Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 04:44 AM   #1

2021 19' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
BMW x5 45e and AS caravel 19cb

Hey guys. Looking for guidance. We ordered an AS Caravel 19cb and plan to use our bmw x5 45e to tow. We didnt have the hitch factory installed so we will need an aftermarket one. Does anyone have the same (or similar) setup? My biggest anxiety is regarding the tongue weight. Right now it seems that the BMW's tongue capacity of 595 lbs > AS dry tongue weight of 550. But as i load the RV, im afraid the BMW's capacity will be far more than exceeded? TIA!
JBMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
My son has the BMW setup installed on his X6M and it includes reprogramming (or a module that is part of the harness assembly can't remember which) so sway control and shift point revisions are implemented when you are connected. Looking at how the attachment of the hitch/receiver assembly is attached to the car it is very similar to the aftermarket versions I have seen and I would stick with what BMW sets the tongue limit and of course that tongue weight is part of your payload limit don't forget.

So, either you stick with the tongue weight limits, (maybe only fill one propane tank if you are close) or go with a custom setup from the folks up north that seem to be highly regarded by the mid size SUV folks for towing setups. My son did not want anything non BMW factory.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:52 PM   #3

2021 19' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Thanks for the info. When you say folks up north, did you mean can am?
JBMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Someone can correct me but I think this place....

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/

No personal experience or opinion on this approach
Old 01-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMd View Post
Hey guys. Looking for guidance. We ordered an AS Caravel 19cb and plan to use our bmw x5 45e to tow. We didnt have the hitch factory installed so we will need an aftermarket one. Does anyone have the same (or similar) setup? My biggest anxiety is regarding the tongue weight. Right now it seems that the BMW's tongue capacity of 595 lbs > AS dry tongue weight of 550. But as i load the RV, im afraid the BMW's capacity will be far more than exceeded? TIA!
Did you move forward with towing the 19CB (or other Airstream) with your X5 45e? We also have the 45e with a Caravel 16RB on order and would love to hear about your experience towing with the 45e. Thanks.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
My understanding is that GVWR minus Curb Weight = Payload. On the BMW 45e, according to these specs of 6967 GVWR - 5672 curb weight, max payload should be 1295 lbs (and official BMW press shows curb weight of 5533 lbs, which would give a bit more at 1434 lbs payload).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	411688

If that’s the case, why do you suppose BMW is listing max payload at 937? The stickers on the door of my car list same GVWR and 947 lbs payload. Doesn’t make sense to me.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
CANAM set up my 2014 ML350 BluTech to tow a 25. Great folks with vast amounts of actual experience. This was one of the best combinations we have had.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
My understanding is that GVWR minus Curb Weight = Payload. On the BMW 45e, according to these specs of 6967 GVWR - 5672 curb weight, max payload should be 1295 lbs (and official BMW press shows curb weight of 5533 lbs, which would give a bit more at 1434 lbs payload).

Attachment 411688

If that’s the case, why do you suppose BMW is listing max payload at 937? The stickers on the door of my car list same GVWR and 947 lbs payload. Doesn’t make sense to me.
Does the X5 have the 3rd row seat and airbags? The hybrid also has a slightly lower tow capacity from the 40.

BMW has 2 stickers for the X5. My non-hybrid lists 551 lbs. The Euro versions are different still.

It's an estimate based on options. Unlike some of the American manufacturers, BMW doesn't literally weigh it. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it yourself.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:17 PM   #9
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Does the X5 have the 3rd row seat and airbags? The hybrid also has a slightly lower tow capacity from the 40.

BMW has 2 stickers for the X5. My non-hybrid lists 551 lbs. The Euro versions are different still.

It's an estimate based on options. Unlike some of the American manufacturers, BMW doesn't literally weigh it. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it yourself.

The 45e is not available with a 3rd row. It has air suspension standard. No variance there. 551 lbs is also max hitch weight for the 45e… I think across all models in fact. The question is if you put 551 lbs of hitch weight on it do you have 744 lbs of payload left or 396 lbs? If it’s only 390 lbs that’s only about 50 lbs. of cargo after 2 passengers, and maybe nothing if you add the weight of a WD hitch.

Ultimately seems like if I weigh it and it’s at or under GVWR the listed payload shouldn’t be relevant.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:46 PM   #10
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Don’t know where C&D got these numbers, but interestingly they show a 595 max hitch weight with a WD hitch, and show the max 5952 trailer weight only with a WD hitch. https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x5/...in-hybrid_2021
Old 02-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Don’t know where C&D got these numbers, but interestingly they show a 595 max hitch weight with a WD hitch, and show the max 5952 trailer weight only with a WD hitch. https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x5/...in-hybrid_2021
10% of tow weight.

Research the BMW carefully and talk to someone who sets up towing for them on a regular basis. They're great TVs but the numbers are confusing and inconsistent.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
We have a 2020 Drive with the air suspension and tow package. 551 is the max tongue weight and 7,200 max trailer weight. It's frustrating.

Quote:
The 45e is not available with a 3rd row. It has air suspension standard. No variance there. 551 lbs is also max hitch weight for the 45e… I think across all models in fact. The question is if you put 551 lbs of hitch weight on it do you have 744 lbs of payload left or 396 lbs? If it’s only 390 lbs that’s only about 50 lbs. of cargo after 2 passengers, and maybe nothing if you add the weight of a WD hitch.

Ultimately seems like if I weigh it and it’s at or under GVWR the listed payload shouldn’t be relevant.
WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
Can you pull up the specs in your owners manual? Ours for 2020 states no WD allowed.

Quote:
WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

Attachment 411688

Trying to read too much into published specifications can be a challenge. First step is to know if the published specification is accurate, and then whether it applies to the specific model you are considering.

That said, on multiple BMW vehicles I towed with, the door jamb payload sticker did not represent actual maximum payload. It was the same value as the published brochure. My conclusion was that BMW did not see maximizing published payload as a marketing benefit, so they picked a payload that all configurations met, and printed up one label, which they applied to all vehicles. I don't know that is actually true, but I did know that in my case, the payload label was the same as the brochure payload, and not the actual for my vehicle, calculated from GVWR (published) less curb weight (as weighed).

The other thing that can impact a manufacturer's published payload is the consideration of where that payload can be located. My current (non-BMW) vehicle has three payload ratings for three storage locations (apart from the roof). They have rated each compartment separately. There is also a vehicle payload, but it comes down to where you can put it.

BMW target a 50% weight distribution front/rear, not considering towing. That is for handling. They could certainly have set a lower payload given the physical limitations on the location of the load, out of a desire to maintain some front/rear weight balance spec. What can change that is the use of WD equipment, which of course BMW do not consider.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #15
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
Can you pull up the specs in your owners manual? Ours for 2020 states no WD allowed.

My owners manual says nothing about WD, but the sticker on the hitch itself says “wt. distr. forbidden”.

Name:	IMG_0513.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	411754
Old 02-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #16
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I contacted Can-Am for advice on towing a Caravel 16RB and specifically asked about WD not being permitted. This was their reply:

“With the proper equipment, the X5 will safely and easily tow the 16. We don't recommend towing the 16 without using weight-distribution. It is much safer to use than not. It will ride better, handle better, stop better, stay more secure on the ball and perform better in every way. There is no safety or durability issue with the hitch.

Here's some back story...
WDHs aren’t used in Europe for one historical reason… Back in the 1960s, the Eaz-Lift company tried to introduce their WDH to the European market. The European RV industry panicked and thought the US would subsequently try to gain a foothold and start flooding the market with North American trailers. Legislation was soon enacted to ban the sale of the Eaz-Lift (and all WDHs as a result).

We would set it up with an Eaz-Lift Elite weight-distributing hitch with 600-pound bars and a friction sway control.”

My inclination, which is very much unlike me, is to ignore the BMW hitch warning and trust the experts at Can-Am based on their explanation… but would also love for someone to tell me WD is absolutely not necessary on a Caravel 16RB…
Old 02-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I contacted Can-Am for advice on towing a Caravel 16RB and specifically asked about WD not being permitted. This was their reply:

“With the proper equipment, the X5 will safely and easily tow the 16. We don't recommend towing the 16 without using weight-distribution. It is much safer to use than not. It will ride better, handle better, stop better, stay more secure on the ball and perform better in every way. There is no safety or durability issue with the hitch.

Here's some back story...
WDHs aren’t used in Europe for one historical reason… Back in the 1960s, the Eaz-Lift company tried to introduce their WDH to the European market. The European RV industry panicked and thought the US would subsequently try to gain a foothold and start flooding the market with North American trailers. Legislation was soon enacted to ban the sale of the Eaz-Lift (and all WDHs as a result).

We would set it up with an Eaz-Lift Elite weight-distributing hitch with 600-pound bars and a friction sway control.”

My inclination, which is very much unlike me, is to ignore the BMW hitch warning and trust the experts at Can-Am based on their explanation… but would also love for someone to tell me WD is absolutely not necessary on a Caravel 16RB…
I would be wary of using that hitch with WD. I would have no worries over towing with the X5 if it was equipped with an appropriate hitch.

Did CanAm specifically endorse using your specific receiver hitch with WD?

If not, Draw-Tite lists a hitch that is rated for WD. Listed on etrailer.com

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=202093082
Old 02-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #18
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I would be wary of using that hitch with WD. I would have no worries over towing with the X5 if it was equipped with an appropriate hitch.

Yes, in my message to them I specifically mentioned I had the factory hitch and that I was concerned about the WD prohibition. I think that’s why they went into history of WD in Europe…. my take is that their take is that the BMW and other European manufacturer prohibition on WD is not technically driven but rather is market/legally driven. BMW also states that max towing capacity is only available with factory hitch.

In any event there is no way I’m going to replace the factory hitch with an aftermarket one.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:54 PM   #19
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post

Also did you see this Q&A on the draw-tite hitch link you provided saying no hitches are available for the 45e that can be used with WD?

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	411761
Old 02-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #20
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Yes, in my message to them I specifically mentioned I had the factory hitch and that I was concerned about the WD prohibition. I think that’s why they went into history of WD in Europe…. my take is that their take is that the BMW and other European manufacturer prohibition on WD is not technically driven but rather is market/legally driven. BMW also states that max towing capacity is only available with factory hitch.

In any event there is no way I’m going to replace the factory hitch with an aftermarket one.
There have been warnings about using WD on multiple different generations of X5 models going back many years. On some X5 models WD worked fine. On others it didn't work at all. The issues were more so with the receivers with detachable arms or receiver sockets. Like yours may be (I can't tell from the photo). I wouldn't rely on simply asking about an X5 warning about WD, but rather show them a picture of your specific receiver and get confirmation that they have used that specific receiver successfully with WD equipment.

I understand your concern over replacing a factory receiver. I would replace it if the receiver structure didn't appear strong enough to use WD. Especially since they warn you not to. If one wasn't' readily available, I would fabricate one, or do a modification to the existing hitch.

If I knew I was never going to tow anything heavier than a 16, I probably wouldn't do any of this, but I would regularly inspect the factory hitch for signs of cracking or bending.

Quote:
Also did you see this Q&A on the draw-tite hitch link you provided saying no hitches are available for the 45e that can be used with WD?

Attachment 411761
I did not, but I also didn't know the year of your vehicle, so didn't search in any further detail.

With previous X5 models, issues with hitches not fitting have related to the fascia and trim. It may be that there is a conflict with the rear structure of the vehicle and where the receiver is mounted. If it is simply the fascia (note the fitment issues relating to the M model, which has a different fascia), I would work around it.

Tags
caravel