Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #1

2021 22' Bambi
Richmond , Virginia
Blue Ox Bolt On/Through Brackets

Hey everyone,

New Airstream owner here. My wife and I picked up our 2021 Bambi 22' yesterday with the intention of installing a Blue Ox SwayPro before leaving the dealership. This model has dual batteries mounted behind the propane tanks, which leaves zero room for the Blue Ox clamp-on style lift brackets (see pics).

There's plenty of threads on this forum about the Blue Ox system, but I can't find any info about someone actually using the bolt-through style brackets as an alternative.

Am I the only one with an AS that's run into this problem ��?

I'm very hesitant about drilling holes into the trailer frame to get this system installed. Thoughts, suggestions, experiences are appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	395268   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	395269  

SanZanobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
harrisburg , Missouri
Hi, I'll throw my 2 cents in just to start brain storming. I do not know anything about the new airstreams, but I have been doing a shell off renovation of my 1955 overlander, so I do know some about making things work. Some things have to go where they go and that leaves other things around it to have to adjust. before drilling holes in your new frame, I know that when I researched the blue ox before I bought mine, several people had talked about their tanks being in the way and they shimmed them up higher to gain the room for the lift arm bracket. If there is enough slack in the cables, can you block up the battery box so that it mounts a little bit above the frame instead of down inside the frame where it is interfering with the bracket? Second option would be to ask if there is room inside the battery box between the box and the batteries, can the battery box be notched out to fit around the bracket and still give you room inside the box to clear the batteries. If the bolt is the only thing that hits the battery, can you shorten the bolt by cutting off a half inch of thread to get it to clear? my bolt sticks out about 1 1/2" after it is tightened down. There would be room to shorten it if necessary. Anyway, just a couple options to get started.
a duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #3

2021 22' Bambi
Richmond , Virginia
Great info and suggestions. Shimming the propane cover up just might work. A piece of the bracket could slide right under and still allow me to rotate it when setting tension. I think the battery pack will still be in the way of the clamp bolt so I would need to shorten it like you had mentioned.

Thanks again.
SanZanobi is offline   Reply With Quote