments welcome!

Thanks!
Looks good from here. I have a very similar set up on a GT 30RBQ and used 6 washers looks good. Lots of tongue wight.
easy street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
New Member
 
2020 30’ Globetrotter
Mason , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Looks good, my set up is exactly the same. Set up was just as you experienced.
easy street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
TowmaterATX's Avatar

 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Perri View Post
Your set up looks good nice job. I want to ask you this, I've never seen those additional mud flaps used, seems like a great idea. Did you put that together yourself or its a accessory available online.

Dave
They are RockTamers. I bought them online. They are pretty easy to put together and then screw/clamp onto the shank. I have a 2.5" shank so I bought the 2.5" version. They go together pretty quickly.
__________________
2021 Globetrotter 25FBT
2020 F250
Austin TX
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
TowmaterATX's Avatar

 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
X2

The numbers look good. You MUST re-set when loaded for camping.👍

The bars are way too stiff for the TW, (you appear to be moving less than 400lb with 1200lb bars, extreme overkill).
Overly stiff is an inherent feature of square WD bars, they don't flex causing an overly stiff connection, which can cause AS damage.

Bob
🇺🇸

Round tapered...best. Doesn't have to be a PPP.
Hi Bob,

I thought the rating on the bars should be related to the total tongue weight. I am very close to 1000# and not totally loaded yet. And the selector/specs on the web page say you should not exceed the ratings on the bars.

Did I get this wrong. Is the rating more about the lbs. you are moving?

I think the 1000# bars are compatible with my head, so I could look into ordering them. I don't want to beat the trailer up for sure. Based on what I read/understood I thought the 1200# bars were the right ones.

Thanks for the feedback and the info!
__________________
2021 Globetrotter 25FBT
2020 F250
Austin TX
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
TowmaterATX's Avatar

 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
From the photo and write up, this setup looks very good. We have a similar 2019 FBT 25’ FC and just ordered 2021 F-250. The current F-150 top of 2” receiver is
19 1/4” above grade. The top of the F-250 2 1/2” receiver is 22 1/2” above grade. Which shank do you use on your Super Duty?
I have the Fastway 90-02-4325 2-1/2" Adjustable Shank 6" drop/10 Rise x 12" Length (XL12). That being said, I'm in the top holes. So if you find a 2.5" shank with less of a drop, you'll be fine as well.
__________________
2021 Globetrotter 25FBT
2020 F250
Austin TX
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Equalizer Hitch Setup on RAM 2500 AShar Hitches, Couplers & Balls 102 02-25-2020 06:48 AM
New GT25 Owner - Elated PhxTrotter 2018 - Current Globetrotter 14 03-23-2019 12:44 PM
2017 F250 and Equalizer Hitch ksteve06 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 44 09-15-2018 08:01 AM
equalizer hitch setup retrocar66 Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 13 03-15-2015 06:36 PM
Check , Check and Re-Check a new refer saga. thenewkid64 Refrigerators 13 06-24-2002 10:54 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.