Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I am looking through to see about members using regular F150s and figured I would post.

If you want a specialty vehicle look at the power wagon? I don't think a Raptor would be a good tow vehicle.

If you want a half ton though, even my 2015 loaded out f150 has almost 1700 lbs payload. There is also a heavy duty payload F150 that has some suspension/driveline improvements and around 2400 lbs payload in the crew cab Lariat, but you can't get some higher end options even on the Lariat. If you aren't pulling a goose neck or 5th wheel it is worth looking at. The twin turbo V6 is nothing to laugh at and prefer to pull with it over my gasser 6.2 F250.
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I have a 2013 Raptor and have had no issues with my 25 foot Flying Cloud. I don't think I would feel the same pulling a larger Airstream though.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 AM   #23

Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
Hi, I have the little monster 2017 Raptor with towing package. 3.5L EcoBoost 2nd. Generation. 450HP, 510 lb-ft torque, 3,270 lbs payload, 12,200lbs Towing, tow to tow technology .... enough best for my 2016 Flying Cloud 30'. Rgds
victorgladys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #24

Currently Looking...
Conroe , Texas
Forgot to show you a picture. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2viyx3byls...20AM.jpeg?dl=0
victorgladys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Any vehicle optimized for off-road use is by definition on the exact opposite spectrum of a vehicle modified for towing.

The last thing you want for a tow vehicle is long, soft, suspension and a high center of gravity. Slowmover has got it right.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Victorgladys. Are you sure your 2017 Raptor has 3270 lbs of payload? That would give it among the highest payloads of any available F150.
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Hi Victorgladys. Are you sure your 2017 Raptor has 3270 lbs of payload? That would give it among the highest payloads of any available F150.
Hi

Check the sticker on the door post. That's the *only* thing to trust. All the stuff you find on the internet (even from Ford) is suspect as it applies to *your* truck.
For added fun, post a picture of it (yes blur out / tape over the VIN).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgladys View Post
Hi, I have the little monster 2017 Raptor with towing package. 3.5L EcoBoost 2nd. Generation. 450HP, 510 lb-ft torque, 3,270 lbs payload, 12,200lbs Towing, tow to tow technology .... enough best for my 2016 Flying Cloud 30'. Rgds
I do not see anywhere a 12,200 towing capacity. I have only seen 8000lbs max. From the 2017 Ford F150 Brochure:

RAPTOR Payload & Towing (lbs.)
SuperCab
Max. GVWR: 6,600
Max. GCWR: 12,000
Max. Payload: 1,000
Max. Towing: 6,000

SuperCrew
Max. GVWR: 7,050
Max. GCWR: 14,250
Max. Payload: 1,200
Max. Towing: 8,000

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Summit , New Jersey
I am towing a 2016 Pendleton with a GVWR of 7800 lbs with a 2011 Raptor with 8000 lb capacity. It tows beautifully with my Pro Pride hitch. Never even a whiff of instability. I'm a safety first guy and have no reservations about this setup.
cirrusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusdriver View Post
I am towing a 2016 Pendleton with a GVWR of 7800 lbs with a 2011 Raptor with 8000 lb capacity. It tows beautifully with my Pro Pride hitch. Never even a whiff of instability. I'm a safety first guy and have no reservations about this setup.
This is what I was hoping to hear.

Can you give me a few more impressions of this setup as I also have the propride hitch?

I am most curious about fuel mileage, power in mountains, and braking.

I figured the propride would be enough to be stable but worried about shocks bottoming out due to cargo capacity near the limit, with a heavy hitch weight and a heavy propride hitch.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Consider that I have about 20% more power on a truck here on the east coast than somebody else would have in the mountains out west. What I see here and what you see there may be *very* different things. Altitude does impact things like brake cooing and shocks as well as the engine. It's not a simple thing ...

That said, yes I drive out west as well as put around here. I'm willing to put up with a bit of struggle at 11,000 feet and that's ok. It could easily be ok with you as well. I won't mention the transmission I blew out at the top of Loveland pass ....(I blame it on Chrysler and not on my overloaded vehicle

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Any vehicle optimized for off-road use is by definition on the exact opposite spectrum of a vehicle modified for towing.

The last thing you want for a tow vehicle is long, soft, suspension and a high center of gravity. Slowmover has got it right.

Got passed by a Raptor the other day. Low in back and trailer low in front. Just over 70-mph.

Whole thing was floating, rocking, on those truck tires.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Summit , New Jersey
My normal MPG highway in the Raptor is 15/16. With the Pendleton it drops to 10.5/11. Coincidentally I also tow a 16J and I get the same mileage pulling that little guy.

I adjust the bars on the PP to about 5.5 inches with the Pendleton. It rides level and very controlled. The truck probably squats about 2-3 inches out of its 11 inch maximum suspension travel when I hook up. Would it be less If i had an F250? Yeah probably but so what?

Where I would probably get hurt is in the mountains. I've only towed this rig in the eastern part of the US. If mountains were going to be a regular venue for us I would probably trade the Raptor for a diesel.
cirrusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Any time you use a vehicle for dual purpose chores there will be compromise to be dealt with. You just have to weigh out the pluses and minuses. For a Raptor you can up the spring rate with bags, but your shock tuning will probably then be too soft. Easily adjustable shocks could help there. Tall off road tires would be a disadvantage, as well as the extra suspension travel. Avoidance maneuvers would be compromised. Keeping speed down while driving that rig would be a good idea.
I'm not being preachy, just have experience with a similarly compromised tug and trailer. I had a TJ Jeep wrangler that was optimized for off road. Long arm air suspension, big tires, shocks, soft sway bars, etc, that I used to tow a 16' Scamp travel trailer. It was a totally wrong combination, but it worked. I towed it through howling winds and snow and took it from San Diego to Moab several times. It just kept going. I even lost the Jeep's left rear wheel while driving about 58 MPH in a crosswind due to lugs left loose by a mechanic during some work. When the wheel exited the wheel well the Jeep lifted about 3' in the air and landed on the brake rotor. The Jeep and trailer stayed arrow straight while coasting to a stop over several hundred yards! That tire and wheel bounced in the air about a hundred feet and traveled a quarter mile beyond where we came to a stop. That happened on the way from the Grand Canyon to Williams. If that would have happened during a turn we would have been up side down.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
SANTA MARIA , California
I own a 2018 Ford Raptor Super Crew Cab and would NEVER consider towing with anything else.
Torque - unbelievable
HP - more than sufficient
10 speed Auto Tranny
The best truck I've ever owned, and (by far) the best towing truck I've ever owned.
Most of the "opinions" on this thread have likely never even test driven a Gen 2 Raptor.
Central Coast of California
Calvary Chapel of Santa Maria
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
^I believe it! I would have no qualms towing with a beastly Raptor. Bespoke strong frame, most powerful EB variant, wide track for stability. Sure, the springs are softer and setup for articulation rather than load bearing. That's easily augmented with airbags for increased spring rate and load stability. While allowing flexibility both ways to keep the duality of the setup

Important thing with airbags is to make sure you inflate first. Then setup the WD to the necessary tension to restore weight to the front end. From then on, always make sure to set the airbags to the same pressure when loaded. Adding pressure without reconfiguring the WD, has to effect of reducing WD which is a bad thing.

Glad your Raptor is working out great for you.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote