Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
After trying just about EVERY clamp on, strap on, bolt on mirror avalable I'm going to try the schefenackers orsomething similar to them.
I have a set of Mc Kesh mirrors reader to pack to return. The wind noise was deafiining and the concave mirror on the passenger side poped out when I closed the door.

I ordered the superduty style mirrors from Ford which were supposed to bolt right on to my E150 van, but the mirrors have four bolts and my van only has three. Apparently they make two differant door for the van.
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I: Folding bikes.
I ride a fair amount (~5200 miles last year), and have ridden a Dahon folder (similar to Camping World). Am ordering one through the local bike shop. My "normal" rides are a really long recumbent and a 40 YO 3-speed (about 500 miles each so far this year). around 60% of the annual miles directly replace a vehicle. Both of these bikes need to have some parts removed to fit in the back of the truck. If the Dahon (a Speed 7) works out, I may exchange the ancient Raleigh for a second folder. Having seen one, I believe it is a reasonably durable bike, and capable of being as much a tool as a toy. The Raleigh is my "foul weather commute" bike, the folder would stow under my desk instead of the bike rack.

II Transporting a bike
On a scale of 1-10, my preference for transporting a bike is like this:
1) inside (10/10)
2) roof rack (6/10) -bugs limited to front of bike.
3) bumper hitch (5/10) - the rattle around a little. I hate seeing them swap paint.
4) front of vehicle (3/10) - too many bugs and goop.
With 2 kids, we're looking at 4 bikes. This also makes me consider a folder.

III Mirrors
The genteman from whom we bought our AS made us a good deal on a set of McKesh (sp) mirrors. I like them. I'd thought about getting OEM towing mirrors for the Chevy, but abandoned that thought about 5 miles into the McKesh experience. They do what I need; ymmv.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #23
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
So when we were vacationing last fall we visited a local bike shop and they happened to have Trek folders with 20 inch wheels on sale so we picked them up, even though that meant toting 4 bikes home that trip. We were pleasantly surprised...
My understanding is that Dahon makes the folding bikes for Trek, Breezer, and a couple others, FWIW.
Actually, one of the Breezers (Itzy 3) is apparently a copy of a Brompton, and it folds really small. I haven't ridden it.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #24
_

. , .
hi redshed and others

you are correct dahon makes the frame for trek...
i've riden both trek models and they are adequate bikes....
and for the price well made, equipped and suitable for going out and about...

i'm somewhat spoiled, since i ride moultons...
which don't fold but do separate.

small wheelers can be somewhat harsh on the road for longer rides unless some sort of suspension is included....

dahon now makes a few models with suspension features....

i have a friend here who has toured extensively using a dahon speed tr....

this bike came with a pantour suspension front hub....which just takes the edge off road harshness....and is a really nicely equiped model with a sram dual drive and very wide gearing....

the speed tr is a 'euro model' but dealers here can order them, if asked to...
with full fenders and a racks it can be a great commuter bike or foul weather machine.

another great option for folders is the bike friday line.....they offer many models and custom fittings and fold reasonably well. they are made in oregon. bike friday has a really detailed web site.

if anyone really wants to consider or review folding bike options...there is a folding bike club/society in the uk with a good web site and many many models reviewed...some very wild.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote