Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Buying a tow vehicle away from home.

I know people buy both Airstreams and Tow vehicles away from their stomping grounds. I know you have to pick the dealer right but I assume that is why one travels a distance from their home to do it. I guess, actually it is to save some money.

I am in the final stages of pulling the trigger on an Nissan NV3500 as my new tow vehicle ( thanks again to those helped me on a previous post). The seller I feel most comfortable about is not the local dealer.

I am curious if most people have had ok experiences doing it?

After buying a vehicle away from home do you then go to the local dealer for service? How has that worked out? I suspect them making money after the fact is all that counts to them. Wanting to make the vehicle sale not withstanding

Anyway curious about how you made out and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I did this with a Harley and there was no problem at all. I think they have to service the vehicles weather they sold them or not.
Americal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, you say you are not comfortable with your local Nissan dealer. But you intend to take the new Nissan to them for service. Is this correct? What makes you not like the dealership but ok with their service dept?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Think of it this way, people buy vehicles and then move to different cities all the time. It would be pretty petty for a manufacturers service centre to refuse service to a vehicle they didn't sell. It might dissuade future sales.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I did this with my Chevy truck. Purchased in one state but have it serviced where I live. The service department has been FANTASTIC! Warranty work without complaint, regular maintenance with an appointment, they treat me right. Talk with your local dealer first - especially their service manager. Strike up a relationship. They'll know if you're happy with their service you'll likely recommend them for purchase to others.

Who knows - maybe they'll work a deal with the distant dealer where you can buy and get your service locally.

Either way - the relationship can't hurt!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Awchief

Basically, the little guy on my shoulder is hearing, the fleet manager perhaps playing games or hedging his bets a bit on what he will sell a vehicle I am going to order. Ordering it because I can't get what I want on any lots,not even close.

I told him I was holding 2 quotes and he is the one I want to buy from. After discussing it a bit he hemmed and hawed about meeting it. Didn't say yes and a little bit to the no. I wasn't even asking him to beat it. Basically both of the other quotes in writing was basically invoice minus incentives that are available at time of delivery. ( I have to take the chance on that, the cost of wanting what I want) The incentive is $1500 currently. I don't want to fight to get what I already have. (presumably already have)

But it will be tough servicing the rig where I buy it, if I don't go to the local outfit for the service work.

Tony
Old 11-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like the little guy on your shoulder is messing with your head.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I've bought two RVs and three cars out of state (IN, NJ, PA, GA (2)) and have had zero issues getting any of them serviced where I live (FL).

Warranty work being a profit center for a dealer, it would make no sense to refuse factory repairs.

You do have to pay attention to Reciprocity; some states (IN) have no credit for paying tax out of state, so you get to pay IN state tax no matter what.

But sure, I would not hesitate to purchase a vehicle out of state.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've been retired for a good many years and fill my time working with local charities. It's my opinion that you support those businesses that support the community. We have have four dealerships in our community that sell everything but Hondas and support local non-profits, youth activities and host of other charities. What's a couple of bucks on the price of a 50K pickup to show your appreciation to locally owned dealerships? It's also nice to keep your sales tax dollars at home too.

Flame away!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes, dealers will 'fix' warranty issues... customers first....but you will never know where you are in that 'pecking order'...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I've been retired for a good many years and fill my time working with local charities. It's my opinion that you support those businesses that support the community. We have have four dealerships in our community that sell everything but Hondas and support local non-profits, youth activities and host of other charities. What's a couple of bucks on the price of a 50K pickup to show your appreciation to locally owned dealerships?

I think the OP is talking about a supply/demand problem. I certainly agree with helping local businesses. It isn't always possible though. And frankly, in my case (I'll spare you the gory details), the local dealer who cashed my deposit check resold my truck to the dealer in MA for another customer. AFTER CASHING MY DEPOSIT CHECK!!!

It took a week to work it out and I eventually purchased it at the other dealer and have it serviced at a completely different local dealer.

Stuff happens...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up My experience....

....retired, 30yrs. GM Stores, service dept.

Dealer CSI is based on all customers, sales, warrantee & customer pay.
You buy from one dealer, he will get a score for that sale. Get Service at another & that is also scored. Treat all equally, it pays to keep everyone happy!
Loyal customers was my goal.

BUT YMMV.....

Bob
Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Bob I get the CSI My much of my life revolves around loyalty. I bet being honest was part of earning customer loyalty. Everyone has to earn it.

Dennis4x4 I agree with you completely. I think anywhere in Oregon is local.
Good point.

Tony
Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Awchief

... both of the other quotes in writing was basically invoice minus incentives that are available at time of delivery.

Tony
I'd think the dealer would be all over this. He's making full hold-back plus the doc. fee -- a really sweet deal for him. Since trucks have a very large hold-back, I've always been able to structure something well south of invoice, and I get all the incentives and rebates.

Work on him...

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We save all that wheeling/dealing time by using Costco's car / truck buying service. No stress, no mess, simple and fast every time at an attractive price.

That said, at any dealer the sales department's job is to win the sale today to meet or beat quota. It is the service department's job to win the *next sale* and bring in profitable revenue (even warranty $$$ counts).

So, maybe it's sensible to just take the best deal you can get and "don't worry, be happy." Good hunting to you.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Buying out of town or out of state will not be an issue as far as warranty and repair.
I still prefer the Nissan dealer in the next town to our local Nissan dealer. The people are a little friendlier and their labor rates are lower. Go figure.
Be careful on sales tax, though, if you are purchasing from an out-of-state dealer. Make sure they either charge no sales tax. You will pay sales tax in your state. If they collect the sales tax, be sure they forward the funds to the appropriate state. Otherwise, you'll end up paying sales tax twice and will not see a savings.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I'm basically saying meet the price, sign some papers, and I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. I did this the last two days of the month. I am not a push over I don't think with straight invoice because it has to be ordered. PLEASE PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. The thing is there is not a bunch of these around but there may not be a lot of demand either, but it is growing. Not all Nissan dealerships can sell them or service them.

I wrote this in another post earlier:

Something I found out that could be a problem or at least an bit of an issue is that not all Nissan dealerships can or will service the NV1500,2500,3500. For me here in Southern Oregon I have one dealer in Medford and the next is up in the Portland area. Maybe one in Salem but I don't think so. That is at least a 4 hour drive away. Hmmm food for thought I guess.

Rocinante, we bought our Subaru through Costco's buying services and it went well.

Tony
Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
In one city where I lived the local dealer would give great deals to out-of-towners but stick it to the locals. Most ignored him and bought 30 miles away. The local still has to honor the warranty.
On the other hand, the one advantage I found to buying locally is priority service. The local dodge dealer would schedule an oil change two weeks out for those who were not local purchasers. I could have saved $800 on my Dakota by purchasing in Toronto but chose to buy at the local dealer so I had some leverage on him. First time I hooked up the AS getting ready to caravan to a rally, I had an engine code pop up. I called the dealer and said I would be there in 10 minutes to see what was happening. The dealership owner personally took the reader to my truck. cleared the code and said don't worry. On my way to the rally in under 45 minutes....try getting that service if you buy out-of-town!

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The question of leverage vs purchase price is worth considering. We went with an internet deal, because our local dealers are reluctant to sell at significant discounts. It's not impossible, but more likely if you are a repeat customer or leasing. We were not a repeat customer, not leasing, and uninterested in a long negotiation marathon. We also believed that service is a profit center and likely would not be an issue. There are several dealers within a reasonably short distance, so we had options if we were wrong.

Given a local dealer who will work with you at least somewhat, building a relationship with that dealer has value. But be aware that the relationship may be with the service writer and the sales associate, not specifically with the dealership.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Exactly PKI have had such a relationship with the service writer, at the Chevy D for my Express van. I have a call in to him now. They are also a Nissan dealer but one that doesn't sell the NV's but if they can handle my Chevy van they can handle the NV3500, I suspect. It maybe a matter of will or what is allowed by Nissan.

Tony