Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Aviator or Expedition as TV?

We own a 2020 Lincoln Aviator and have on order a Flying Cloud 23FB. From research I am concerned we will be over on payload and Tongue weight with the Aviator as tow vehicle. We have the opportunity to exchange the Aviator for a 2020 Expedition Max (plus $$) and seek input on this choice.
I may have my calculations wrong. Key numbers are:
FC 23FB: Dry weight - 4086. Hitch weight 476. Allow 600 lb for tanks and stuff = 5406. With 15% tongue calculated this gives 811. Add Hensley hitch at 170.
Max tongue on Aviator is 670. Over on tongue weight. Tight even at 10% calculation. With 2 adults, 200 lb cargo, full tank and hitch I calculate payload for the Aviator at 1553 - payload max per sticker is 1290. Over again. GVWR is fine. Tow max at 6700 is fine.
Max tongue on Expedition is 900. OK on tongue. Max payload per sticker is 1644. OK also on payload. Expedition weighs 1200 lbs more than Aviator at 6076 dry. 7657 GVWR.
Both vehicles have Class IV trailer package.
I am sure Can Am will set up the Aviator with a safe hitch arrangement but worry that we will always be limited and pushing against weight limits, especially on payload and axle weight. .
Pros and cons: Aviator is super luxurious,. Drives well with firm handling and no lean on corners. Expedition is very long, leans in corners and has softer suspension - but is comfortable and truck like. It costs more...
We will not go the truck route - the Aviator is our only daily driver, and my wife refuses to try to park a truck at the shops (and we have experience with son’s F150).
We are lucky to have a choice. What would those with experience of towing with SUV’s recommend?
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Your logic seems right. We tow a FC 25RB with a 2018 Navigator. 1552 payload. Wonderfully comfortable cruising. On rough pavement, a bit too soft, but adjusting the shocks works pretty well. Wouldn't work if we had more passengers, but it's just the two of us. I dug deep into weights and have a spreadsheet of Cat scale weighs if it would be helpful to you.

Edit: I forgot to say the we have the shorter length.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbeach View Post
We own a 2020 Lincoln Aviator and have on order a Flying Cloud 23FB. From research I am concerned we will be over on payload and Tongue weight with the Aviator as tow vehicle. We have the opportunity to exchange the Aviator for a 2020 Expedition Max (plus $$) and seek input on this choice.
I may have my calculations wrong. Key numbers are:
FC 23FB: Dry weight - 4086. Hitch weight 476. Allow 600 lb for tanks and stuff = 5406. With 15% tongue calculated this gives 811. Add Hensley hitch at 170.
Max tongue on Aviator is 670. Over on tongue weight. Tight even at 10% calculation. With 2 adults, 200 lb cargo, full tank and hitch I calculate payload for the Aviator at 1553 - payload max per sticker is 1290. Over again. GVWR is fine. Tow max at 6700 is fine.
Max tongue on Expedition is 900. OK on tongue. Max payload per sticker is 1644. OK also on payload. Expedition weighs 1200 lbs more than Aviator at 6076 dry. 7657 GVWR.
Both vehicles have Class IV trailer package.
I am sure Can Am will set up the Aviator with a safe hitch arrangement but worry that we will always be limited and pushing against weight limits, especially on payload and axle weight. .
Pros and cons: Aviator is super luxurious,. Drives well with firm handling and no lean on corners. Expedition is very long, leans in corners and has softer suspension - but is comfortable and truck like. It costs more...
We will not go the truck route - the Aviator is our only daily driver, and my wife refuses to try to park a truck at the shops (and we have experience with son’s F150).
We are lucky to have a choice. What would those with experience of towing with SUV’s recommend?

I have a 2019 Expedition Max XLT, 4x4 with 1767 lb payload, 5953 lb curb weight, 7720 GVWR.

I tow a 2017 FC 23D (680lbs tongue weight and current total weight is 5520lbs).

I have only been towing a short while but it has been good so far on the short trips I have taken. I did do several CAT scale weighings and can share if interested. The main challenge has been making sure I stay under the Rear Axle Weight rating of 4380 lbs. I have about 140lbs of margin on this aspect now given a loaded TV and TT.
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote