Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
From the manual.
“When hooking-up a trailer using a weight-distributing hitch, always use the following procedure:”
And it goes on to instruct consumers to recover 50% FALR. If it works for maximum rated TW it’s even better for less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Ford does not always say "always use", rather they have been quite inconsistent and imprecise in their guidance. As a point of fact, they do not test for optimal WD with variable trailer configurations, gross weight and tongue weight. They don't even have a published criteria for determining or describing what it means to have ideal WD except when towing at published limits, so I find your pronouncement difficult to rationalize, particularly when contrasted with the principles of towed systems which contradicts your guidance.
Profxd is right.

BoyouBiker - you're incorrect on this issue because you're not taking into account the overall system. Even after you yourself have experienced buckling in your tongue.

The reason why any trailer, including lighter tongue weight trailers should not be dialing in greater than moderate 50% FALR, is because the tongues on those trailers are always sized for their expected loads. They are part of the system and perhaps the weak link. You can't just consider the tow vehicle. To be applying greater than 50%, particularly when paired with a tow vehicle that is larger, longer, and stiffly sprung as HD trucks are is ridiculous if you can understand the torsional forces involved.

The reasons for 50% FALR on a large heavy trailer is the same for 50% on a lighter trailer. A lighter trailer did not suddenly have a tongue structure sized up because you're towing with an HD truck. Nor did it get sized up enough for greater than expected 50% FALR.

It's no wonder tongues get stressed and structures buckle.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Idk, pteck Profxd is making an argument about WD from the tow vehicle perspective and my response was in answer to that. I agree that use of stiff WD bars with high spring rates are hard on trailers, but I wonder about the tradeoff between setting optimal WD and sway control tension vs. reduced tension as you suggest.

I wonder about the damage mechanism in particular. As an example, my truck is a 4x4 and has significant rear spring travel. It drops 3.25 inches when I add trailer and the gear. It has 3 more inches to the bottoming stops, though the final spring kicks in at about 1.5 inches. The Blue Ox at 50% FALR was adding about 150 lb of net upward force on the ball, at 100% it was about 300 lb. The truck springs are supporting 900 and 750 respectively.

When the combination hits a bump, the chassis and trailer frame is pushed upward and jars the trailer body and skins which resist the upward movement. So the question is which is harder on the trailer skin? Is the extra 150 supported by WD or the 150 supported by the truck? How does this change when considering WD stiffness? I will pause for comments as I wonder if anyone wants to help out.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgoat View Post
I also found the same crease after delivery. In the photos from the dealer, the crease was already there. JC replaced the panel and no issues since. TV is a 2019 F-250 with a 12k Reese Steadiflex WD system

How long did it take to have the work done at JC?