Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #1

2006 19' Safari SE
Los Altos , California
Bicycles & Mirrors

We just purchase a 19' Bambi and will be towing it with a 2000 Expedition.

We're very excited, but are now moving to the next level of detail. Any recommendations on towing mirrors?
We would like to travel with two mountain bikes.....suggestions/recommendations on how to accommodate them?

Thanks. Andre.
AndreS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Don't hang anything on the rear of the trailer. Get a rack for your tow vehicle, whether a rail rack for your pick-up or a roof rack for your SUV (or similar vehicle). I just stuff mine into the Sprinter along with the motorcycle .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Andre,
One option would be to install a receiver hitch to the front of your Expedition. You may then simply purchase a bike rack that will fit the hitch and carry two bikes. Works great for us when the bed of our truck is loaded with dog crates and generator etc.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I used the Swagman towing bike rack. It holds three bikes, but I only would carry two while towing since on very tight turns the bike wheels would touch the LPG tanks. This rack mounts to your hitch draw bar. Check it out at Camping World.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Congratulations on the Bambi, and welcome to the forum. I'm partial to the McKesh mirrors. They're stable, and easy on, easy off. I break down my bike and haul it in the back of my truck. I could just as easily fit it inside the Bambi if properly secured. The front receiver hitch is a good idea, and one I have been considering because it could have other uses.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Andre,
SilverRanger mentioned other uses for the front hitch. What would that be you might ask. Some have difficulty backing anything. I have a friend who would rather push his fishing boat down the ramp with his front hitch than back it down with his rear hitch. There may be those who would rather park their Airstream with a front hitch as well. Enjoy your Airstream and this forum.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I suppose using a front mounted hitch for backing a trailer into a tight spot would be a good use, one I hadn't considered. It might even save wear and tear on a marriage. Here on the Delaware coast, we can use our 4WD vehicles to go surf fishing on some of the state park beaches. Some purchase or build elaborate racks to go on the front of their vehicles, locally known as "front porches", to haul their surf fishing rods, coolers, etc. I also already have a receiver hitch mounted bike rack that I can't use when towing. Hey, I think I just talked myself into getting the front receiver hitch.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Surf fishing and gear ....

SilverRanger -

Yes, I too have a friend in the N. NC area that LOVES his toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact he is a confirmed toy fanatic.

Cigarette boat (uses 2 times a year, maybe), bass boat w/ twin 90's, 3 campers, 2 race cars, 2 off road Jeeps, 9 trailers, 6 cars/ trucks, 4 GTO's incl. 2 Judge's - ALL REALLY NICE!- with about 40 motors/trannys, and several storage places to cover it all.

All he needs is a plane!

He actually has 3 front hitches on his "burb . The center is for the MEGA cooler and the wing ones are for 6 or 8 rods each. It is a wonder he can see the road, much less the beach or the ocean!

He also has Hella lights on the bumper corners (F & R) plus on top (6 I think) along with the aimable "spots" on the "A" pillars. He must have 10 dash swithches for them all.

Doran pressure monitors with intergrated compressor - for deflation/ inflation for beach conditions. Wang Winches front and rear. There is NOTHING this guy ISN'T ready for.

Except the payments. Whines up and down about the expenses! I just laugh!

For course when I'm in a jam - I call him. He can do it all!

Gotta hand him that.

Had to chime in on the 'fishing' crowd that I know.

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Exclamation Beware

Regarding front hitches.. We have one on our Ford 3/4 ton and thought it would be a great idea for the bikes...BUT the bikes are in our line of vision for driving.. had a near miss accident due to this.. we will not use them for bikes but love the idea of being able to manvuer (sp) the trailer into some tight spots... Please be careful with these front hitches if using for bikes...Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
AND, as I have found out, with my '04 Expy, the front hitches are not possible or available for every model. We're going to throw the bikes in the back of the Expy for now.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Axel,

Does your friend have the tee shirt he obviously needs? He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Front Hitch for bicycles

We have a 2003 Bambi and our tow vehicle is a GMC pickup. When we are fully loaded we have a canoe over the cab and truck bed, and a 2" receiver hitch mounted Hollywood folding bike rack with two mountain bikes on the front. It is a good set up, however it does stick out in front of the truck about 28-30". The only draw back that I have found is the bikes are in front of the headlights and reduce the amount of light thrown by the headlights 10 or 15%. Mostly we avoid towing in the dark so it is not a factor but front mounted bike racks do reduce the amont of light that gets to the road from your headlights and if you tow a lot at night you need to consider this. We will be fully loaded when we go out on Memorial Day weekend and I will take a picture to post then. We aren't planning to take the bikes, only the canoe when we go out this weekend for Mothers Day. (Our two dogs are taking their "Mother" to hiking in the woods for Mothers Day.)
5W-30 Synthetic
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Andre,
We went with the Yakima roof rack and their "king cobra" bicycle mounts. The advantage of the mount is you do not have to dismount the front wheel when loading. Their customer service is excellent. Just avoid drive-thru windows when the bikes are up there..........Don't ask......
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Regarding front hitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Regarding front hitches.. We have one on our Ford 3/4 ton and thought it would be a great idea for the bikes...BUT the bikes are in our line of vision for driving.. had a near miss accident due to this.. we will not use them for bikes Annie

There is a work around for the vision problem. Simply drill two new holes and mount the rack in a lower position. I did this with mine. See picture. The handlebars still are partially in the line of vision but not objectionable to the point of needing to loosen and rotate them down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer_at_our_campsite.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	21265  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I like the front hitch idea since i just bought a 2" four bike rack. Anyone ever put a front hitch on an Excursion?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Guess I'll weigh in on the mirrors. Just bought the really large CIPA extendable mirrors but returned due to a manufacturing defect. Now have the Schefenackers installed on my 2005 Chev Silverado 1500HD CC. Much better than the CIPA units but take some getting use to. I can see down the side of the trailer easily. Drawback is price, they arent' cheap at ~$425.
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Haven't done it but Draw-Tite shows there here. At least you can get one for your vehicle. I can't unless I cut the body molding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
I like the front hitch idea since i just bought a 2" four bike rack. Anyone ever put a front hitch on an Excursion?

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I load up three bikes by taking the front wheels off so I can manuver them around the bed of the truck. But that is getting old fast.

Has anyone used the folding bikes available at camping world? Besides the expense, they seem like the would be alright just for the casual campground rides.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Change the bikes?

Andre-

Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on new Airstream...

We used Cipa clamp-on mirrors for Suburban for years without problems, and at less than $30 per side they are reasonable investment. We tried elastic band models made by another vendor and returned them in a day, as they wouldn't stay on and flopped all over...

As for bikes, you might also consider folding mountain bikes like Dahon Zero G or Espresso, which can safely ride folded in rear of excursion and come out only when it's time to ride... The newer large-wheel folding bikes are a pretty good compromise.

Hope to see your at Nor-Cal rally later this year...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We'd been considering folding bikes for a while. As Tim says it was getting old taking off the front wheels and fitting in the truck especially to load up unless we knew we would be riding a considerable amount. Folders may be a compromise but we never cared much for off road riding beyond packed down dirt or a gravel trail anyway.

I saw the cool Birdy bike that says Airstream and is all silver at Homecoming at Jackson Center and I still think it is pretty neat with suspension and folding so very small into its case but they are rather expensive for our "experimental" usage to see if we like folders.

So when we were vacationing last fall we visited a local bike shop and they happened to have Trek folders with 20 inch wheels on sale so we picked them up, even though that meant toting 4 bikes home that trip. We were pleasantly surprised. We may look like we are performing bears on a little wheel from the back but they are more than capable of providing a decent ride into town around the campgrounds or on trails. We felt like kids flying down the road unemcumbered again with the small and light bikes. Steering becomes more responsive with the smaller wheels but a few minutes experience takes care of that adjustment. And I love my BELL!

Now we can keep them with us even on an off chance that we might want to only spin around after a day's towing to get a little exercise and recreation. We still tuned up our bikes while we were there in the shop and from home we will select the regular AT bikes, but to grab out of the truck and snap together, it's a breeze.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote