Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Bluetooth Webcam for iPad - Hooking Up Trailer

Is anyone using, or have a recommendation for a good Bluetooth webcam to use when hooking up the trailer solo? I use an iPad and a MacBook, so either one that works well on either would be OK.

I didn't see any threads on this in the forums.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I know it's not exactly what you were asking, but it's better than my first response was going to be about the fact that you have webcam built into both devices. I re-read your question and realized what you're looking for.

Here's what I use. It's basically an adjustable mirror on a telescoping stick with a magnet that holds it to the A-frame. No batteries, highly reliable. I've found it's good to have light on the area when hitching in the dark, I have an LED lantern that I've placed on the A-frame before and that worked out OK.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I know it's not exactly what you were asking, but it's better than my first response was going to be about the fact that you have webcam built into both devices. I re-read your question and realized what you're looking for.

Here's what I use. It's basically an adjustable mirror on a telescoping stick with a magnet that holds it to the A-frame. No batteries, highly reliable. I've found it's good to have light on the area when hitching in the dark, I have an LED lantern that I've placed on the A-frame before and that worked out OK.
If I can't find a good wireless webcam, I may revert to a mirror setup. Yes, both devices have a webcam, but it's hard to see them if you have them over the hitch

Thanks!!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I would love to see an app that will transmit images from my Iphone to my truck nav screen via Bluetooth. You could attach a holder for your phone on the back of the AS and transmit direct to your dashboard, eliminating the need for a back-up camera, screen and wiring.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, Maybe something like this would work:

Amazon.com: WiFi Baby (2012 Version) - iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, PC Baby Monitor. Wireless Video, Audio, Alerts. Anywhere. (WFBYMK4-N): Camera & Photo

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
iDroneCamera

This looks interesting.............and has built in WiFi

For backup/hookup and/or mount looking out the back window of the trailer with an iPad / iPhone in the cockpit.......?

I have a backup cam built in the TV, but would love a TT "rear view".

iDroneCamera

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Subscribing to this. It'd be great to...
1) be able to wire that baby cam into your 12v setup,
2) strip it out of that bulky plastic housing for a more stealth installation, and
3) add a second camera. I want to switch between the car's backup cam when hitching... to the one in the trailer's rear window while towing.

But the iPhone / Pad functionality is especially attractive because you're not clogging up the car with yet another screen... and another dumb interface.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
If you have wifi and 2 iPhones you can use FaceTime.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I use a Yada Digital Backup Camera. I use a 2 conductor flat trailer connector. Connects into the truck trailer connection, my truck has one that has all the combinations. I spliced a connector into my storage compartment light and connect the camera there to use the camera as a rearview cam when on the road. I used JB Weld to mount a camera mount on the rain gutter of the rear window. I also use the same camera on my boat. I also added a connection to my battery compartment and can connect a spot light or a 12 volt plug to run my air compressor, can do this front and rear. Don't forget a fuse.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The new GoPro Hero 3 camera has built in WIFI and corresponding apps that work on iOS and Android devices.

We use that camera for aerial videography, the WIFI has a reach of 600 to 900 ft, depending on the terrain. Should be enough for most trailers.
I am planning on installing one on the trailer as a backup camera.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I'm old school, travel alone most of time, hitch and unhitch about 25 times a year, no rearview mirror, so in and out of car to check. I can do it in as little as twice in and out of car to check, or my record is 23 times to get ball correct, but time wise, not more than 15 minutes, not too bad for low tech.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The new GoPro Hero 3 camera has built in WIFI and corresponding apps that work on iOS and Android devices.
Nifty! Just watched a video on how to pair the Hero with an iPhone... the main drawback being a 3 second delay between what's shot.... and when you see it on your screen. I suspect that may hamper accuracy when backing up.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Ahh, yes. In reality, there's two kind of delays. When just streaming the camera view to the camera, the delay is almost zero. When the camera is in shooting mode, there is a small delay, but less than three seconds, in my experience.

As I don't need to record what's going on, this should work perfectly.

@Sbb, this isn't a backup camera for the TV, I am not worried about hitching as my car has a built-in camera. This is a backup camera for the trailer, so I can see from that car what's going on in the very back.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote