Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Sumter , South Carolina
CATs, TVs, & Hitches

OK – relative newbies here with a serious question. We've never had our 28’ FC and/or TV weighed so we don't KNOW if we have the correct (safe) TV or hitch setup (right sway bars). The Escapees have scales nearest us in FL, but we're in SC or SE Virginia currently and would like to know before we headed further south again to Florida. We think the questions we need answered are: 1) where/how to find appropriate scales near us, 2) what to have weighed, and 3) how to interpret the data. We'd appreciate any help in answering those questions or any additional questions we should be asking. Thanks in advance. Stewball
Stewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Go to CAT Scales website you can find scales near you. You can use this website for weighing procedures http://fifthwheelst.com/rv-weighing It will help a lot
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi there. Lots and lots of threads on this for your reading pleasure. I hope this link takes you to a Google search with links to all of them...if not, I screwed up the search [emoji3]

As to your questions:

1) search for CAT scales on the web - likely there are some nearer your current location.

2) you're looking for 3 weights of your truck and trailer fully loaded for camping (full propane, water, fuel, camping gear, beloved people/pets - whatever constitutes a real trip for you):

A) truck with trailer attached and weight distribution hitch fully engaged

B) truck with trailer attached but weight distribution disengaged

C) truck alone

(The CAT Scales website will give you specific instructions on how to use the scales)

3) how to interpret the data is covered well in the threads I mentioned but basically, you want to be sure that none of your weights exceed your limits of axles, tires, hitch receiver, tow limits, etc., and, you want to be sure that your weight distributing (WD) hitch is effectively doing its job (for example, if you find that putting the trailer on the truck lifts 500# off your truck's front end, your fully engaged WD hitch should put at least half of that and possibly all of it back on the front end depending on what your truck's user manual tells you, and that you've moved some of the tongue weight back on the trailer axles as well.

I'm a geek on this - was scared to death the first time I did it - but I do it at the start of every camping season (and other times just for fun...) to make sure I'm still doing good with all the setup. You'd be amazed how easy it is to add a few hundred pounds to the rig after just one season of camping! Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+...iw=375&bih=628
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Stewball,

I've been reading all the past setup threads on Airforums to prepare to set up my new Airstream when it arrives. Read the following short thread on how to weigh, how to interpret and how to adjust your WD hitch. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...les-89674.html
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Escapees rallies often have "Smart Weigh" available. RVSEF also offer that service. Once you're PROPERLY weighed, you're good for the long haul (unless you make SUBSTANTIAL changes). A trained rep will go over the results with you after you're weighed and, give informed advice as to the proper tire pressure that should be set for each axle. The service is modestly priced; usually $45~$60 dollars. Money VERY well spent.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Biggest problem I have with CAT scale is reaching the button and communicating with the operator.

Can't do it from the drivers seat of my SUV and have to resort to using a step stool.

Problem is that I can't be sure that I get into the truck before the weight is recorded.

I've tried discussing with the operator before my first weighing that I need a moment after pageing in to get into my truck but don't get a response that installs confidence they understand my plight.

Any suggestions?

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Greg, with CAT's Weigh My Truck app on your phone, you don't even have to roll down your window to complete and pay for a weigh. Just enter the scale number, and it automatically charges you and sends you a PDF of the weigh ticket. Highly recommended. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Greg, with CAT's Weigh My Truck app on your phone, you don't even have to roll down your window to complete and pay for a weigh. Just enter the scale number, and it automatically charges you and sends you a PDF of the weigh ticket. Highly recommended. Joe
I use this several times weekly.

Paper at fuel desk. I'd do my three passes and then go inside for paper copies. They're still best to annotate for future reference.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
This is excellent. Thank you very much.

Was wondering if it was smart enough to only charge $1 for weigh #2 and #3 on same day

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
This is excellent. Thank you very much.

Was wondering if it was smart enough to only charge $1 for weigh #2 and #3 on same day

Greg
They're happy to take your money. First weigh $11 usually. Reweigh $2. Any number inside first 24 hr as I recall.

If you park in the truck lot, etiquette and safety is to stroll to the building along the fuel island if it's between you and building. Expect that all trucks are headed to this point. Most of us fuel daily. Walk directly in front of trucks being fueled. They'll be looking for you, but establish eye contact. Procedure for fueling is to do so, and then pull forward to allow the next guy to pull up.

Don't walk among trucks waiting to get up to island, or among those who've pulled forward. They're just not looking for you, is how to think of it.

I wouldn't hesitate to do hitch adjustments etc while parked in laned space in the truck lot. It's what I always do. Park away so that guys coming in to grab lunch can park close. Take your time, but expect that by 1700 the day is ending for those who started at 0300.

Best times at truck stops are from 0900 - 1500 to use scales and make repeated adjustments without traffic to be a bother. The latecomers have finally left, and the early crowd isn't there yet.

As to scale use: the vans are coming in to find where to set trailer tandem axles so as not to exceed 34,000 on drives or tandems. Tankers and flats and dumps are double checking gross, and worrying about being over. Household movers come in before and after being at your house to properly charge for weight. Etc.

"Super Trucker" moves too fast through truck stop parking lots. Anyone "getting gears" is a punk. In a hurry to get back on highway. Watch out for him once away from fuel island. Pedestrians are accorded ROW, but I wouldn't insist on it. In a manner of speaking, he's at work and you ain't. Older hands will insist you walk across ahead of them. Expect both.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Biggest problem I have with CAT scale is reaching the button and communicating with the operator.

Can't do it from the drivers seat of my SUV and have to resort to using a step stool.

Problem is that I can't be sure that I get into the truck before the weight is recorded.

I've tried discussing with the operator before my first weighing that I need a moment after pageing in to get into my truck but don't get a response that installs confidence they understand my plight.

Any suggestions?

Greg
I carry a long stick (broom handle) with sticky black tape wrapped around one end. I can hit the button with it, though I have to really stretch.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote