Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Hmmm what??
A double axle trailer may be less affected by road irregularities than a single axle. Don't know if this applies to the op or not.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #22
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
The worst road I encountered was in western NE. We were coming up I-29N to meet I-80W. Rt 2 cuts off the corner between Lincoln and Nebraska City. I thought I was going to lose my load! When you've got 15,000 lbs of bucking and bobbing steel and aluminum, something's got to give! It's a good thing the police didn't stop me for going slow. I would have unloaded all my frustration all over him! I'd probably still be locked up, lol.
THAT'S THE ROAD that caused me to write the post that started this thread! I drove 2500 miles from S Florida to Utah in October, and I took rte 2. I seriously pulled over thinking I had a flat tire. I tried slower, faster, less WD tension--nothing helped. Dog was bouncing in the back seat and my guts were getting jack hammered. I never thought it would end--brutal!

Glad to hear it's not just me.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I have always had porpoising on I 69 from Port Huron to Flint; concrete road having been patched at the joints, but not scarfed to level the pavement. My rig is a 25 Classic on a Dakota Quad-cab. It always happened on my '89 and now on the '96 with a Hensley Hitch. It is definitely a Harmonic thing. ..just the right ( or wrong) wheelbase and trailer combo. I just adjust speed and suffer through it since making changes to the torsion bars or weight distribution may or may not only solve the problem for that road, which will not necessarily be right for the rest of the trip. If it is very concrete-road specific I wouldn't blame your rig...it is the road.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
THAT'S THE ROAD that caused me to write the post that started this thread! I drove 2500 miles from S Florida to Utah in October, and I took rte 2. I seriously pulled over thinking I had a flat tire. I tried slower, faster, less WD tension--nothing helped. Dog was bouncing in the back seat and my guts were getting jack hammered. I never thought it would end--brutal!

Glad to hear it's not just me.
LOL!!! Boy do I feel vindicated!!! It wasn't ME!!

I'mjust glad nobody could see me inside my truck as I drovedown the road. It wasn't pretty.

My Sequoia and your Tundra have different wheelbases, and my trailer has THREE axles, so it was THE ROAD!!!

There are other roads that pitch and buck too, but Rt 2 was the worst that I recall.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I had a friend who had a 2000 4.7L Tundra small pickup 4x4 towing a 25 foot Arctic Fox trailer.

With full tank of water and supplies, when traveling the asphalt in Wyoming, his front end of the Tundra would almost leave the surface of the road on undulating asphalt on some two lane State Highways.

When he purchased a 2014 Tundra, 5.7L full sized 4x4 pickup... never an issue.

I do not know what his hitch was, but the larger Tundra took care of his complaints.

I towed a 23 foot Safari with the smaller 2006 4x4 Tundra with shell, without any problems. The hitch was the one using the chains. I never knew the name of the hitch. The 2008 5.7L 4x4 Tundra with shell towed the 23 foot Safari with ease. Nothing to complain about. The Rocky Mountains have roads of all kinds and never noticed anything worth noting. I also towed the 25 foot with a 2014 4x4 Tundra with shell without incident. Although the rear of the Tundra was down three inches more than I would have liked... If I tried to adjust more weight to the front of the tow vehicle, it did little, but the ride was very stiff.

I now tow the 25 foot with a 2016 4x4 F350 Diesel with shell and although the 18" Michelins give me a stiff ride... this is the best combination of ALL. If you can borrow a F250 to pull your 23 foot Airstream... you will notice that your issue may be your Tundra and the weight when fully loaded.

You may have to sacrifice some comfort and safety with the lighter Tundra towing. It is a wonderful truck... but probably not the best for your trailer size.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
50 wretched miles in a 2500 mile trip isn't enough to switch out a tow vehicle.

There are other patches of frustrating road, but they are in the minority. Actually the road wasn't that bad for anyone else. But it was just enough lip at just the wrong interval to pitch me and my load.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Green Bay , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
50 wretched miles in a 2500 mile trip isn't enough to switch out a tow vehicle.

There are other patches of frustrating road, but they are in the minority. Actually the road wasn't that bad for anyone else. But it was just enough lip at just the wrong interval to pitch me and my load.

I'm considering an AirSafe hitch assembly to use with my Equalizer hitch. I imagine all of us have experienced this repetitive road rage motion. Our worst was crossing Louisiana on I10.
Excella1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
get someone like can am RV to look at your setup. they may find a simple fix.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I use an Airsafe, either it is working or they got my dollars. I pull a 30' FC 2014 with a 3/4 Duramax and Reese Dusl Cam. Seems to be an ok quiet ride, just traded for another 30' FC 2018 ( on order) will stick with same hook up. Tire pressure on TV and Airstream is a consideration, highly recommend a TPMS .
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Our "inaugural ride" with our then new 2016 27 FB was from the Seattle area to the rally last July in WVA, a total of 9 K miles roundtrip. What we experienced was a lot of pots & pans on the floor & the microwave landing there, too, twice. I had never experienced such bumpy roads. Not all roads; just many; particularly those under construction. While in WVA, I ordered an AirRide hitch & had it delivered to home. Once home, I installed it between the truck & the Blue Ox Sway Pro. It has all but eliminated the bumps thereafter.
How hard was it to install? What product did you select, class lV or V? How much did it cost? I have a '15 27 FB and the Blue Ox, This seems like a good addition.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
This harmonic bouncing while towing is called porpoising. Either speed up or slow down to change the rhythm. Shift some cargo weight forward in the trailer. Changing tension on the WD torsion bars might help too.

There are several threads on this forum you will find if you use the search function.

Experts in the industry call it " Axle Wrap " .
It is caused by the individual concrete slabs heaving and settling at differing heights. The joints are simply noise makers.
My ride improved 110 % going from the EZ lift torsion bar Hitch to the Blue Ox with the spring style. The ride is day and night and great sway prevention.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Dadeville , Alabama
I had the same experience in western NE.
Viperdogg is offline   Reply With Quote