Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Maybe, but I really like mine and it has some advantages the new ones do not. Plus the body mounts and shocks were replacement items that were upgraded instead of stock. The original body mounts and shocks had worn through. Also I bought new and have paid it off. I'm a marine engineer and have done so much stuff to it to make it last longer that I am in no rush to replace it ever. In fact it still only has 38,000 miles on it. Rides great, I do the work myself and no payments.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
Maybe, but I really like mine and it has some advantages the new ones do not. Plus the body mounts and shocks were replacement items that were upgraded instead of stock. The original body mounts and shocks had worn through. Also I bought new and have paid it off. I'm a marine engineer and have done so much stuff to it to make it last longer that I am in no rush to replace it ever. In fact it still only has 38,000 miles on it. Rides great, I do the work myself and no payments.
Understand; don't blame you with that low mileage. I got F250 new also, back in 2017 to tow my 28' FC; to date, 115K miles; AS has 50K now...no issues and nice ride towing or not.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:04 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Gloucester , Massachusetts
Hey all!

New to this forum and new to AS life since September of last year.

I’m planning on adding an AirSafe hitch to my setup and was wondering which hitch to go with. I plan on discussing this with them but wanted your opinion as well.

I have a 2019 27’ FB International with a tongue weight that runs on average between 800 and 950lbs depending on fluids. I’m trying to decide between the class V which would have me at the middle to upper operating range and the class VI which would have me at the bottom of its operating range.

I’m of the belief that all sprung items in a system should be dampened and the class V is not but the class VI is with dual shocks. This appears to be the only difference since they both use the same airbag. I’ve noticed that a fare amount of you with similar sized trailers lean towards the class VI hitch. Do you think that I’d be going overkill with the class VI (money aside, both are expensive)? Do those of you with the class V find any annoying bounce in the un damped unit?

Thanks!
J
Dentmanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #44
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentmanj View Post
Hey all!

New to this forum and new to AS life since September of last year.

I’m planning on adding an AirSafe hitch to my setup and was wondering which hitch to go with. I plan on discussing this with them but wanted your opinion as well.

I have a 2019 27’ FB International with a tongue weight that runs on average between 800 and 950lbs depending on fluids. I’m trying to decide between the class V which would have me at the middle to upper operating range and the class VI which would have me at the bottom of its operating range.

I’m of the belief that all sprung items in a system should be dampened and the class V is not but the class VI is with dual shocks. This appears to be the only difference since they both use the same airbag. I’ve noticed that a fare amount of you with similar sized trailers lean towards the class VI hitch. Do you think that I’d be going overkill with the class VI (money aside, both are expensive)? Do those of you with the class V find any annoying bounce in the un damped unit?

Thanks!
J
What is it you're towing with?

I have a class V in use behind a very stiffly sprung F250 Diesel, and it is an absolute joy to tow with the airspace hitch. No rebound bounce, no issues. I use an Equalizer weight distribution system with it, and it works excellent. Setup is easy. Inflate the bag enough to where the links are parallel to the ground, and then set up the bars as usual. Might need a little more time for ultimate setup, but it is well worth it.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Thanks for responding UWE.

2021 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Etorque with tow package and rear axle.

What size trailer you pulling?
Old 06-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #46
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Thanks for responding UWE.

2021 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Etorque with tow package and rear axle.

What size trailer you pulling?
I tow a 07 Safari 25ft FB, a 64 Safari 22ft, a 58 Flying cloud, and a slew of clients trailers here and there.
I tow with a 2007 Suburban 1500, a 2001 Suburban 2500 8.1l ( right now my favorite) , and a 2003 F250 7.3l Diesel. I use the Air Safe Hitch mostly with the Ford. This F250 is a rivet popping machine, if there ever was one.

I believe that an Airsafe or similar suspension hitch is always a good idea. However, with a 1/2 ton truck you might not need it near as much as you would if you had a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle. A softer suspension and good weight distribution hitch will go a long way and keep your Airstream going down the road just fine. My experience with the class V is a very good one. I can't speak to the fact that the classVI has shock absorbers, ( or motion dampeners, in this case), because I never used one and have so far not seen a need for the shocks. Looks cool, though...

Have you determined your actual tongue weight? Airstreams figures are often a bit shy of the actual weight.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I tow a 2014 27FB Classic with a 2015 Ram 3500 diesel, using a Class VI Airsafe combined with a Equal-i-zer hitch. Combined tt/tv weight of 17,500 lbs when fully loaded. Hitch weight around 1050 lbs. Works perfectly.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
List tongue weight on my International is 780lb with full LP tanks and batteries. We travel with minimal liquids to minimize added weight and try to minimize weight added forward inside the trailer. Currently guessing at tongue weight. Cat scales are an hour away. I do plan on doing the Cat scales in the near future but for now I’ll be doing the bathroom scale trick this weekend to confirm.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Hillsboro , Texas
I have a 2008 27’ International and tow with a F250 2015. I’m using the class VI Airsafe hitch and I’m very happy with in. I believe you would be OK with the class V. But check with them first. You can PM me for additional information.
grwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Rig = Ram/Cummins 3500 + AS FC27FB + Blue Ox w/1K bars + AirSafe 5.

The AirSafe eliminated popped rivets & stuff falling on floor --- smooths the ride considerably.

No problems.

Highly recommend.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
List tongue weight on my International is 780lb with full LP tanks and batteries. We travel with minimal liquids to minimize added weight and try to minimize weight added forward inside the trailer. Currently guessing at tongue weight. Cat scales are an hour away. I do plan on doing the Cat scales in the near future but for now I’ll be doing the bathroom scale trick this weekend to confirm.
FYI-spec- "list" tongue weight on my 28' new, without water was 976; actual was 1100lbs when we weighed at the dealers when I took delivery...just saying, the specs are a close guestimate...weigh your rig to be sure. And, full water is recommended by AS for better ride. Other thing to note, Max PSI is not a "recommendation"; it's a not to exceed pressure...for better ride and to be easy on your AS, (no popped rivets, broken hinges, etc.) check out the threads here...I run my tires at 58-60 cold; many here do similar between 55-70psi...to avoid stiff ride and broken stuff!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 06-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Thanks all for your input! I did the bathroom scale trick this morning since the nearest Cat scales is over an hour away. With a full tank of fresh, full LP’s, both AMG batteries and 90% of our travel items inside (no fridge food) the scale calculation came back at 856 lbs. add the WDH and bars for another 90 and that puts me at approximately 950.

Spoke with Lloyd at AirSafe and he still suggested the class V since we are hauling with a RAM 1500. He felt the class VI would be over kill. He did say I could upgrade later and add the shocks for $285- if I really felt the need.

I do run the trailers tires at 60psi. I read in multiple posts that this was a safe pressure and would soften the blow to the trailer. 80psi just seems high to me.

I bought the trailer lightly used from a couple that hauled with a 2500 and didn’t have the proper drop on their gooseneck. It rode nose high so I replaced it with a lower drop and now everything is level. Not sure if it was factory, the stiff 2500 or the nose high setup but the front exterior storage area has the starts of the dreaded corner buckles. I want to head this off at the pass before it worsens, and make for a more comfortable haul.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:03 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
With my use of ProPride hitches on all three of my Airstreams, never required anything else…
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Hey All. Set up my AirSafe hitch a few weeks ago with my EAZlift Trekker 1000 hitch. Ride was much more pleasant when we took it to the Cat scales. The scales showed our Trekker hitch that was given to us when we bought our used 27fb seems severely under gunned.

. I’ve recently set up an Equalizer 4 point WDH to make up the shortcomings of the Trekker. When I try to maximize the weight distribution of the new system the AirSafe hitch is under so much load that it barely budges on the road. I was told by AirSafe to back off on the WDH setting but I’m only at about 50% distribution now and would actually like to increase it since I have plenty of adjustment left.

My question is this. Have you all noticed this stiffness when you first set up you system and if so, did it wear in and regain movement? Id really like to make this setup work but the WDH is more valuable to me than the AirSafe hitch if I end up needing to pick one over the other. ��
Old 07-11-2021, 10:25 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have not experienced anything that I would call "stiffness" with my AirSafe hitch while using a Blue Ox hitch for weight distribution.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Hey All. Set up my AirSafe hitch a few weeks ago with my EAZlift Trekker 1000 hitch. Ride was much more pleasant when we took it to the Cat scales. The scales showed our Trekker hitch that was given to us when we bought our used 27fb seems severely under gunned.

. I’ve recently set up an Equalizer 4 point WDH to make up the shortcomings of the Trekker. When I try to maximize the weight distribution of the new system the AirSafe hitch is under so much load that it barely budges on the road. I was told by AirSafe to back off on the WDH setting but I’m only at about 50% distribution now and would actually like to increase it since I have plenty of adjustment left.

My question is this. Have you all noticed this stiffness when you first set up you system and if so, did it wear in and regain movement? Id really like to make this setup work but the WDH is more valuable to me than the AirSafe hitch if I end up needing to pick one over the other. ��
I don't have Airsafe; I have owned 4 AS's; 3 25' and now a 28' FC. I have used 3 different hitches; Reese, Equalizer (which the bar twisted/broke while backing), and last 3 have been Blue Ox Sway Pro. I am happy with BO; saved our bacon couple of times; did it's job. The proper size sway bars important...my 28' 1500# bars were very stiff first year of use...could only get 4.5 links to show...now there is some give after 40K miles using, and I can get 3.5 links showing...ride is fine; handling is fine.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We haven't noticed "stiffness" either. We also have Equilizer system, but ours is older model (something like 20 years old), and works well with the Airsafe. I would think if you're level, you're in the realm of good. I'm not an expert (or even close). The Airsafe bars on the sides should be level, and you may have to add or delete some air to make it that way. We adjusted the Airsafe when we got it to conform with that with our usual Equilizer settings and did not have to adjust the Equilizer.

Not sure if that's helpful....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:16 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
With my use of ProPride hitches on all three of my Airstreams, never required anything else…

Apples/Oranges. ProPride is an anti-sway/weight distribution hitch, like the Equalizer. AirSafe does neither of those functions. Its purpose is to separate the suspensions of your TT and TV, so that both ride independently and smoothly. I use a combo of an AirSafe Class VI and an Equalizer hitch to get anti-sway, weight distribution AND suspension separation. Really two different hitches that serve two completely different purposes...
Old 07-21-2021, 12:18 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I've not noticed any unusual stiffness, and I confess that I did not adjust the Equalizer when I added the AirSafe. Everything seemed to be working fine - so I left things alone! ;-)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:28 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:

If by “50% distribution” you mean you have half of the weight returned to the front axle, then you are there. 50% should me the top end of what you return to the front per my reading of the Equalizer manual. I’m not sure what you’re TV is, but if it is an HD truck, you probably want to return even less to keep the ride from being too stiff and defeating your AirSafe’s intention.
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote