Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Oxford , MS
Bottle vs pumped DEF

Bout time i put some DEF in my first diesel tow vehicle. I am hesitant to use DEF out of the pump, not knowing how long it sat in there, or what brand it might be. Am i being to OCD, or should I pay a little more for the bottled stuff? PS, this truck cost me more than my second house, so i donít want to screw it up, right?
BlakeSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
I think itís more of a personal choice, personally I use Blue DEF only, and I always check the expiration date. If you ever have to replace your DEF sensors or heater you will understand. But thatís me. Iím also picky about Mustard, Ketchup and Mayonnaise
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If it is pumped at a busy truck stop, it will be pretty fresh. Semis use a lot of DEF. And screwing up OTR commercial truck fleets is not a good way to grow a truck stop business.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Same here, I leave nothing to chance, Blue DEF from Autozone for me. Be sure to study up on Inverse Julian Dating, it's very confusing but normally at Autozone I can find it only a month or two old, last time it was only a few weeks old. They should also be displaying it out of the sunlight. The first (and last) time I bought DEF at the dealer it was a year old!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue def code.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	400967  
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
It may be overkill and unnecessary, but I avoid pumped DEF and purchase Motorcraft DEF direct from my Ford dealer. They actually give me a good discount price on 2 1/2 gallon jugs that is cheaper than I've seen elsewhere for other aftermarket DEF.

Maybe other bottle brands have this too, but Ford sells a reusable nozzle that fits the jugs and allows for convenient, spill-free fills.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I have filled up from busy truck stops a few times and not had an issue with codes etc. I was a Blue DEF person as well, but I have the vintage of Duramax that has the filler under the hood and I hate standing on my tip toes balancing a 2.5 gallon plastic bottle without spilling too much.

I think youíd be OK with a busy truck stop, but understand the hesitancy.
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have used the house brand from Walmart, Tractor Supply, Rural King and NAPA with no problem. Blue DEF when I find it on sale.

Any sign of crystals ó just move onÖ

Havenít tried the bulk pumps, just havenít been in the right place at the right time.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
Iím also picky about Mustard, Ketchup and Mayonnaise
Most people arenít nearly picky enough about especially ketchup and mayonnaise, IMO. What they have most everywhere is terrible! Iíd rather eat plain fries than dip them in that stuff they are calling ketchup. And donít get me started on maraschino cherries!
As far as DEF, I think the brand isnít as important as how it is stored and how old it is. I tend to think that any gas station that goes to the trouble of installing a DEF pump probably goes through enough to keep it fresh.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Iíve used a Speedway Station near my house for 18 mos. No issues at all. I always fill up about two weeks before a trip in case there are any issues, Iíd have time to fix it.
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
IMHO -

Best and freshest is likely the pumped DEF from Truck stops with consistent traffic and underground storage.

Next is a jug/box with a recent date code and storage in a cool store.

Warning signs - storage in front window where the sun can heat the product - store that is not air conditioned - crystals in the pump nozzle or the jug - unsealed cap on jug.

What can you do? If the DEF is over a year old, drain it and replace with new. A refractometer can be used to test DEF concentration and verify status throughout that year. DEF can last 18 months under ideal conditions or less than a month under extreme conditions. Truly a use it or lose it - YMMV deal.

One fleet owner is recommending that you keep the DEF tank full. They do not run below half tank and top off often. Other folks recommend storing with not much in the tank. The concerns are too much may make waste and too little may result in crystals forming.

Peak now makes Blue Platinum DEF. It is formulated to remove deposits from the DEF particle filter injector area. Keeping the system clean is expected to improve emissions reduction performance. Not for the bargain shopper as it is about $10/gallon.

Please post your experience. Warning, a recent post stated empty DEF shelves at
Walmart in Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Lots of RVers visiting. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I used DEF fill at a truck stop just recently. First time in 4 years since owning the truck.

Man it was convenient and fast. Cheaper too. It's urea and deionized water. Not sure how that can get screwed up. Shelf life is like 2 years. I'm hooked
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
What can you do? If the DEF is over a year old, drain it and replace with new. A refractometer can be used to test DEF concentration and verify status throughout that year.
I can't speak to other vehicle manufacturers, but it is not possible to drain the DEF tank from my Jeep diesel and RAM diesel vehicles without physically removing the tank from the vehicle - it's not a DIY, "let me take 5 minutes to check my DEF" project. Once it's in the tank, you no longer have any recourse - you'll use it up or you'll bring it to the dealer to empty it.

Most likely if it's the latter, the dealer will be replacing the DEF injector and/or other parts of the DEF system. Ask how me how I know this (twice).

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
DEF at the pump

I have almost 2 million miles driving Class 8 trucks. All the trucks I drove over the past many years used DEF from the pump. I have pumped hundreds, if not thousands of gallons of DEF into these trucks and have not had a problem. Way less expensive than buying 2 1/2 gallon jugs. I do not own a diesel pickup and never will. Gas power these days for I do is just fine and a bunch less expensive.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
-- snip -- it is not possible to drain the DEF tank from my Jeep diesel and RAM diesel vehicles without physically removing the tank from the vehicle -- snip -- Jim
What goes in can come out - You might consider the use of a vacuum fluid extraction tank. Walmart sells one. West Marine sells one. They are even on E-bay. They work for many functions. Oil removal from boat engines that are inconvenient to drain was where we first learned of their value. A DEF tank might be easily drained with such a device. Pat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28346551172...oAAOSw3qVgQG71
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
What goes in can come out - You might consider the use of a vacuum fluid extraction tank. Walmart sells one. West Marine sells one. They are even on E-bay. They work for many functions. Oil removal from boat engines that are inconvenient to drain was where we first learned of their value. A DEF tank might be easily drained with such a device. Pat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28346551172...oAAOSw3qVgQG71
exactly my thoughts
Old 08-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
I wouldnít worry too much about the ďquality ď of DEF. I have to use the 2.5 gal jugs because VW put the fill under the spare tire in the cargo area of the Touareg, I donít want to take everything out of the car at the gas station. I buy what ever is the cheapest.
Khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I think everyone is overthinking the DEF thing. It is not some secret, magical formula. I found myself out in the middle of nowhere when the def light came on. 2018 Duramax. Unfortunately, I was towing a pretty heavy trailer and went through the remaining DEF before I could get some. Stopped at 2 stations that did not have it. I dumped a gallon of demineralized water (Used it for the coffee pot in the trailer) and a jug of windshield washer antifreeze in the tank. I know, I carry a spare jug of windshield washer but not DEF, duh! The DEF warning went out and it drove just fine for 2 more hours before I came across the real thing. Added the big jug of DEF and carried on. Never had an issue.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
I dumped a gallon of demineralized water (Used it for the coffee pot in the trailer) and a jug of windshield washer antifreeze in the tank. I know, I carry a spare jug of windshield washer but not DEF, duh!.

Thatís true MacGyver stuff right there!!! I donít think I would have had the guts to do that. The water maybe. But the antifreeze. Yikes!
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I have used the house brand from Walmart, Tractor Supply, Rural King and NAPA with no problem. Blue DEF when I find it on sale.

Any sign of crystals ó just move onÖ

Havenít tried the bulk pumps, just havenít been in the right place at the right time.

I also use all the brands. And I pump DEF at the big truck stops (flying j, mainly, through the truck lanes). Never any issues.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
I also use all the brands. And I pump DEF at the big truck stops (flying j, mainly, through the truck lanes). Never any issues.

Ditto. Mostly pump at truck stops (loves) also Ford when I have service done.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote