Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Bed Rug vs Linex Spray On

We have a Silverado 2500HD and have decided on the Retrax Pro XR but we are in debate on the bed rug vs the Linex. Would love to hear some opinions on it. Is the bed rug really as easy to clean as they show in the pictures etc if you haul rocks or mulch etc? Probably won't do much with that but want to know how easy to clean it. Do you feel it is more slippery than the linex if you have to stand in the back of the bed on a dewy morning. (As we will have to load our hobie kayaks) I have read through a few other threads where it was discussed briefly with toppers vs the bed covers. But wanted just a thread on this topic so it was easy to sort through. Thanks in advance!
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have had both. With the Lin-ex, hauling rock mulch it was great in that it was easy to clean with a broom and hose. It was bad on knees as it is rough. It does not scratch easily and bonds to the truck bed if properly prepared. I had it also cover the top of the bed. It is slick. One of the local street departments had their trucks lined with the lin-ex and they lasted longer.

I NOW have the bed rug. I like it for general hauling and items don't slide like they did with the Lin-ex. It is quieter and protects the items I haul. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND FOR ROCK, MULCH AND LIKE ITEMS. For basic cleaning, i use a shop vac. I did spill gasoline on the rug and it "bubbled ucompany.p" It was replaced by the Rug .
MJ
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I’ve had Rhino, Linex, and a Bed Rug in my last 3 trucks, respectively. Rhino is better than Linex, but the Bed Rug is the best by far. The only complaint I have with it is rather minor. If I put yard waste in the bed, spikes from palm fronds get embedded in the carpet and can be a pain to remove. Everything else cleans up easily with a quick application of the Shop Vac. The carpet is “slippery” when you want to push/pull boxes around, but gives adequate traction for most things you might be using a truck bed for. I’ll be putting a Bed Rug in my next truck in the next several months.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
What you have to remember is a bed rug or any other “unbounded” bed liner is going to allow sand and dirt between itself and the bed and it will wear through the paint. It will also hold moisture in and very quickly cause rust.

If I was set on a bed rug I would still do the Line-X or Rhino underneath first just to protect the metal. I’ve had several trucks with different brands of spray in liners and they were all superior to the plastic drop in liner I had back in the day.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
I had a 1992 f150 with a plastic drop in bed liner. Only had truck for 2 years and anywhere it touched the bed the paint wore off.

Next I bought a 1994 f250. All I ever had in it was a rubber mat. I use this truck for hauling hay for horses,gravel for driveways(only done this once can’t haul enough so had all gravel delivered).all kinds of mulch,firewood, any thing else you can think of. Yes this bed has some scratches and small dents but absolutely no rust! I have kept it in a shed roof on the side of my barn. When it got dirty I just pulled out the rubber mat and used a broom to get the worst out then dumped my soapy water left from washing the truck and scrubbed it with the broom rinse and let air dry then put mat back in. Oh almost forgot easy on the knees too. Almost forgot I used to fertilized my field and I simply spread a tarp and loaded my fertilizer in bulk on tarp. Fertilizer is corrosive, I just swept out when done pulled the rubber mat and rinsed with water, air dried and put mat back in... no rust.

Now I just bought a new 2019 f-250 and put a ARE top on bed. I installed a bed rug impact mat, not the rug. I can haul anything ,don’t slid too bad ,if it get dirty just wipe it out,real dirty take it out to clean it or under it. Why have carpet in the bed when I deleted carpet in the cab, yes it’s a Lariat. Also easy on my knees. I like my choice. If I haul something dirty just use a plastic tarp.

I think spray in liners look good but are expensive and still slippery and hard on the knees. Ymmv.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post
I had a 1992 f150 with a plastic drop in bed liner. Only had truck for 2 years and anywhere it touched the bed the paint wore off.

Next I bought a 1994 f250. All I ever had in it was a rubber mat. I use this truck for hauling hay for horses,gravel for driveways(only done this once can’t haul enough so had all gravel delivered).all kinds of mulch,firewood, any thing else you can think of. Yes this bed has some scratches and small dents but absolutely no rust! I have kept it in a shed roof on the side of my barn. When it got dirty I just pulled out the rubber mat and used a broom to get the worst out then dumped my soapy water left from washing the truck and scrubbed it with the broom rinse and let air dry then put mat back in. Oh almost forgot easy on the knees too.

Now I just bought a new 2019 f-250 and put a ARE top on bed. I installed a bed rug impact liner not the rug. I can haul anything ,don’t slid too bad ,if it get dirty just wipe it out,real dirty take it out to clean it or under it. Why have carpet in the bed when I deleted carpet in the cab, yes it’s a Lariat. Also easy on my knees. I like my choice. If I haul something dirty just use a plastic tarp.
Both! We have Linex under the bed rug. The BR makes loading so easy, it's easy on your knees and cleans up well too. One other Linex suggestion that we have been so happy with: we had the chrome running boards and the chrome sections of our tow mirrors coated. Eliminated slipping on the step and damage to the chrome from brush hitting the mirrors. IMO it looks less flashy, too-- not a fan of shiny, blingy chrome.
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I had bed rug in my last truck and Rhino in my current truck. I agree with most of the comments concerning both products. One of my first experiences with the bed rug was picking up a pallet of mulch from the local home improvement center. Because of the reach of the fork lift, they set the pallet on the tailgate and use the tines to push it into the bed. That did not work with the bed rug. Ended up leaving the pallet on the tailgate.

There were some things I liked about bed rug but mostly disliked it. Talked about having it removed but traded the truck in. Carried mulch, dirt and rocks in it. Vacuum to clean. Rhino clean up is a hose. Just for the record, I carried those products very infrequently.

I thing bed rug is a good product, but not the right product for me. I have been very happy with the Rhino liner. Bed rug is softer therefore easier on cargo and stuff doesn't slide around. Rhino is tougher and easier to clean.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
For what its worth. Bed rug makes two types, the "fuzzy" rug type, and a second "plasticy" type of insert. I went with the latter and love it. It hoses out just like a bed with nothing in it. And does not have the fuzzy fibers to catch stuff.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I have both the factory spray liner and a (floor only) Bed Rug. They are both great—the Bed Rug is super comfortable to kneel and get around on. If I need to put farm materials or firewood I just put it on a canvas drop cloth, but it’s super easy to clean.

The kids love it so much they’ve slept on it overnight and I love that I can slide things around on it without getting them scratched up or making a big racket. It’s also nice to have the Bed Rug extend through/up the inside of the tailgate. Things don’t fall into the separation between bed and tailgate and the tailgate has become one of our favorite places to sit and eat (or in my case, stand and eat—bad back).
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I'm on my second bed rug in two trucks. One with a cap and one without. Easy to clean as I always use an oversized plastic tarp to protect the BR. Most of the debris is removed with the tarp. Anything left is easily cleaned up with a shop vac. Only downside for me...the velcro on the tailgate piece always comes loose. I suppose I could glue with a stronger adhesive, but it's a very minor issue.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:28 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
I'm on my 3rd truck and 3rd bedrug. I've also had a rhino liner. The bedrug is the best solution for my truck(s) where I've had both camper tops and tonneau covers. I do not haul any sort of aggregate in my truck. Instead, I have a trailer where i haul gravel/mulch/etc.

I will continue to buy bed rugs for my trucks.
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I had a Bed Rug in my RAM 1500 and really liked it. The plan was to purchase one for my RAM 2500 but, unfortunately, they do not make one for this truck if it has RamBoxes. But given the choice between RamBoxes and Bed Rug I choose RamBoxes!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
When I bought my truck, the dealer had a relationship with a vendor who used Ultimate Linings

https://www.ultimatelinings.com/ulti...k-bedliner.php

I had never heard of them, but I had a Loooong professional relationship with this dealer so I gave them a try. They have more than one finish, and since I was going to be walking a lot (loading and unloading scooter with ramps) on the bed floor, potentially when wet, I wanted a grippy surface. It has a glossy, but "tacky" surface. The texture is "globby" rather than a crinkle finish.

It has held up very well, is comfortable to kneel on with bare legs, and prevents items from sliding around. However that last benefit is detrimental when loading items I do want to slide in. That's a conscious trade-off for the walking safety mentioned earlier.

For my needs, I would not have any other product nor brand.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We have a "Dee Zee DZ 86929 DZ86929 Heavyweight Bed Mat" available on Amazon (check for the one that fits your truck) in our F-150 and it's great. Non-slip so everything stays where you put. We don't use the truck for "dirty hauling" so this work for us.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
BedRug

I had my doubts when I got our first bed rug but after a week it was a great decision. Items slide in and out it can be leaf blown washed vacuumed or broomed clean. Easy on your knees

I do just inside the tailgate have a old weather tech cargo mat
That works great for the generator or other items that may leak. Bed Rug claim is oil or dirt can be removed with no damage.

I did not want the line X or Rhino liner. Had them before. We do have a ReTrax bedcover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace-n-Pup View Post
We have a Silverado 2500HD and have decided on the Retrax Pro XR but we are in debate on the bed rug vs the Linex. Would love to hear some opinions on it. Is the bed rug really as easy to clean as they show in the pictures etc if you haul rocks or mulch etc? Probably won't do much with that but want to know how easy to clean it. Do you feel it is more slippery than the linex if you have to stand in the back of the bed on a dewy morning. (As we will have to load our hobie kayaks) I have read through a few other threads where it was discussed briefly with toppers vs the bed covers. But wanted just a thread on this topic so it was easy to sort through. Thanks in advance!
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Monterey , California
On my new Ram 2500, I use LineX spray-in bed liner and a thick rubber mat. Easy to clean (can remove the mat to clean if hauling dirt, sand, etc.) and little to no slipping when hauling other materials.
RosenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Had LineX, prefer a BedRug. If getting debris under the BedRug is a concern, there are plenty of DIY kits for bed linings...
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm a big fan of the spray-on bedliner. I believe mine came from the factory and it's tough. I store most of my supplies in Rubbermaid Action Packers, so they seem to stay put.
I don't climb in so my knees aren't a factor, I keep a boathook to tug totes to reach.
I wouldn't have a retractable cover AND a rug. I don' think any of them are totally water tight.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Thanks everyone for comments. Truly appreciate the time all of the experienced Airstreamers take to post in this forum so it makes it easier for us newbies to make the best decisions for each situation. I think we are going to try the bed rug and if we don't like it we can have it removed and then do the linex. In the end we really won't be hauling alot of mulch, rocks etc and the bed rug will probably be a better fit for our situation. I liked the comment about using a big canvas tarp if we do have to haul something like mulch.
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I chose the bedrug because it’s soft and easy to install. Also in my research it looks like they have to scuff up the paint prior to spraying the bed with a line x or other spray in type liner. I didn’t like the idea of losing any paint on my new truck and there are a lot of stories of overspray as well.

I also have a hard tonneau cover from diamond back which stays completely dry and secure in any weather. That combined with the bedrug works well for my needs.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote