Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Redmond , OR
Break away brake cable

Where are people connecting their break away cable? My cable is quite long so I loop it through itself and connect it to the truck hitch.
VinceJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Ideally the cable is as short as possible. This so the brakes will activate should the trailer accidentally fall off the ball but is still attached by the safety chains. This scenario is where those coiled breakaway cables for sale in the store probably won't work, too long.

The other scenario is where the entire hitch falls off. If the breakaway cable is attached to the hitch it won't activate the brakes. I mount my breakaway cable to a discrete metal eye attached to the bumper just below the tailgate.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is some debate about the proper function of the break away. Some folks believe that if it activates with the chains still attached ... that's a problem. They like a longer cable. The folks in the "active fast" group want shorter cables. Like "which truck is best" there are long and passionate debates about this. You either believe one side and one side only or you are an idiot .....

The one thing that most agree to is that it needs to be attached to the TV .

Ideally you would want it attached to someplace other than the receiver structure and someplace else than the chain attachment point. Good luck finding anything that remotely comes close to meeting those requirements on the typical vehicle ..... The typical answer is to attach to the same location as the chains.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The hitch and the chain attachments are welded to the frame. Attach the breadaway to the bumper. I know of 1 failure where the hitch came off the truck and the breakaway stopped the trailer without damage. That would not have happened if the chains and the break a way were attached to the same spot. The way a hitch comes off is if the welds are faulty.

I do not agree that attaching to the same place is "typical". It is just wrong. I have only seen it a few times in several hundred inspections and the people moved the attachment point when it was discussed. I guess there is some value to leaving morning inspections on caravans.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
If you have a long enough cable it could be attached to a tie down in the truck bed, SUV or Crossovers, good luck!
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
The hitch and the chain attachments are welded to the frame. Attach the breadaway to the bumper. I know of 1 failure where the hitch came off the truck and the breakaway stopped the trailer without damage. That would not have happened if the chains and the break a way were attached to the same spot. The way a hitch comes off is if the welds are faulty.

I do not agree that attaching to the same place is "typical". It is just wrong. I have only seen it a few times in several hundred inspections and the people moved the attachment point when it was discussed. I guess there is some value to leaving morning inspections on caravans.
Hi

If you have a Ford truck, attaching to the bumper is not a practical option ..... Not to many choices on the back of a Sprinter van either.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
I replaced one screw from the license plate with an eye bolt on my F-150. When I pushed on the cable with my foot, it came out of the switch first so I think this works well enough. Just make sure it’s short enough to activate even if the chains are being used.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
I replaced one screw from the license plate with an eye bolt on my F-150. When I pushed on the cable with my foot, it came out of the switch first so I think this works well enough. Just make sure it’s short enough to activate even if the chains are being used.

hmm! On my truck it’s just plastic mounts that hold the screw that attaches the license plate to the bumper, it’s not very strong.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I had a loaded up utility trailer come off the ball when driving over a hidden sunken spot in the road. Though the safety chains did their job by hanging on, they yanked the trailer where it then reared up, bounced forward, and speared the tongue right into the tailgate.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post

So, this is something that’s been on my round-tuit list…. So I went out and looked….

My bumper is plastic. Thus far, yeah, I’ve been clipping the breakaway break switch to my receiver with the chains, because that’s ’the’ place available to clip to… the plastic on the bumper is molded, it’s not something structural to mount to… the exhaust exits through the bumper, can’t clip to it…. I can’t clip to something in the bed, the tailgate is too snug to let a cable pass….

Yeah, I might have to put a closer eye on the tag mount, see if I can figure out a way to not look half-done…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98F45C09-28F9-4D28-ACDF-98158CA89B32.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	610.0 KB
ID:	423284  
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceJJ View Post
Where are people connecting their break away cable? My cable is quite long so I loop it through itself and connect it to the truck hitch.

Legally, only connect the break-away cable to the truck's frame. Or otherwise the same place as the chains.

Not the hitch, or the chains links, or the hitch shank etc.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:35 AM   #12
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Legally, only connect the break-away cable to the truck's frame. Or otherwise the same place as the chains.

Not the hitch, or the chains links, or the hitch shank etc.
What statute or code are you referring to?

I've looked for this in the past and wasn't able to find anything other than the requirement that the breakaway system must be able to apply the brakes for 15 minutes in the event the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #13
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Whatever you do, don't buy the stretchy kind.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy the stretchy kind.
Why not?
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I drilled a hole in my bumper, installed stainless steel eye and connect break away to this
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
We’ve always towed with a car. I have a chain repair link and couple of large washers on the looped end of the cable. I simply throw that end in the trunk or hatch when hitching up.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
My breakaway connects to the hitch in the same location as the safety chains.
If the hitch fell off it would have to take the bumper with it as they are all bolted together.

I’d my trailer fell off the ball the tongue should land on the crossed safety chains and I would be able to stop safely using the truck and trailer brakes.
If the trailer brakes locked up while still attached by chains I would loose all control of the trailer and may end up stopped in an unsafe location.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #18
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I had a stinger fail at a slow speed. The crossed safety chains save the day. On my trailer with disc brakes the electric/hydraulic pump draws so much power that the breakaway switch contacts melt the switch. It does not last over five minutes before failure. With disc brakes the whole rig would stop in minute or so. There are no heavier duty switches available.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #19
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I had a stinger fail at a slow speed. The crossed safety chains save the day. On my trailer with disc brakes the electric/hydraulic pump draws so much power that the breakaway switch contacts melt the switch. It does not last over five minutes before failure. With disc brakes the whole rig would stop in minute or so. There are no heavier duty switches available.
guskmg
Have you seen these? Not as much plastic to melt, at least not what's visible.

"Tekonsha 2009-P Breakaway Switch" https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-2009...a-568069458849
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Where to attach cable.

I teach safe towing classes to utility companies across the nation and this issue comes up quite often. Here is my take.
If you attach the cable where the chains are attached and the welds on the receiver breaks then the whole things comes of the hitch system. I've investigated some accidents where this happened. The cause was the misuse of the hitch in the past like overload the hitch or using the hitch trying to pull up things like pulling another vehicle out from being stuck and jerking the hitch and breaking the welds. The hitch is for towing with a measurement of weight stamped on it and not to be exceeded.
Here is what I recommend on attaching the cable. Unscrew one of the bolts in the license Plate in the bumper and replace iy with and I-Bolt. Place a snap ring into the I-Bolt on one side and the cable loop in the Snap Ring. It doesn't take much to activate the breaks once the trailer comes loose and heaven forbid someone has been letting their chains drag the pavement and they have warn down to paper thin like I have seen and they break.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote