Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Carfax shows "RENTAL" service, no service records

I am looking at a potential TV. Everything is fine except the following. 2017 Powerstroke, 70K miles.

• I noticed that the truck was showing 4K engine hours, of which 2.4K showed as idle. Googled that and there appeared to be concerns about high idle hours but the mechanic I talked to said it really didn't matter unless the oil changes hadn't been kept up with.
  • Carfax lists the first owner as "rental". No service records show up for those approximately 40K miles.
  • Second owner for 30K changes oil every 5-6K miles.
So, it is reasonable to think the rental company did internal servicing that didn't get reported to Carfax or is this likely to be something else?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I am looking at a potential TV. Everything is fine except the following. 2017 Powerstroke, 70K miles.

• I noticed that the truck was showing 4K engine hours, of which 2.4K showed as idle. Googled that and there appeared to be concerns about high idle hours but the mechanic I talked to said it really didn't matter unless the oil changes hadn't been kept up with.
  • Carfax lists the first owner as "rental". No service records show up for those approximately 40K miles.
  • Second owner for 30K changes oil every 5-6K miles.
So, it is reasonable to think the rental company did internal servicing that didn't get reported to Carfax or is this likely to be something else?
I'd say with more than 1/2 the hours as "idle" hours it was probably used as a service vehicle or public utility vehicle, or even a fire dept vehicle. All of those types normally do their service in house.
edit, it there some way to get the MVD records?
Old 04-27-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Also keep in mind Carfax is spotty at best when it comes to service records, or most records for that matter beyond change in ownership, registration, etc.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Maybe see if you can run the VIN on the manufacturer's website for service records and other history...

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:07 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
It would be interesting if you could do a title search and find out who the first owner was. Some states have a mechanism for this, others don't. Might also be able to find information about the vehicle just by doing a Google search on the VIN. On my Suburban I was able to find out the history by doing this as it led me to the original auction site showing when it was sold by the Red Cross when they put it out of service.

With the high idle time on that truck, it's likely it was in similar service and I'd think that you'd be able to find the original auction information for when the current owner obtained it.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would look for another. ~17 miles per engine hour is a lot of idling. ~33 miles per engine hour is an average "normal" usage.

The problem with diesels and high idling is the carbon buildup. and perhaps inadequate, timely filter regens. I used to see frequent issues with high idle time engines on the job.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Just as an FYI, I bought a supposed "loaner" Volvo from a Volvo dealership in TX that only had @ 6,400 miles on it. Ultimately, it turned out this vehicle was actually from a rental fleet - originally registered in New Jersey.

I decided to trade it in after a couple of years (I also noticed some minor paint chipping on the front passenger door, which was somewhat alarming). The GM dealer I took it to for the trade came back with a lowball estimate - primarily because they said the vehicle had been in an accident and the right front quarter panel had been replaced and repainted. They showed me under the hood where the bolts holding the panel in place were not aligned like the other bolts and the paint showed the bolts had been re-installed.

The dealer said if a vehicle in a rental fleet is in a wreck, the rental company will often do the repair work in house and it never gets reported to companies like CarFax. I contacted CarFax - first to complain (I checked the CarFax report after the information from the GM dealer) to notify them that the vehicle had been involved in a wreck and they needed to update their report. CarFax's response was they would not change the vehicle history as they do not accept "reports" from individuals, only from insurance companies or dealers.

I would be leery of purchasing a vehicle that came from a rental fleet.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:54 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
bozeman , Montana
Google serial number. Might show more info. Rental companies are notorious for not doing required maintenance.
budcolglazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
A big check on a Diesel engine condition is to do a blow by check.
This will tell you a bit about the condition of the piston rings and gaskets.
1. Start and warm up the engine
2. With engine running, loosen oil fill cap and let it sit on the fill hole.
3. If it bounces around violently, or doesn’t stay on RUN!
If it moves a bit or better yet not at all, buy it!
This will show you condition of the rings and if oil changes were done and if the engine run hard.
Good luck. Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #10
Icy
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Sarnia , Ontario
I’m going to say no, seized turbo vanes, EGR carbon and plugged DEF(or close to it)
As an retired Ford Truck Shop Manager, Ford does not recommend extended idle. Sales department will tell you it’s ok, don’t believe them.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Dont buy a rental, period. A lease, is fine. Rental, NO.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:52 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
There is a reason "rental" must be disclosed

I was in the rental business for many years. I can tell you that most rental companies will do the minimum service required to maintain warranty normally the max mileage interval. I think you have your answer with that many idle hours and half its life as a rental. Caveat Emptor.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n Mary View Post
A big check on a Diesel engine condition is to do a blow by check.
This will tell you a bit about the condition of the piston rings and gaskets.
1. Start and warm up the engine
2. With engine running, loosen oil fill cap and let it sit on the fill hole.
3. If it bounces around violently, or doesn’t stay on RUN!
If it moves a bit or better yet not at all, buy it!
This will show you condition of the rings and if oil changes were done and if the engine run hard.
Good luck. Rick
I believe this test will also indicate if there’s an issue with crankcase ventilation which is not as serious as worn rings. There’s a separator/filter unit that can get clogged and will cause that.

However, I agree that high idle hours on a Diesel engine is bad news. The EGR cooler is probably coked up, not to mention the turbo. Keep looking.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote