Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Caravel 19cb - Trailer Dolly?

Hi folks,

I have a new Caravel and have to scootch it into a tight space up against a retaining wall. I can get the rear of the trailer right where I need it with my Tow vehicle but it's gonna need the front hitch end pushed in about three feet to get it done.

My driveway is concrete and dead level.

Do I really need one of these $500-$1000 power dollies? Or would a good manual three wheel dolly work>

I'm already broke from outfitting this little bullet .

Bix1
Bix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Caravel 19cb - Trailer Dolly?

You may be able to find a wheel that fits your jack ( Amazon ), itís gonna be very heavy even to push it on level ground. I wouldnít push it from the segment or segment guards.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Maybe a floor jack?

If you don't have a wheel to slot into the bottom of the jack tube, you might be able to do it with a large floor jack. I saw a picture of someone who welded a ball into a removable floor jack saddle. They lowered the tongue down on their tongue jack so it fit into the ball on the saddle, and then just shoved the trailer around their driveway with the iron wheels of the floor jack doing the rolling. When they got it into place, they jacked up on the tongue jack to plant it in place, then chocked the wheels.

Just an idea....

Oh, be sure you don't try to jack up on the underside of the tongue arms. The previous owner of my trailer did that and crushed the propane pipes from the tanks that run under the tongue beams. Just trying to save you a little of my pain....

Good luck,
Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Monterey , California
I have what you have- a small trailer, tight space, dead level. I bought the trailer xl valet on sale at Costco. Seems worth the money if youíre going to need it every time you go out/in. My father-in-law has used ours also and he loves it.
Lucky Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Skunk View Post
I have what you have- a small trailer, tight space, dead level. I bought the trailer xl valet on sale at Costco. Seems worth the money if youíre going to need it every time you go out/in. My father-in-law has used ours also and he loves it.
https://trailervalet.com/choose-my-trailer-valet/

I have the manual trailer valet xl. A bit slow but works great. Call and ask for a reconditioned model. They are offered at substantial discounts.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
I have an XL Trailer Valet. It has been absolutely no benefit to me. It requires level ground and hard surface. I live in an average sub-division with a typical upgrade from street to house level. I have a gravel parking pad. Wish you lived near me, I'd give you a good deal. Hopefully, I'll find someone with a better situation who will buy the Trailer Valet. Buying at COSTCO is a good idea. If it doesn't work, you can take it back. I bought directly from Trailer Valet. Absolutely NO remedy for the device not working for me. The customer service rep said the video of the woman moving a trailer on grass is a bit misleading: artificial grass on top of concrete.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 04:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Earlysville , VA
Manual dolly

I have a 27' Sterling International and for a while I had to use a manual dolly to get it into a tight place. We have since moved and I don't need the dolly anymore. If you are interested, I will make you a great deal.

BoMan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160608_073419_resized.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	431688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160607_172037_resized.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	431689  

BoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMan View Post
I have a 27' Sterling International and for a while I had to use a manual dolly to get it into a tight place. We have since moved and I don't need the dolly anymore. If you are interested, I will make you a great deal.

BoMan
Hi BoMan,

When you say manual is it also one I can use a drill with the right bit to move it as well?

I am interested.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix1 View Post
Hi BoMan,

When you say manual is it also one I can use a drill with the right bit to move it as well?

I am interested.
If you are interested in the trailer valet to use with the hand crank then i highly recommend it. If you plan on using it with a drill then I would not. You end up with lots of torque and an easy way to break a wrist.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:04 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
BoMan,

Are you still interested in selling your Trailer Valet>

Forgive me if this is a redundant message. I am still getting used to the mechanics of this forum.

Bix1
Old 05-16-2023, 08:49 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Earlysville , VA
Yes, this is the xl trailer valet, and yes, I am interested in selling. I used to store my Airstream in a tight warehouse space where it was impossible to maneuver my TV to a position where I could back the Airstream into my space. I must admit I have only used this on flat concrete, and I have used both the hand crank and my Dewalt drill driver to power it. Unfortunately, I am out of town on a trailer trip, and won't return until the first week of June. Bix1, I don't know where you live, but I am in the Charlottesville, VA area. I travel all around VA and parts of NC on business and could meet up with you. Save on shipping
BoMan
BoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:28 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Dolly

From what you say this would be out of your budget, but after 3 years of needing one, I finally bit the bullet and got a parkit360. It works great. My 2018 sport 22í is 4500 pounds and itís rated for 5k so itís pretty maxed out. It can pull the trailer up a slight incline and get it turned around but once Iím on the steep part of the driveway it struggles. The brake controller brings it to a fast stop going down hill perfectly. Has its own battery too. I wound love to have the 10k capacity dolly but will save that for if I ever upgrade to a flying cloud.
Squampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' International
LOVELAND , OH
I have a 2009 19' International. I will assume it is simial to your Caravel . I have a paved driveway and also need to maneuver it in ways that cannot be accomplished while hooked to my Avalanche. My driveway is fairly level but I still have to maneuver it slightly up hill. I do this with a manual, 3 wheel dolly that I got from Tractor Supply. I have no issues doing this - note, I am no spring chicken. I think the dolly that I have is this one:
Tractor Supply: Search= tow tuff adjustable trailer dolly with caster
Erich G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel