Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have used an Equalizer with an F-150 and then a Ram 2500 to tow a 6300# Safari 25 and the Ram to tow a 9100# 2002 Classic 30 Slideout, each approaching 9000 miles. I never got more steering effect from passing vehicles than I did with the truck alone.

That said, I am in the process of changing to a ProPride, largely for the fact that I don't have to handle the heavy hitch head, only the stinger. It simplifies hitching and unhitching for this old body. I'll be interested to see what difference it makes in the towing experience.

After I committed to the Propride I figured I could do almost the same thing with the equalizer (see my separate post on that subject) so if I had it all to do over again, I might just stick with the Equalizer, but I doubt it would handle the situation described by OhioBrits as well.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How much money do you want to spend?
They all work well.
If you have plenty of money get a ProPride.
If not, Equal-i-zer, Blue Ox, and Eaz-Lift all perform very well.
The ProPride price is small to protect $150,000 worth of truck 'n' trailer.
I just ain't got $2,300, so I have an Equal-i-zer.
2 years towing with an Eaz-Lift and 5 years towing with an Equal-i-zer- All is well.
The Blue Ox seems to be a very simple install and easy coupling and uncoupling.
The Equal-i-zer is easy coupling and uncoupling compared to the Eaz-Lift, but costs a little more.
In the long run I may stick with my Equal-i-zer indefinitely. I already have it and it is working fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Some aspects of coupling/uncoupling may actually be easier with the Equal-i-zer vs. the ProPride.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Most hitches when installed and setup properly work fine.
No truer words have ever been spoken.

The dealer DID NOT set my Equal-I-Zer up correctly when I took delivery. Two washers under the rivet and the ball height 3 inches too high did, indeed, result in a level trailer.
My wife spotted the other six washers tossed under the truck. I picked them up, knowing I would be reading the instructions and checking things over. First thing I noticed was the "minimum 4 washer" requirement.
I guess they put their best trunk monkey on the job.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
I have had 5 airstreams. I have had Equalizer and Blue Ox both and pulled many miles with each.

Blue Ox wins hands down...much easier to work hooking up and unhooking, much less noise when driving turning etc., and you can backup your trailer without undoing the bars.

Both will do the job...just Blue Ox does it better.

With your truck you don't need the expensive heavy hard to dial in ProPride Hensley hitches. Save your money and back for more fun things.
Quick question cabinetmaker. We're you referring to the Equal-i-zer when you made mention of not having to undo the bars before backing up?
I have never had to undo my bars. Never heard of it.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Unless you like getting pushed around on the interstates by the bow wave of semi's and gusting crosswinds, get the ProPride/Hensley design. They provide unmatched safety, comfort and relaxed towing. The additional length of these hitches allows your truck tail gate to open when hitched, and the leverage of the additional length from hitch receiver to trailer axles allows the hitch to add no extra weight to your truck's load. We regret wasting money on the other hitches before finally putting on our ProPride. You'll most probably need the 1400 lb weight distribution bars to ensure full weight distribution.
To suggest that the only hitch out there preventing getting pushed around by bow waves and gusting winds is the ProPride is irresponsible.
My Blue OX cost a fraction of what the PP cost and does the job just as well. It took me less than our to install and didn't come with a 24 page installation manual like the PP.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Wdh

MWK is spot on for your f150. You must have WD with your factory hitch for your AS weight. Also I assume you have the factory brake controller.
Unless you want to spend a lot more money on a PP get the Equalizer.
Check out "less junk more journey" on you tube. He switched to an Equalizer hitch and said it was much better than what he switched from. Not sure but could have been Blue Ox before. He says it's not perfect but much better.
Sorry but these folks who say they they tow without one are either towing very light, with an f350 or just very lucky. I wouldn't do it. I also have an f150.
I towed with an Anderson hitch ( their relatively new chain style) and in the end hated how it would stick off center and fiddling with chains was a pain. Sure I'll start a sh-t storm here. I really liked the concept just not the reality.
You might consider the Curt sway control hitch that somewhat mimicked the Equalizer, which I think is a little over priced due to its good reputation. The Curt looked good.
Go to e-trailer for a comparison. Great information site with installation/demonstration videos. Tow safe.
Asherstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
There are so many diverse opinions on which hitch to use; some very good advice, others 'stoopid' crap.
I'm staying out of it, other than to advise:

If a hitch needs the A-Frame to be drilled and self threading bolts installed; make
sure that the installer does NOT use an impact gun!
Many hitches call for a specific torque, (Reese/50 ft. lb.) dry.
I have a Reese Dual-cam that I cannot use, due to the installer using an impact gun and stripping the threads.
I could use Heli-coils to repair and re-install the Reese, but I'm leery of them, and my replacement Ezy-Lift is working fine.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I use an Equal-i-zer. I tried other setups, nothing I used equalled (no pun intended) the Equal-i-zer. I pull a 30' Excella with a Ram 1500. I used to pull a 25' with a Ford F150. Equal-i-zer there too. You get good weight distribution and anti-sway with no extra parts required. Just my $0.02.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is generally accepted that flexibility in the weight distribution bars provides a better ride for the Airstream and truck, and keeps consistent tension on the hitch while traveling over uneven roadways.

There are two extremes between Equal-I-Zer with its square end-to-end w.d. bars and visually no flexibility, and Blue Ox with it's thin spring-steel w.d. that offer a great deal of flexibility.

I suspect they both have disadvantages. The thin spring-steel bars need a great deal of tension applied just to overcome the flexibility and begin to distribute weight. Apparently, sway control is achieved by the severe tilt of the bars which resists side movement and returns the trailer toward centerline. The question is, can these bars distribute the weight of a 1,000 lb hitch weight loaded Airstream and whatever load is in the truck's bed behind the rear axle, to restore the truck's steering axle to it's unloaded weight?

The square rigid bars have excellent w.d. but have almost no flexibility so the ride of the combination and stress on the trailer a-frame is in question (one reason we quit using it). There is also limited sway resistance in the four friction points on the hitch, and that sway resistance also keeps the trailer from returning to center in certain conditions, like an icy road (the other reason we quit using it).

The Hensley/ProPride design is entirely different. Weight distribution and sway control functions are independent of each other. The w.d. is easily and infinitely adjustable to each load or condition with its w.d. screw jacks. The sway elimination is achieved not by friction or some other device, but by projecting the hitch pivot point forward to the truck's rear axle, where any side force is stopped. Like a fifth wheel or semi. All others have the pivot point on the hitch ball well behind the truck's rear axle where any side movement is leveraged forward to the truck's steering axle. Sometimes there is little lateral force leveraged forward, and sometimes there is a great deal of lateral force leveraged forward, which is why restoration of steering axle weight and longer truck wheelbase are useful with conventional hitches such as the EQ and BO. Unless you hit a patch of ice.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I've pulled a 25FC and a 28FC with either a 2011 F150 and 2015 F150 using an Equal-i-zer hitch and it was OK. After a bit, I pulled the trigger on a Pro Pride after hearing so many positives from many people and I have to say it was one of the best investments I have made. Absolutely love it. People tend to make the hook up with the PP sound more difficult than it truly is. Once you understand the basics, hook ups are a breeze. Absolutely no sway. Heavy cross winds, Semi's on a two lane going by you - nothing. Fantastic hitch. Also gives you the ability to make fine tuning adjustments depending on loads that others require more time and effort. Good luck with your decision. If you end up with a Equal-i-zer I have one for sale in excellent condition.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Blue Ox, just picked one up on Amazon for 500, free shipping. 50 bucks to have it installed. Easy! Done! Time to camp. I have the exact same set up as you do btw. You'll love the simplicity and quality of the Blue Ox. Just my 2 cents, spend it as you may.
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
When I bought my 27 FB, the AS dealer recommended that I obtain a Blue Ox Sway Pro, which I bought over the Internet for a little over $500 & installed in less than 15 minutes. Now with over 20K miles on my 27, I've never had any problems with it & the Blue Ox. The Blue Ox just works! No downsides except occasional grease on my pants if brush up against it.

There are a ton of people on this blog that swear --- positively --- on the ProPride. I'll be the first to admit that I've never tried one --- because so far the Blue Ox has performed admirably --- although I question why spend over $2,500 on a ProPride when the Blue Ox, at approx. 20% its cost, appears so satisfactory?
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like the Reese duel cam, it works ,real simple...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
I vote Equalizer

I pulled a 2016 27FB 13,500 miles with my 2015 F150 Platinum. The dealer recommended the equalizer and I am glad i went that route. No problems, easy to hook up and unhook trailer. It is important that it is "set up" properly by your dealer using your trailer with your truck.
dfgarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
F150 towing 25'FC with pro-pride. Hardly know the Airstream is behind me. Don't have any experience with other tow systems to compare. Very Very pleased with the Pro-Pride.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I like the Reese duel cam, it works ,real simple...
Me too.
But see #27 above.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I towed my new (to me) Safari 25 home last weekend. 506 miles from Scottsdale to Albuquerque with an F250. I had purchased a Blue Ox SwayPro on Amazon for $519. It took me about 30 minutes to set it up, triple checking each step of the setup. Towed like a dream, including two-lane roads with 18-wheelers passing in the opposite direction at 65 mph, and 250+ miles on I-40, a major trucking route. Zero sway. I have nothing to compare it to, but am very happy with the ease of setup and performance.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Quick question cabinetmaker. We're you referring to the Equal-i-zer when you made mention of not having to undo the bars before backing up?
I have never had to undo my bars. Never heard of it.
Yea...I was talking about the equal-i-zer. The paperwork said you don't have to but my experience was that it put too much strain on the trailer frame backing into tight spots where your at a sharp angle with the truck and maybe even a dip. Blue Ox never had any problem straight, crooked, or dips backing.

If I could back straight it wasn't a problem with the equal-i-zer and I left the bars hooked up.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #39
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
ProPrides or Hensleys are deigned to never allow sway. Good! It is a trapezoid design. Look it up it and it will convince you, once you understand the physics. All other hitches require some type of dampening system. Either internal or external. The dampening system must be turned off (loosened), if you encounter any kind of slippery condition, i.e., rain, ice, sleet or snow. Otherwise the tail will wag the dog. Bad! Hitching up and unhitching is a matter of learning not inconvenience. Of course, I cheat and use a rearview camera.
Hensley puts their hitches on sale in the winter. They also sell (like new) reconditioned hitches with warranty for a significant discount. ProPride may have the same offers. I can't see saving a few dollars at the risk of totaling a $100-150,000 rig combination with a less safer hitch system. You won't need it until you do!
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Blue ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Yea...I was talking about the equal-i-zer. The paperwork said you don't have to but my experience was that it put too much strain on the trailer frame backing into tight spots where your at a sharp angle with the truck and maybe even a dip. Blue Ox never had any problem straight, crooked, or dips backing.

If I could back straight it wasn't a problem with the equal-i-zer and I left the bars hooked up.
I agree; I have had 3 25's with a Reese, an Equalizer, and 2 Blue-Ox now...Equalizer broke during backing up in parking lot, thus the first Blue-Ox...only thing the dealer had access to that day. I used for 2 years, and like so much I bought a new one with my "then new" 2014 FC FB Twin....never had an issue with the Blue Ox. My F150 EB works great with this combination...you should be happy with your new F150....10 speed!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote