Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Cat Scale Etiquette

So... I'm VERY close to having a tow vehicle and Bambi combo, and will be heading off over the horizon to look for some sort of scale to check out all the math and such.

Now do those scales work? Do they charge?

Are the guys at the scales happy to help those of us with less than 18 wheels come by?

Are there certain days or times of days to go?

Whats the best way to go about doing the weigh in?

I'm in Ontario (Canada not California)... is there a difference in our scale system?

PS. By wife just said "My you ask a lot of questions.. Everyone is going to think 'your poor wife'"
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Cat Scale Etiquette

First I parked the rig out of the way.
Second I went in side and told them what I wixhed to do and why and asked them if I could do this.
They were most accomidating and even gave me permission to drop the trailer(there were signs in place saying not to, so that I could weigh the TV).
Cost,
First pass $8.50.
Each additional pass, $1.00.
I stayed out of the way of the trucks and only ran the scales during a lull as not to hold up the people trying to make a living.
The lady running the scales only wanted to see the inside and was amazed at the condition given that the trailer was an 84.
Very plesant experience.

Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Campadk----I've used CAT scales at a couple of different places (Ca & Utah) in the last year and have had the same very positive experience as the previous post which provided a good how to for you. CAT stands for Certified Automated Truck SCALE and is a company headquartered in Walcott, IA that has weighting systems at many major truck stops. They are open the hours of the truck stop and charge about $8-10 US that includes a computer printout with the various axle wts and then the total wt. They identify themselves with a large yellow sign in the shape of a cats head. Hope this helps.---Bob
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
A friend has had similar experience with scale in city in northern CA.. Weighed car and axles to test weight reduction... Another was able to unhitch, and weight tow vehicle and trailer axle by axle plus hitch weight...

If real nervous, I'd suggest driving over without trailer first and asking those questions (best times, how to avoid conflicts, etc) and then go back when it should be unbusy... Doesn't seem like $10 every so often is enough money to be courteous and profitable, but apparently it works...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi campadk...

here is a link to my first time...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ted+cat+scales

it was fun...

cheers
2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In addition to CAT scales, I have weighed my rigs at the local farmer's co-op ($5.00) and at the local batch plant/gravel pit for free. The co-op gives you a receipt with a time stamp and the weight witch I keep in my registration envelope.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Hey Dave, I don't know if you have weighed in yet. I used a CAT scale to weigh the teardrop. A certified weight was required for me to get it tagged as a "Travel Trailer".

Everybody is pretty spot on with their comments, I went inside and told them that I needed a weight slip. She said to go ahead and pull onto the scale and push the call button when I was ready.

One thing that nobody mentioned is that you need to bring a broom handle or something to push the call button. When I pulled onto the scale, I looked around and said, "Where is that call button?" Well that sucker is like 12ft off the ground! I had to stand on the door sill and was barely able to hit the button with a golf umbrella.
Asianflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
CAT Scale

I forgot about that. The lady I talked to on the phone did tell me to bring a step stool or short step ladder. She didn't tell me what for. I did however figure it out when I got there.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Really New!

Ok, I am going to show my TOTAL ignorance here. My neighbor just bought a 25' Prowler trailer and took it over to the local moving company where they too were very accomodating of weighing everything for him (truck, trailer, truck and trailer, etc).

Why does this need to be done?

I have a 19' Bambi and tow it with a 2005 Toyota Tacoma crewcab/long bed PU with a 6 cylinder engine w/tow package, trans cooler. It is "rated" at 6500 lbs towing.

JERRY

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
_

. , .
hi jerry

weighing is important for adjusting the hitch bars, knowing your truck load and trailer weight...

you cannot rely on published figures....

search 'cat scales' and many threads will come up with info explaining why we do it...for a lot of different tv/trailer combos...

here is how i did it...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...rs-17984.html?

but many of the threads found searching will add great details to answer your question...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My cat scaled 10.2 lbs last time I checked and I didn't need a ladder.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Same price in Madison, GA for the CAT scale. $8.50 and $1 if you come back tomorrow.

I found that out when I had a big load of firewood in the back of my Dodge and couldn't resist it: 2,150 lbs.

The fun part was having 2,150 lbs in the back and running off from my brother-in-law's much more lightly loaded Ford gasser.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Courage..

After our blowout incident returning from NorCal Rally, I pulled our trailer onto CAT scale in Gilroy, CA at truckstop.. Some additional tips..

1. You don't really need to go inside and pre-negotiate. If place not busy, you can just drive onto scale surface..
2. Intercom buttons only 7 1/2 feet off ground, as I managed to reach without a stool. Also unmarked little square things... OPerator will talk to you when you push button, finally..
3. Scale divided into slabs about 20' long which total all five, and record separately. Be prepared to jump out and verify trailer and tow vehicle are not parked across joints, if you want combined weights.
4. Sometimes DMV or others require weights for registration or other reasons. Those "official" weights cost more..
5. They will want a license number for trailer, which took a while for me to find. Have it ready..
6. If they ask what type and what cargo, make up something interesting...
7. After weighing, you go inside to pay and pick up weight slip...

Pretty interesting and painless, though I didn't attempt to unhitch and drop. Well worth the $9 to me...

You can go to their website to find locations across country, though moving companies often also have scales open to public..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
scales open to public..

Most truck stops have platform scales that are divided into sections to weigh the different axles on tractor-trailers....CAT scales are a franchise operation.

If you happen to be in the northwest (WA, OR, MT), quite often when the state scales on highways are closed, they will leave the scale display turned on and you can get your weights there.

If there is a commercial gravel pit operation in your area, they usually have scales there (you might have to weigh each axle separately to get the gross weight)....same with moving & storage companies (Allied, United, North American, etc.)
JakBluMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My location does not allow dropping the trailer on the scales, but it is not necessary at all.

I first tell the clerk that I am going to make 3 weighings.

I weigh the rig "road ready" with equalizers set for travel.

I weigh the rig with the equalizer chains loose.

I drop the trailer away from the scales and weigh the TV alone.

The CAT scales give an axle by axle reading. From these 3 weighings, I can learn all I need to know about axle and hitch loadings and the effect of the equalizer bars.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Exactly. Disconnecting the trailer on the scales risks holding up a line of trucks if they show up. You definitely need to drop the trailer away from the scales and weigh the tow vehicle in exactly the same configuration it was in with the trailer, if you want to know how much tongue weight the tow vehicle is carrying.