Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2022, 09:32 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
This is good to know. I admit, I’m a Toyota fanboy My 2012 still has a lot of years left in it, but I won’t be as concerned about that engine when it’s time to trade.
Same. I've never found myself on the side of the road with the brand. Wish they would just make a 3/4 ton. It'd sure make my decision easier. As it sits, it's choosing between the big three time bombs and which risk may be easier to deal with. Sad!
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
More payload data points

DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:40 AM   #23
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
You can always beef up the rear suspension and tires. Certainly changes how the truck handles the payload. “Does not change the door sticker.”
Keep Toyota reliability (if this engine proves durable in this application) and get towing ease.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
I've observed at least one Tundra forum member who actually weighed his new 2022 properly and determined that his actual payload is almost 300 lbs more than what his door jam sticker states.

What I'd like to know is how Toyota can legally advertise a maximum payload of 1940 lbs for the 2022 Tundra then not manufacturer a model with a payload even close to that. The highest listed in their manual is 1580 lbs for an SR DC 2WD 8' bed.

Has anyone else noticed that Toyota uses different terminology depending on where the spec is shown?

The owner's manual uses the term 'Vehicle Capacity Weight' (and contains a lower amount). The vehicle ordering guide uses the term 'Payload' (and contains a higher amount). The door jam sticker doesn't use either term but the amounts appear to match those in the manual.

I believe that all of these terms have different definitions, meaning that the conditions under which they were determined is different.

All I care about is GVWR, and GCVWR (since I plan to tow), so just give me those numbers and the empty curb weight and let me do the math myself.
It would be nice to know what the actual payload would be for a 2022 Tundra that I want to order.
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedfred View Post
I've observed at least one Tundra forum member who actually weighed his new 2022 properly and determined that his actual payload is almost 300 lbs more than what his door jam sticker states.
Er... the door jamb sticker states the payload... there is no weighing the truck and determining a different payload. A vehicle may be able to tolerate a higher amount of weight than the payload, but the payload is what is on the door jamb sticker.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:06 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Er... the door jamb sticker states the payload... there is no weighing the truck and determining a different payload. A vehicle may be able to tolerate a higher amount of weight than the payload, but the payload is what is on the door jamb sticker.
That door sticker is a conservative estimate, and the only way to determine the actual payload is to weigh the vehicle.

They can legally understand it, but they can't overstate it. I'm going through the same thing with my BMW. IIRC only the American manufacturers actually weigh the vehicle after it's complete. Others use a close estimate based on options and configuration. Weighing is the correct way to go.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:07 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Er...you're assuming the manufacturer applied the correct sticker. As we all know: Payload = GVWR - empty curb weight.

That Tundra forum owner would not be exceeding the GVWR for his 2022 Tundra if he loaded that extra 300 lbs in his truck.

Toyota is advertising a maximum payload of 1940 lbs and yet you can't actually buy a model with even close to that payload.
Toyota's vehicle order guide states much higher amounts than the owner's manual.
The door jam stickers appear to match the owner's manual.

Something fishy going on for the out-of-the-loop consumer.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
That door sticker is a conservative estimate, and the only way to determine the actual payload is to weigh the vehicle.

They can legally understand it, but they can't overstate it. I'm going through the same thing with my BMW. IIRC only the American manufacturers actually weigh the vehicle after it's complete. Others use a close estimate based on options and configuration. Weighing is the correct way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedfred View Post
Er...you're assuming the manufacturer applied the correct sticker. As we all know: Payload = GVWR - empty curb weight.

That Tundra forum owner would not be exceeding the GVWR for his 2022 Tundra if he loaded that extra 300 lbs in his truck.

Toyota is advertising a maximum payload of 1940 lbs and yet you can't actually buy a model with even close to that payload.
Toyota's vehicle order guide states much higher amounts than the owner's manual.
The door jam stickers appear to match the owner's manual.

Something fishy going on for the out-of-the-loop consumer.

It may be a conservative payload stated on the jamb (when working in engineering, there is a tendency to have a factor of safety built in), but once that sticker is applied, that's the payload.

Yes, it's possible that they applied the wrong numbers on a sticker, but unless the manufacturer replaces the sticker, that sticker is stating the payload.

One may choose to ignore the payload, they can weigh it and calculate what they think the payload should be, but it's not changing the payload, it's willfully loading more than the payload. Maybe safely, but, it's still ignoring it.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Im not ignoring payload, I’m finding it. I prefer not to leave capacity on the table.

That sticker is an estimate and not legally binding unless you’re a commercial hauler.

It’s also possible to overload the vehicle without going over payload.

Payload is one number out of many needed to tow safely. The most accurate way to find payload is to weigh the vehicle.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
It may be a conservative payload stated on the jamb (when working in engineering, there is a tendency to have a factor of safety built in), but once that sticker is applied, that's the payload.

Yes, it's possible that they applied the wrong numbers on a sticker, but unless the manufacturer replaces the sticker, that sticker is stating the payload.

One may choose to ignore the payload, they can weigh it and calculate what they think the payload should be, but it's not changing the payload, it's willfully loading more than the payload. Maybe safely, but, it's still ignoring it.
YDY. I'd prefer that this thread not devolve in to yet another payload debate.

My way more pressing matter is the apparent discrepancy between payload amounts stated in different reference material supplied by Toyota.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
Why is it that people want a truck that isn't built for towing to use as a tow vehicle. There are trucks built from the ground to be used for towing.
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt who View Post
Why is it that people want a truck that isn't built for towing to use as a tow vehicle. There are trucks built from the ground to be used for towing.
To which truck are you referring?
Old 02-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
There are many. I was not referring to any particular brand or model. Just stating that some are made to tow and some aren't.
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt who View Post
There are many. I was not referring to any particular brand or model. Just stating that some are made to tow and some aren't.
Oh, OK. This thread is about the 2022 Tundra.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:26 AM   #35
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Anyone towing with a '22 Tundra yet?

Traded my 2015 Limited 5.7l and took delivery of a Platinum 1794 (non-hybrid) last week.

I’ve towed my 2012 27FB about 500 miles so far with the new truck. First impressions?

1. The interior is far better than before. The seats are great and comfortable. The towing setup is detailed and the information presented on the dash is great - I can see my brake boost as it is applied.

2. The twin turbo pulls fine. I can set the radar cruise and the engine both accelerates and brakes to control speed. It even uses the actual brakes when the engine is not enough.

3. The tow mirrors are better than the last ones. Field of vision is better.

4. I’m going to need airbags in the back. Too much porpoising for my taste. My hitch is the Reese dual cam straight line.

5. I don’t see the advantage of the hybrid. That little battery will give a torque boost for sure, but not for long. I don’t think it would be of any benefit going up long hills. I say this from my point of view as I own and have driven an Audi e-tron for the last two years. As for the Tundra I’d rather have the under seat storage.

This is just my opinion, FWIW. Hold your criticisms - I spent a grand total of $4 (Canadian) in repairs on my last Tundra in 7 years. This is my third Tundra and I’m not changing back to other brands again. I’m also not interested in a 3/4 ton. I manage my payload within the door sticker and I weigh it to confirm.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:25 AM   #36
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
I also have a 2022 Tundra 1794. I've leaving on a trip this week.... Having said that, did you try using the Electronically Modulated Air Suspension to raise the truck bed? Did you put the Height Control Switch to HIGH? Sorry I can't give you feedback yet...
thanks.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We just traded our Ridgeline in on a 2022 Limited Crew TRD. The Ridgeline was nice and smooth overall but sometimes it felt a bit small for our little 22FB. Our trailer is quite light and only 500 lbs on the tongue when it is full of stuff. Going to test it out at the end of the month on our first trip with the revised combo.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:45 AM   #38
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Glad to see some of the 22s are getting out there and pulling airstreams. Please keep posting results. I have zero interest in getting any other truck than a Toyota. Creeping up on 160,000 mi on my 2012 DC 4x4. Still runs like new. Hopefully the airbag system will compensate for the sag. I went by an F-250 yesterday that had horrible sag. I imagine he needed his WDH set up better. All manufacturers are trying to improve the ride in their trucks.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Got the Trailer and WDH dialled in and ready for our first trip with the Tundra this week!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A0E25A3-2701-4013-9D33-39420CB9C421.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	738.9 KB
ID:	424468  

Old 10-31-2022, 08:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Got a chance to tow with the Tundra and it was a solid ride. The Tundra pulled up some steep hills with power to spare and we tried out the descent control which shifted down automatically to maintain the speed without braking. This braking feature uses the engine to maintain the speed. Cruising along, the truck felt in control all the time. Keep in mind that we have a smaller trailer so we aren't pushing the limits. The built in towing features no this truck make it easy to hook up and go. Ours is a "Limited" trim and has 2 tow modes and a built in brake controller.