RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,228
Bilstein shocks for F-250

I decided to replace my shock on my 2017 F-250. I wanted Bilstein but could not figure out what model to buy. I finally called Bilstein and the guy kind of chastised me for not looking it up myself on the website.

Then he looked. Oops! They do not make a front shock for a Ford F-250 2017,18, or 19.

He apologized and said they are working on it. Wow! How today could this be?

He told me maybe sometime in Feb, March or April.

The Rancho shock I currently have are actually made by Autolite (Ford). Ho hum.
__________________
x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
nryn's Avatar

 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 525
Turk, apparently lots of folks have mounted Bilsteins on the rears. It involves swapping out or drilling out the bushings from the pre-2017 rear shocks. Here's a thread about it (there are many around the Intertubes).

Like you, I am amazed at how an aftermarket shock as popular as the Bilstein 5100 is not yet off-the-shelf ready in the third year of production for this truck.

I'm waiting to tow (for the first time) with my 2019 F-250--it'll happen in March. I suspect I'll want to change out the shocks but am reserving judgement (and money) until I see how the truck rides under load. Bilsteins are at the top of my list (based on previous experience with them).
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
Love them on my F150! Made an amazing improvement in towing. But then, my 2013 had one leaking shock on the rear.
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 837
Blog Entries: 1
I installed a set of KYB shocks on my 250 Dodge, a couple months ago.....Prior to that had Monroe shocks........amazing difference, both when towing and driving without the trailer......The biggest difference was towing.......
The problem with shock that are going bad, they go bad so gradually that you don't really notice in day to day driving......I've found that factory shocks are good for about 25,000 miles, most of the gas filled maybe 40,000.......I wonder how long these KYBs will last?
__________________
Old age is coming at a really bad time!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
silverlabs's Avatar
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 372
Blog Entries: 18
Kind of confusing to many on the Rancho shocks. If you have a FX4 package, this shocks are made by Ford - Just branded "Rancho". I found the same problem finding shocks for my 2017 F250. Actually installed Rancho 9500 adjustable and they are working great with the ability to change depending on rather towing or not.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
Boogieshoes's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 104
Put Bilstein 5100s on our 2016 F250 a couple months ago. Remarkable improvement in ride. Wish I had done this right off the bat; would have saved me the purchase of rear air bags. Initially had quite a rear sag; combination of learning how to use the ProPride and negotiating with DW to reduce the amount of cast iron we carry helped that. The air bags were to improve ride and help level (yes, I know they do not increase payload).

It is difficult to understand why Bilstein has not developed shocks to fit the most popular truck in the world.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 30' Classic
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 271
Turk123 have you considered Fox shocks. I have had them on several vehicles with great results.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I decided to replace my shock on my 2017 F-250. I wanted Bilstein but could not figure out what model to buy. I finally called Bilstein and the guy kind of chastised me for not looking it up myself on the website.

Then he looked. Oops! They do not make a front shock for a Ford F-250 2017,18, or 19.

He apologized and said they are working on it. Wow! How today could this be?

He told me maybe sometime in Feb, March or April.

The Rancho shock I currently have are actually made by Autolite (Ford). Ho hum.
Wondering about this myself at 49K miles...just went in for service at Ford and discussed. The service guy asked me what was wrong with my Rancho's; they are working fine and not leaking. Suggested waiting to 75-90K miles...why spend the money. I did get new Michelins installed at Costco last month, and they said shocks were fine. Not sure what makes sense ;if they are working fine and not leaking...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,242
Images: 1
Your forgetting....

...one of the primary Streaming rules...'if it aint broke...fix it 'til is. 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 449
Images: 1
Experience has shown me that the factory shocks are as good as Bilsteins and will last longer. Everytime I have used Bilstein, At least one of them have started leaking within a year, with low mileage at that.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Bilstein shjocks for F-250

46 years in the automobile business.The majority of factory shocks cannot come close to Bilstein’s in my opinion.And in the case of the Ford F-250-F350 FX4 factory Rancho shock (knockoffs) if you remove one and compress it fully( very easy) it will take a few minutes to rebound.I demonstrated this to the service manager and a few technicians at my local Ford dealership, they were amazed.The 2016 Bilstein 5100 shocks fit the 2017-2019 with A simple bushing change.Simple and about $29.Just Google it.
By the way, I have seen zero premature failures of properly installed Bilstein shocks in my career and I have seen some serious abuse.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , ca
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 30
There is an awesome company in San Diego called Doestch that has been making shocks since I was a kid. Great customer service, great pricing and they make a great shock. I have been putting them on trucks for 15 years. I had a set custom valved for a built Land Rover and ran a set of the standard shocks on a C3500.

I just never liked the price of the bilsteins for what they are. I rather a rebuildable and tuneable shock for that price.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
rbs
4 Rivet Member
 
rbs's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 3
Rancho aftermarket

We put the Rancho adjustable shocks on and so far they work as advertised. I leave the front shocks set at "5", but adjust the rears to "9" when towing and down to "3" when just normal use and it makes the ride of the truck enjoyable. We installed them shortly after we bought the truck as Rancho was just getting the rears available then. So far so good, going on 2 years. We had Bilseins on the previous truck, and while they excellent towing, unloaded the ride was too stiff for us, soften by lowering the pressure in the tires. The Foxx are rebuildable, but pretty pricey
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
Tom, I’ve a little more time to post so to add to my other comment, I put Bilstein shocks on my F150 but as you and I talked about in Bakersfield, my F150 could use a little more payload so I was finding the 28 International was causing porpoising over some pavement dips. I know part of that was due to the left rear shock leaking. But the hitch wasn’t set up correctly at first which exacerbated the issue.

So the first question is what problem/issue are you trying to solve? The damping properties of the Bilstein over the OEM shocks for my F150 are night and day better. Some find them too stiff so that’s a personal choice - I was a high performance driving instructor for 20 years, BMW race team crew chief and raced myself for about five years so my butt-o-meter prefers a stiffer ride. The unsprung mass (tires, wheels, hubs, brakes, etc) on trucks is quite high so having good shocks is a must in my opinion. In addition, we tend to tow with a lot of mass in the bed and then there’s that 7,000 - 8,000 pounds chasing us down the road which makes it doubly important.

For me I needed to improve my towing “composure” for my own comfort level, if not safety. Now our ride is super comfortable with little to no porpoising and great ride control of our truck/trailer combo. Coming down I-5 from Seattle we got caught up in 40-50mph headwinds which caused some buffeting but no sway. Not once did I feel some discomfort. As mentioned, I’m also super happy with the ride when not towing. If you have some handling issue with the F250 you are trying to solve, shocks may be a good cost effective solution. Happy travels.
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,228
Thanks Wconley

I am trying to correct a bit of porpoising that I get on concrete roads (I 10 especially!). The truck gets to oscillating and it forces me to slow way down. There does not seem to be any dampening and that really bothers me. I have a ProPride hitch and it has been set up properly with the help of sean. It works well. My stock shocks have 25,000 miles on them and I just wanted to try something else. My trailer really gets tossed when this happens.
__________________
x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,242
Images: 1
^
The only 'shocks' that I found that helped 'road seam' oscillation were Edelbrock IAS...used them on our 95 3/4 Burb. But they did NOT eliminate it...in my experience nothing will, 'cept maybe a smooth road with no seams.😂
Out PPP hitch is great for no sway but does nothing for up/down.🤔
Summit...
"Edelbrock Performer IAS monotube shocks use a patented inertia-activated valve that instantly adjusts to driving conditions. It's simple enough: On smooth terrain, the valve closes to give you a firm ride, excellent cornering, and reduced body sway. Under rough conditions, the valve opens to make the shocks softer and more responsive. So, your wheels follow the contour of the driving surface for a smoother off-road ride. These shocks use polyurethane bushings for added responsiveness and their high-pressure, monotube design eliminates oil foaming and dissipates heat more effectively. Other features include nitro-steel piston rods, heavy-duty welds, and an attractive red powdercoated finish."

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,457
Blog Entries: 13
Well, I10, especially the Atchafalaya Viaduct is a challenge to us all. The expansion joints are perfectly spaced to induce a self-amplifying fugoid cycle or bounce. Many users of the Air Safe hitch swear it solves the problem.

I don't have one -- I just head north to I20 which is better but not great.
__________________
new (usually dirty) Nissan Titan XD (hardly paid for)
Middle-aged Safari SE
Young, lovely bride
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Bilstein shocks for F-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Thanks Wconley



I am trying to correct a bit of porpoising that I get on concrete roads (I 10 especially!). The truck gets to oscillating and it forces me to slow way down. There does not seem to be any dampening and that really bothers me. I have a ProPride hitch and it has been set up properly with the help of sean. It works well. My stock shocks have 25,000 miles on them and I just wanted to try something else. My trailer really gets tossed when this happens.


Had the same problem with my 2012 F350 6.7 Supercrew FX4.Switched shocks to Bilstein 5100’s at 10k miles and it changed for the good.Did the same thing with my 2015 F350 6.7 Supercrew FX4.I also run a AirSafe Hitch.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 52
My truck is a 2017 F250 6.7 PS 4x4 Platinum CC Short bed - fully loaded with a Paragon bed cover. Everything is stock except for the shocks and Timbren springs.



The Timbren parts are on Amazon here (be prepared for sticker shock - they are not cheap based on what they look like but - they are very well made, have a great reputation, do what they claim, and are definitely worth the price IMO):



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1



and here:



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1



The front Timbrens are a bit tricky to install but can be done in the driveway - getting the nut to start on the bolt that holds the rubber cone onto the frame adapter takes some creativity and patience as it is inside the cone and the bolt is captive in the adapter base that you need to already have bolted to the frame before installing the cone. The back ones take about 10 minutes each - easy peasy.



The shocks I purchased were RANCHO RS999042 and RS999047A. Got them from RockAuto.com as they were the cheapest at the time. Google around for the best price and also see if RANCHO is running a rebate - they do it a lot. If they are running a rebate, be sure you purchase all of the shocks at the same time in the same order from the same vendor. I did not and it cut my rebate to less than half due to the terms and conditions of the rebate. These are adjustable shocks and I found they work best for non-towing set to 6. Towing, I set the rears to 8. They go to 9.



Many say RANCHO shocks are crap - mostly based on the fact the OEMs used by Ford are labeled "RANCHO". And yes, RANCHO does make them - but to the specifications of Ford - at a price that Ford is willing to pay. I had one rear OEM shock blow a seal in the first 6 months with minimal towing or hauling miles. The dealer said they would replace it free under warranty - with the same crap OEM shock - so I passed and upgraded myself. The RANCHO after-market shocks are built like tanks compared to the OEMs and many other brands I have used in the past. So far, I am pleased with my purchase decision.



I highly recommend going to both the Timbren.com and the GORANCHO.com web sites and using their product selectors to validate the part numbers above. My purchases were in October of 2017 and manufacturers are not beyond changing part numbers in nearly a year's time.



These changes made a huge difference in the ride and handling of the truck. The adjustable shocks provide a wide range of flexibility and allow you to tune in the ride you desire. It isn't like a sedan since it is after all a truck - but - it is much closer than with the OEM equipment!



Best of luck!
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPREECE View Post
My truck is a 2017 F250 6.7 PS 4x4 Platinum CC Short bed - fully loaded with a Paragon bed cover. Everything is stock except for the shocks and Timbren springs.



The Timbren parts are on Amazon here (be prepared for sticker shock - they are not cheap based on what they look like but - they are very well made, have a great reputation, do what they claim, and are definitely worth the price IMO):



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1



and here:



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1



The front Timbrens are a bit tricky to install but can be done in the driveway - getting the nut to start on the bolt that holds the rubber cone onto the frame adapter takes some creativity and patience as it is inside the cone and the bolt is captive in the adapter base that you need to already have bolted to the frame before installing the cone. The back ones take about 10 minutes each - easy peasy.



The shocks I purchased were RANCHO RS999042 and RS999047A. Got them from RockAuto.com as they were the cheapest at the time. Google around for the best price and also see if RANCHO is running a rebate - they do it a lot. If they are running a rebate, be sure you purchase all of the shocks at the same time in the same order from the same vendor. I did not and it cut my rebate to less than half due to the terms and conditions of the rebate. These are adjustable shocks and I found they work best for non-towing set to 6. Towing, I set the rears to 8. They go to 9.



Many say RANCHO shocks are crap - mostly based on the fact the OEMs used by Ford are labeled "RANCHO". And yes, RANCHO does make them - but to the specifications of Ford - at a price that Ford is willing to pay. I had one rear OEM shock blow a seal in the first 6 months with minimal towing or hauling miles. The dealer said they would replace it free under warranty - with the same crap OEM shock - so I passed and upgraded myself. The RANCHO after-market shocks are built like tanks compared to the OEMs and many other brands I have used in the past. So far, I am pleased with my purchase decision.



I highly recommend going to both the Timbren.com and the GORANCHO.com web sites and using their product selectors to validate the part numbers above. My purchases were in October of 2017 and manufacturers are not beyond changing part numbers in nearly a year's time.



These changes made a huge difference in the ride and handling of the truck. The adjustable shocks provide a wide range of flexibility and allow you to tune in the ride you desire. It isn't like a sedan since it is after all a truck - but - it is much closer than with the OEM equipment!



Best of luck!
Again, if there is no problem with the shocks, why would you replace them?? Ride and handling of my 2017 F250 KR 6.7L 4x4 Off Road model is fine; no leaks and no "bottom out" signs...dealer confirmed....I just turned 50K miles. Maybe at 75-100K or if there is a problem...the OEM Ranchos on this model are fine.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
250 meets 250 meets 250... "made for Germany" in Germany split window Classic Motorhomes 31 03-16-2020 06:25 AM
Free Bilstein Shocks Andrew T Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 0 08-24-2014 05:11 AM
Bilstein Shocks on Tow Vehicle texascanuk Tow Vehicles 0 08-23-2011 05:20 PM
Bilstein shocks ebay evan Airstream Motorhome Forums 32 05-11-2010 06:57 PM
Bilstein Shocks Cracker On The Road... 6 08-21-2004 09:28 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.