Old 09-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Washougal , Washington
Anyone towing with an Armada??

I'm interested to hear how your experience has been, especially if you tow a 27fb.

It's been an interesting set of coincidences, but I find myself in a position to trade my 17-year-old truck.

I can supply more details if needed, but I'd sure like to hear how it has worked out for you.

Thanks,
SG.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Anyone towing with an Armada??

Ive towed with both the current and previous generation armada (also known as the Infiniti QX, the current platform was actually launched in 2011, as Nissan wanted to lead with the lux version to maximize revenue with the new platform, before applying the Armada badging in 2016).

My trailers include 25 and a 30 late model airstreams.

It was well matched to my 25 with 760lbs on the tongue / 7,300 lbs wet trailer weight. I felt it was somewhat undersized for my 2017 30 with 990lbs on the tongue / 8,500lbs wet trailer weight.

The class IV receiver is technically only rated for 850lbs, but it is extremely robust and I had no concerns going slightly over.

There is someone else on the forum who ties a 28 with the armada (branded as Infiniti QX - which is what I have too).

The shorter 121 wheelbase and relatively short rear overhang of the current generation armada makes it easier to distribute weight. We used an equalizer hitch. Its more difficult to throw weight on say a Yukon XL with longer overhang and longer wheelbase, in comparison.

At highway speed with a 28 you will feel the trucks pass you, and the rig is somewhat lively with a conventional WD hitch, even one that is perfectly 100% correctly calibrated. It requires the driver to pay attention no doubt. If I did it again (longer/heavier trailer with the armada) Id use a propride hitch. I run a propride now and it most definitely makes a difference in stability (straight line tracking at highway speeds). I noticed a different between equalizer and propride even with my 3/4 ton tow vehicle (see below).

Watch your payload, after 1,000 lbs of tongue weight, you are only left with 450lbs or so for yourself, other passengers, stuff to carry along, etc. rear tires need to be at max PSI - 44lbs (IIRC) for weight + stability. I had 22 wheels.

Finally, Id recommended most definitely the current generation armada - 2016+. It is night and day better tow vehicle than the first generation platform. Consider the Infiniti QX as well - same vehicle, engine is just tuned a bit for higher HP and torque.

I live in Denver area and travel frequently at altitude through the Rockies. For my 30, I ended up moving to a 3/4 ton diesel which was a better match fit my particularly needs.

Hope this helps. We still have our armada / QX even though we no longer tow with it. Just passed 110,000 miles yesterday (about 5 years / 75,000 miles of its life were deployed for towing use on weekends and several larger trips per year). Has been very reliable. In partnership with my dealership I did convince Infiniti corporate replace the transmission under warranty @68,000 miles as it was just ever so starting to slip in making the shift to 3rd. 150 milliseconds out of spec. Just didnt want to deal with an $8000 repair out of warranty. Infiniti were good about it. We will keep our 2012 QX for another 3 years or so perhaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	379070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	752.1 KB
ID:	379071  

Name:	IMG_2919.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	379072  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Washougal , Washington
Thank you wulfraat. I got started looking into SUVs as my wife is disabled and can't as easily make the steps up into the truck. We have a short stepstool that she uses when getting in.

A request: Would you mind measuring the height to the ground of the seating surface of your driver's seat? That's been my gauge for step-in.

And a couple other questions: does the hatch clear your tongue jack ok; and did you have to add any auxiliary transmission cooling? I recall the earlier Amadas were based on the Titan, and so would have had aux coolers built-in. Thanks very much in advance.

We are (so far) dealing fairly well with her issues, and now that everything I've ever needed a pickup for around here is "done", I'm finding less and less use for the truck, and SUVs are theoretically closer to the ground - making it easier for her to step into.

We tend to pack extremely light - 45 years of camping tends to get you into that mindset; last scale check the AS was at about 6500# on the wheels.

Payload-wise, there's minimum gear carried in the pickup bed as it's not easy for me to put it in/take it out. Her wheelchair weighs about 40 pounds; it's by far the heaviest thing. Ten pounds of tools and spares, couple lightweight chairs, 7 pounds of lightweight barbecue and accessories, 25 pounds of firewood and fire-starting stuff, and five pounds of portable weather station gear.

Hitch-wise, I currently have an EAZ-Lift Trekker, and although it comes in at about 60 pounds, it's proven to be a really good sway-control hitch so far. I have liked the ability to dial in however much sway control I need for the conditions.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer!
SG
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy;

A request: Would you mind measuring the height to the ground of the seating surface of your driver's seat? That's been my gauge for step-in.

And a couple other questions: does the hatch clear your tongue jack ok;
Sure thing - I measured for you this morning, pics attached. The current version of Armada has a nice step / running board. That is at 13". The floor of the passenger cabin is at 22". Finally, the seat is 13" off the cabin floor, so 22+13=35" from the ground.

Yes, the rear hatch clears the hitch jack by about 2-3" with my equalizer and standard shank. Propride is even further back if you went that route.

Quote:
and did you have to add any auxiliary transmission cooling? I recall the earlier Amadas were based on the Titan, and so would have had aux coolers built-in.
The new Armada is completely different configuration and no longer shares the Titan underpinnings or drivetrain. The current generation is configured from the factory for towing (tow package is not an option, it is standard), and thus has the appropriate trans cooling in place. I've never once had an issue with transmission temperatures and I towed regularly through the Rockies with the current generation QX/Armada.

The first generation Armada/Titan did have a tow package option that included a supplemental trans cooler. I owned that version of Armada as well. Oddly enough near the end of it's service life around 100k miles I did start to have cooling issues with the transmission. I traded it in for the current one.

Quote:
Payload-wise, there's minimum gear carried in the pickup bed as it's not easy for me to put it in/take it out. Her wheelchair weighs about 40 pounds; it's by far the heaviest thing. Ten pounds of tools and spares, couple lightweight chairs, 7 pounds of lightweight barbecue and accessories, 25 pounds of firewood and fire-starting stuff, and five pounds of portable weather station gear.

Hitch-wise, I currently have an EAZ-Lift Trekker, and although it comes in at about 60 pounds, it's proven to be a really good sway-control hitch so far. I have liked the ability to dial in however much sway control I need for the conditions.
Sounds like you should be fine on payload. payload for the armada is between 1,450 - 1,550 lbs depending on trim level.

Here is another thread that may be helpful:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...le-180826.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	379169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	379170  

Name:	IMG_1694.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	379171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1691.jpg
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	379172  

Old 09-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
"In partnership with my dealership I did convince Infiniti corporate replace the transmission under warranty @68,000 miles as it was just ever so starting to slip in making the shift to 3rd. 150 milliseconds out of spec. Just didn’t want to deal with an $8000 repair out of warranty. Infiniti were good about it. We will keep our 2012 QX for another 3 years or so perhaps."

Just wanted to comment that my niece had an Armada that required a new transmission at less than 80,000 miles, so you might want to check the forums to see if there is a known reliability problem with transmissions on certain years. She never towed with hers, but that would obviously put further strain on the trans.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I know there was a service bulletin put out for the Infiniti QX 2011 and some 2012 units to re-program the Transmission ECU due to shifting efficiency / etc..

Not sure what model year your niece had (Infiniti QX vs Nissan Armada branding). Mine is a 2012 Infiniti which is the current platform for the 2017MY+ Nissan Armada.

Note that the "Armada" first-generation branded vehicle was a completely different drivetrain through 2015. Different engine / transmission / etc..

Confusing I know...
Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I tow my 2020 27fb with a 2010 Armada. I am not sure that you would be interested in the older generation Armada but if you are let me know.
Brainodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Tow vehicle

Purchasing the best tow vehicle is very important. Consider purchasing a 2020 Ram 1500 limited Hemi. Towing capacity of 12,050 lbs and will handle over 1045 lbs of tongue weight . Has the most luxurious interior EVER . It was hard to believe we were in a truck .
Today - took a test drive . Amazing, comfortable, luxurious, amazing Hemi power. You will not be disappointed. Blindspot technology allows viewing 40 feet behind vehicle .
Every day in an airstream is Great . The silver lining is all the Friends you’ll meet on the journey.
Safe travels . See you down the road Neighbor .
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Easy access, for disabled

2020 Ram 1500 Limited Hemi has the luxury of a Cadillac Escalade with Easy access, for disabled . I forgot to mention in my last text the difficulty I have had in entering and exiting most trucks. The 2020 Ram 1500 limited Hemi has an amazing air suspension lowering the profile more than many SUVs, with retractable sturdy running board for Easy entering and exiting vehicle.
When searching for your tow vehicle please do not overlook and take a test Drive in this amazing truck. Hope this was helpful to those considering a new tow vehicle. We are purchasing with the hemi. But I understand they now make it available with diesel should you prefer.
Safe travels to you all. See you down the road friends.
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Grisott View Post
2020 Ram 1500 Limited Hemi has the luxury of a Cadillac Escalade with Easy access, for disabled . I forgot to mention in my last text the difficulty I have had in entering and exiting most trucks. The 2020 Ram 1500 limited Hemi has an amazing air suspension lowering the profile more than many SUVs, with retractable sturdy running board for Easy entering and exiting vehicle.
Luke, I appreciate the help. Even though I'm mostly done with pickup trucks, my mind remains open. Can you measure the height from the ground to the driver's seating surface (as wulfraat so helpfully did above) for me, with the truck's suspension set to entry/egress?

Thank you!
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I have a 2018 Armada and I am pulling a 1999 25ft Safari. Overall I find that the Armada is very capable tow vehicle. I just returned from a trip to WV in which half of the trip was back roads and mountain passes. It had no problem with 9% grades up and down hill.

I think you will find that it is pretty easy to get into and out of the Armada. I have had riders in the plus 80 crowd many times and there has been no complaints. There are running boards and well placed grab handle that seem to make it all work.

Let me know if you have any questions
Jackstincan is offline   Reply With Quote