Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Brake controller

Howdy,
We are picking up our first (Airstream) travel trailer in a couple weeks.
So we're almost as green as grass.

We've had a teardrop so trailer brakes weren't an issue we've had to deal with before.

The dealership suggested a Curt Echo wireless that plugs into your 7 pin.
The Curt is over $200.

My TV is a 2011 Tundra Limited w/tow pkg so I know a plug-in in the cab wouldn't be a huge installation problem.

I wondered if there was consensus among the experts on here?

Thanks for the shared experience (we sure used when it came to picking out our unit),
Mickey
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I use a wireless brake controller (different brand), and it works just fine, but there are very specific reasons why I chose this kind of controller (my tow vehicle would have required extensive fiddling with the wiring to set up a wired controller).

If your vehicle already has the wiring in place, and it is just a matter of installing and plugging in a hard-wired controller, I would go that route. It should be cheaper, and probably a little more reliable/robust as you aren't worrying about radio interference, syncing/pairing, etc.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
Brake Controller

I have a PRODIGY controller that I used for about a month before I decided that my ML350 was not the right TV. My new F250 with trailer package is great. So I have the Prodigy mod #90250 that I will let go at a very reasonable price if interested.
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
My TV is a 2011 Tundra Limited w/tow pkg so I know a plug-in in the cab wouldn't be a huge installation problem.
I have a 2015 Tundra and it was "pre wired" for a brake controller. Not sure about 2011, but there's a ton of YouTube videos. I selected the Tekonsha P-3 which is very popular. About $120 on Amazon, plus you'll need a adapter cable if you're pre wired. #3017(?)
I installed it myself in about an hour, because I was anal about mounting the bracket. The actual installation is to plug in two connectors and you're done.
2011: https://www.etrailer.com/question-94137.html

Here's one for a 2010 Tundra.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
I bounced my question off CanAm RV center and they recommended the P2 Prodigy.

Is there a significant difference between the P2 and P3?
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Moreland , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I bounced my question off CanAm RV center and they recommended the P2 Prodigy.

Is there a significant difference between the P2 and P3?
I realize this is a little late to the party but if you have not yet set up for the brake controller, this will be helpful. It would be nice if the RV centers would simply look at the application sheets for p/n's and such so they could recommend the BEST product rather than something absurd such as a wireless controller when you have the wiring installed.

The P3 has a nicer display, and all of the buttons are on the front, while the P2 has a button and thumb wheel on the upper surface near the face. The P2 display is simpler and shows less info. Biggest difference is that the P3 can store boost settings, number of axles, elect or elect/hyd for four different trailers. The P2 doesn't appear to have that capability.

2003-2014 Tundra's use a p/n 3040-P adapter harness for the Tekonsha controllers. The connector is found (according to the Tekonsha application guide), in the LH kick panel area. This is plug and play.

If you bought another brand of controller and needed a harness, a Tekonsha 3040-S harness has a plug to mate to the vehicle and bare wires on the other end to splice to the connector for whatever controller you bought. If you buy a Tekonsha controller, it comes with a universal harness that you discard or don't use if using one of the custom harnesses.

Charles