Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Denver, NC , North Carolina
Blue Ox Sway Pro

So being the self sufficient person I am (not willing to pay for something I "should" be able to do), I decided to install my newly purchased online Blue Ox Sway Pro. 5 Calls to Blue Ox and several hours I am still not able to get the 9th chain link into the rotating latch as Blue Ox says I should. I have reviewed entire installation multiple times and sent pictures to Blue Ox tech support (who has been patient with me). On about the 3rd call they did point out that I needed to raise the trailer and truck with the trailer jack to improve the angle. Trailer is dead level but I'm only able to get to about the 7th link without having so much tension I can't latch and afraid to unlatch..... any suggestions? I wonder how high I need to raise the TV and trailer with the trailer jack. 27FT FB International and 2016 F250. I'm sure someone out there must have encountered this......
bbcubed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I raise my truck and trailer until the jack clicks once (i.e. as far as it'll go without abusing the jack) and from there am actually able to get the 10th link in the notch, and rotate the latches without undue force. (I'm just below the rating of my weight bars so they recommended I try the 10th link before trying heavier bars.) My trailer runs beautifully after I retract the jack.

I raise it again before unlatching the chains, so there's not a lot of energy stored in the system to cause a noisy/scary disconnect.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #3
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
In my set up I have 3 and a half links showing between the rotating locks and the bars, I used the Armadas towing guide to set the amount of tension applied. I do raise the tongue and truck up with the jack about 6 inches, that also tests that the ball is truly locked in the socket as well as making it easier to rotate the latches. Also make sure your truck and trailer are in a straight line.
Check the Fords owners manual for the suggested set up for your truck and when you are happy with it mark the link of chain that the lock grabs in the latch assy.

BTW, my bars have about 3 inches of bow in them when all is level and in a straight line

I really like the Blue Ox with my rig, but it did take a bit of set up to tune it in.

Happy and safe travels!
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote