Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Can you trust Tongue weights provided by Airstream?

I own a 25 FB FC and according to Airstream the tongue weight is 837 LB. on an empty unit. I purchase a Sherline Tongue Scale rated up to 2000 LBS. to check how loading it would effect the tongue weight. First thing I did was weight the unit empty and the scale told me it was 1200 LBS. Sales people at the AS dealerships don't seem interested in talking about or knowledgeable on this subject.

The scale seems like a quality item with great reviews at Etrailer.com.

Also note: I decided to return the scale as I believed it was defective and got all kinds of flack from Etrailer.com when I asked them to live up to there return policy. The no questions asked return policy turned into a "Ok but We'll test it when we get it back and if we decide it works then you are out of luck"
beware....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherline Scale.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	259311

Love some feedback on posted tongue weights by Airstream.
Thiatt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Based on what forum members who own 25's have posted before, I bet the scale is fine and the tongue weight is indeed 1200#.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
^ ditto

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Don't return it it is correct.

Airstream does not include gas bottles, gas bottle cover. hitch equipment added to the tongue, and electric tongue jack. It is a game they play just not sure who they are playing with.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have the same scale and a Classic 25fb. I'm getting close to 1200lb.

Kelvin
Old 03-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Tongue weight in the specs is tongue weight empty with no installed accessories or options - add those accessories, options, propane, batteries, water and gear - then it climbs dramatically.

There is a simple system to determine your actual tongue weight using a bathroom scale and a bit of lumber - you should be able to find out elsewhere on this forum how to do this is or maybe by googling it - this will tell you whether your purchased scale is accurate - my guess is that it is working just fine.

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Yep.....25' Classic.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08253.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	259317  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Can you trust Tongue weights provided by Airstream?

In other words, yeah, it seems you can't trust Airstream's tongue weight claims - especially if you're using that number to shop for a TV with an appropriate load capacity rating.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The late model Airstream published weights are with full propane bottles and cover but no optional equipment. You must weigh it dead level or it will be off. If you want to know how much weight is on the coupler ball, you must weigh it at the coupler, not at the jack where it will indicate a heavier weight. If you want to know how much weight the truck receiver is carrying, you must weigh it at the end of the stinger. A forum member with a ProPride hitch weighed his tongue at the jack and again at the end of his ProPride hitch stinger, 200 lbs lighter at the truck receiver.

Then weight distribution comes into play, some of the weight will be distributed to the truck's front axles. The only way to know how much load your Airstream adds to the truck is to weigh the truck without the trailer, and again with the trailer hitched up and weight distribution applied.

And there are variables. When we travel we put 70 lbs of bicycles on the Airstreamer rear end. We have recliner chairs which we slide back for travel. We carry our heavy gear over or just behind the Airstream axles, almost nothing in front. We have a rear bed design, that's where most of our storage is. That all lightens the tongue weight.

Our Maximum tailer load is 7300 lbs meaning we need at least 10% of that on the tongue so we want no less than 730 lbs on the tongue. Our Airstream Owners manual warns the tongue weight must never exceed 1000 lbs. So there's our parameters.

Much ado about not-so-much. This is not a perfect science, common sense and experience will prevail for those who have it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Wanting 730# tongue weight is one thing. Having it is totally a different thing (needs verification). Almost all numbers point to well over 1000# tongue weight. BTW tongue weight is constant (weight distribution does not change it). What weight distribution hitch does is change tongue weights affect on axle weights.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Wanting 730# tongue weight is one thing. Having it is totally a different thing (needs verification). Almost all numbers point to well over 1000# tongue weight. BTW tongue weight is constant (weight distribution does not change it). What weight distribution hitch does is change tongue weights affect on axle weights.
I don't have a tongue weight problem, but always wondered, can moving your heavy items to the rear of the rig produce an appreciable change in tongue weight?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Salem , Ohio
I have the 1000 pound scale and a 2016 16' Sport. My tongue weight (with LP and a little bit of stuff inside) measured 400# (AS says with LP and nothing else it is 350#). I made a mistake when I first did the measurement. I had the trailer all hooked up and leveled nose down a little bit. With the scale under the jack on a level block, I jacked the hitch up and off the ball so the weight was into the scale through the jack (but the trailer was now just level). The sherline website and booklet list this as an acceptable method. However, the scale weighed in at almost 900#. I had not removed the Blue OX chains of the weight distribution system and now I was increasing the tension the chains and bar to push down of the scales. After I disconnected the chains and checked the level it weighed in at 400#. So in the end, I think AS and all SOB all listed tongue weight lite. The Problem for me is I am getting a 23D and it has a higher tongue weight than the 23FB. 720# for the 23D and 463# for the 23FB. The unit base weight for the 23D is 4761# and gross is 6000# So the tongue weight to gross weight ration is high compared to most AS.
airstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I had my 28' international checked before I bought it. Airstream info said 950 lbs. The actual was 950 as claimed, with batteries and full LP. No hitch.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
All trailers are weighed once they come off the line and those weights are printed out on the stickers that are attached. They will vary based on options and model decor but are weighed on computer scales.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
It never hurts to get a second opinion.

Load your trailer the way you like it, then go to a truck scale.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Panhandle , West Virginia
Does Airstream include tongue weight on the sticker?
Resolute_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #17
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Thiatt55 as mentioned above the trailer needs to be level. Needs to weighed at the ball. And using the information on the weight from the AS specs for your trailer. From the AS site a 25FC FB

Hitch Weight (w/LP & w/o options, water & cargo) (lbs.) 837

So nothing in the trailer, no water, no bedding. Just like it came from the factory. LP tanks full.

You don't mention where you placed the Sherline. They are very accurate but any changes to the process is an apples/oranges comparison.

And yes there are lots of variables. Best way is get to a CAT scale. Look up Ron Gratz on the forums. Lots of posts on how to weigh and interpret the results. Look up the spreadsheet I put together and posted several times under my user name and you can plug in the results from Ron's method of weighing and get some real world weights.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiatt55 View Post
Sales people at the AS dealerships don't seem interested in talking about or knowledgeable on this subject.

The scale seems like a quality item with great reviews at Etrailer.com.

Attachment 259311

Love some feedback on posted tongue weights by Airstream.
We purchased our 2015 23FB because the listed tongue weight was well under the allowable 720 lbs of our TV even though we preferred the 23D with a listed tongue weight right at 720 lbs. The sales rep at AS insisted our vehicle would tow the 23D just fine, but we held firm in the interests of safety.

We then bought that exact same scale as you and found that we we able to remain safely below our 720 lb. tongue weight limit even after filling tanks and adding the WD hitch (which does add to your tongue weight). We then confirmed the weights and distribution on a CAT scale.

That was only the beginning of our (thus far) year-long effort to learn all we can learn about our AS, equipment, hitching/towing, trouble shooting and maintenance. There are far more opinions out there than facts. Ultimately we must each take time to learn all we can learn, sift through the misinformation and varying opinions, make reasonable judgements, and act in responsible ways. Used thoughtfully, this forum is an incredible resource. I value it greatly and use it frequently, though never unquestionably.
Safe travels,
Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Be careful putting heavy stuff in the rear of the trailer to try to reduce tongue weight. Going tail heavy can make the trailer unstable. There are youtube videos of trailer sway, and probably the biggest cause of it is too far aft a CG on the trailer. That 10-15% of the trailer's weight on the tongue rule of thumb is really you want the CG of the trailer to be 10-15% ahead of the centerline of the axle(s). Nose heavy = stable. Tail heavy = unstable.

Now in all honesty, you'd have to put your blacksmith tools or similar in the back to make that much difference, but it's worth knowing about
Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good post Jim. Airstream Owners Manual warns of heavy rear and front loads. Heavy loads at the ends can amplify sway conditions if they start. Put the heavy stuff over/near the Airstream axles. No less than 10% of actual total trailer weight on the tongue.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote