Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #21

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Buying a Blue Ox Hitch, buying question..

Question to Etrailer:
What is the correct blue ox sway pro for a 2012 Airstream trailer? Standard or under mount?

Response from Etrailer. Either they didn’t read or understand the question.

Thank you for your email and interest in etrailer.com.
When choosing weight distribution it is key that we know exactly what our unloaded and loaded tongue weights are on the trailer we are pulling. We must choose a system that is light weight enough to handle your trailer while dry but heavy enough to engage properly while fully loaded. I can make a suggestion based on your estimates but please know that we would not be able to accept a weight distribution system back once it has been installed if you find it is not properly working for your needs.

We also need to know the height difference between your towed vehicle and trailer. I have included a few articles below that I feel would be helpful in obtaining this information.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
On the sales page, there is a picture with a ruler on it. To the left are choices; instructions, warranty and literature. Click on literature and on page 2 it shows under and over mount.
I have over on my 10 FC. Follow the instructions and it is an easy set-up. Only problem I had was getting the torque wrench and socket for the ball. I used the hitch on my truck to help put the receiver on rt angle to help tighten the nuts.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Sherrif - per the E-trailer web site.
-------------------------------------------------------
The difference between Blue Ox SwayPro heads # BXW4011 and # BXW4012 is the angle at which the trunnions are relative to the head. Head # BXW4012 is designed for underslung, also called bottom-mount, couplers so the bars are not at as a steep of an angle compared to the standard version # BXW4011. It is hard to tell without looking at them next to each other.

An underslung coupler would look like # CA-5335-B and would be mounted at the bottom of the tongue rather than at the top like a standard coupler. So if you have this style you would need # BXW4012.

If you have a regular coupler positioned at the top of the tongue you would need # BXW4011. If you are not certain you can email me a picture of the tongue/coupler and I will be happy to identify it for you.

expert reply by: Michael H

edit - on the website - the CA-5335-B is a link to a picture of an underslung coupler
----------------------------------------------------

Believe you want a standard head. The BO works with preload dialed into the spring bars. Less bar angle only is required if the coupler is mounted low. The AS couplers are not underslung. Suggest you send them a picture to get E-trailer's determination if the above is unclear. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
I asked etrailer as well and included a pic of my coupler. You can see the response here. http://www.etrailer.com/question-333319.html?fb=yes

They say standard head. So, two sources do not agree with my AS dealer (Bretz in Missoula MT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Question to Etrailer:
What is the correct blue ox sway pro for a 2012 Airstream trailer? Standard or undermount.
eganwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
We use the standard hitch head with our blue ox. To my knowledge our airstreams do not use underslung couplers.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
I've created another thread asking about a 2nd hitch type, just wondering if anyone had an opinion.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post2197368

Best,
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Blue Ox online purchase

We'd bought a Blue Ox hitch from the dealer with our Airstream. When we downsized, we bought new lighter capacity Blue Ox spring bars for the hitch from Hitchfinder.com with great service and results. Instead of replacing the hitch with a change in trailer size, you just change out the tension bars.
Cheryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
2019 25' International
McKinney , TX
For my first AS (FC19CB) I had the dealer throw in the Blue Ox as a no charge item as part of my delivery. For my 2nd Airstream (IS 25FBT) they were happy to swap out and install the unit as part of the delivery with no charge. Either way, most reputable dealers should be happy to install what you may already have at no cost as part of the delivery process. This way both you and the dealer know it is installed properly, in particular as most states require a signed affidavit to the effect that the new AS was properly matched to the TV at the point of sale.
Jkohnle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Port Townsend , Washington
Hi. I got my blueox from dealer. Probably doesn’t matter where you get it. I love it! But...got 500 lb bars for 25’ int serenity. 1000 would work for sure. Most important is that trailer is level. Good luck! - tai
tincanblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
I have had two Blue Ox Sway Pro hitches and when I made contact with their customer service, I found them to be among the best that I have dealt with. They really stand behind their products! With that said, if you are going to do a self install go for the best price. If you feel that you need a professional installation, buy it from a dealer.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orange , California
Check into the Andersen Hitch before you buy! There're incredible!!
Big Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
I bought mine off craigslist for around $200. It was only used long enough to tow a trailer to a permanent location and then removed from the tow vehicle and trailer and stored in a garage. I had no instructions but a friend who had one set it all up for me and printed out the manual for me. I have had zero issues with it. Word of warning: don't use that crappy little wrench thing to set your bars. Get a long breaker bar and socket from Harbor Freight. You don't want your face or hands anywhere near that thing when you are trying to crank it up or down. Also jack up both the vehicle and the trailer to release pressure on the bars before hooking up or disconnecting. I forgot the first time to crank it up when I went to disconnect and it about broke my wrist.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Green Cove Springs , Florida
My truck has a 2 1/2 inch receiver so I would prefer the 2 1/2 inch shank with the 1000 pound bars. Has anyone ordered this setup? I can get the shank separate but it's > $150.
Riggs1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRiggs View Post
My truck has a 2 1/2 inch receiver so I would prefer the 2 1/2 inch shank with the 1000 pound bars. Has anyone ordered this setup? I can get the shank separate but it's > $150.

I would love to do this as well but the drop isn’t as much on the larger shank models. That’s dumb to me as all the bigger trucks with 2.5” receivers have a higher stance too...but regardless I’m stuck using my trucks included adapter sleeve.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I would love to do this as well but the drop isn’t as much on the larger shank models. That’s dumb to me as all the bigger trucks with 2.5” receivers have a higher stance too...but regardless I’m stuck using my trucks included adapter sleeve.

8" isn't enough drop for you?
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #36
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincanblues View Post
-- snip --got 500 lb bars for 25’ int serenity. 1000 would work for sure. -- snip --
This is a valid point for the real issue that the bars get exchanged. You have to check what you are getting. Our hitch was incorect for the packaging, because a tech had exchanged them prior and not remarked the box.

From the internet - Blue Ox has an easy system for determining the weight capacity of your spring bars, whereas other companies may use measurements or printed capacity to assist. With Blue Ox, there is a 5 dimple system: No dimples means it is rated for up to 350 lbs total tongue weight. One dimple means it is rated for up to 550 lbs. Two dimples indicates up to 750 lbs. Three dimples indicates up to 1,000 lbs. Four dimples indicates up to 1,500 lbs tongue weight. Five dimples indicates up to 2,000 lbs total tongue weight.

Know what you need and verify what is installed is correct. Pat
Old 01-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I was looking at the BXW1003 for my hitch. We have a 27 FBQ Globetrotter ordered. I will be pulling it with a 2013 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4, gasser. The 2 1/2 inch shank has the same mounting holes as the 2 inch shank with the BXW 1003. As an aside, my build sheet/MSRP lists the hitch ball height as 17 3/4 inch. I am assuming I can use that and my truck receiver height to assure I pick a drop height shank that will work.
Riggs1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #38
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
FYI - Post 21 identifies experience with deformed spring bar and replacement.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-192842-2.html
Old 11-24-2020, 06:11 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Stuart , Florida
This Blue Ox

Any experience with this Blue Ox system?
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...x/BLU36FR.html

Looking to use on a 16' Caravel and towing with a Jeep Gladiator with tow package. 600 lb hitch and 6,000 lb max GVW of the trailer (specs for the Jeep).

I was going to use an Anderson but an e-mail from Anderson when I asked if their system worked with the new "Demco Couplers" the e-mail said NO. Do not use Anderson with this Demco.

Bob
Mighty Mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Bob, the new Blue Ox is a nice improvement over the Equalizer style hitches. They are less stiff and also have the differential geometry like their original models which I used for 10k miles and I liked how it worked. But it is more hitch than you need for the 16' trailer in that Blue Ox hitches protrude further back than ideal and it is heavy due to the massive heavy duty ball mount. If you like the idea and you get it, you won't be disappointed but it is overkill.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote