Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westminster , California
I made a device to help me remove and reinstall my draw bar by making a loop with about 3' of 1/2" rope I laying around. Simply hold the loop with both hands, underneath and on each side of the head assembly, lift up, cradling the hitch, bring both hands together forming a handle. Probably not as good as a store-bought device but it works, and is dirt cheap. Couple of buddies saw me use it and had to also have one. When I figure how to do it maybe I can post a picture or maybe a video on tube.
ralphcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I am new to the hitch grip. Agree with most on the thread. Worth every nickel. It's a back saver.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
I agree that the awkward angle you put your body in while pulling out a hitch can cause unwelcomed stress on the lower back. Especially for someone like me who has had serious lower back surgery. SO, to remove my 2 1/2" pro Pride Stinger, a beast of a hunk of steel, I slide it out and set it on a Harbor Freight mini dolly (similar to what is used in the furniture moving business but much smaller) and push it to a parked position in the garage. If I am traveling, it never comes out of the secure hitch. Of course, I bump my shin now & then but that is the price I pay for not throwing out my back again. Hope that helps.
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I got one - I like it and use it each time we head out. It works as advertised and keeps you from getting greasy.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Larry C., or someone else that has a hitch dolly, could you please post a picture of it? We have an Airsafe hitch, I can't even lift, and Chris struggles with due to about 95lb wt. I've been bugging him to think about building a dolly. He'd be interested in seeing what you have.
Thanks!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I find it's cheaper to keep a few sets of gloves in the truck. I like to wear them for other parts of hooking up/unhooking as well.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Larry C., or someone else that has a hitch dolly, could you please post a picture of it? We have an Airsafe hitch, I can't even lift, and Chris struggles with due to about 95lb wt. I've been bugging him to think about building a dolly. He'd be interested in seeing what you have.
Thanks!

Kay
Kay, later on today, I'll try to get a picture of the dolly that I use. Basically, it's pretty simple, I bought a small "furniture dolly", from Harbor Freight, that is about 16" square. I stacked wood on one side that supports the shank, and the heavy part of the AirSafe where the airbag is located. I only have to lift it a couple inches...I've used it for about 3 years, and it works great.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Thanks!

Kay
Kay, hopefully this will upload for you......(4th try)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airsafe dolly.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	276642  
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Kay, hopefully this will upload for you......(4th try)
Looks good - I suppose with that kind of weight, if you wanted to avoid the last couple of inches lift as well, you could probably incorporates a small bottle jack or scissor jack into the dolly.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Toronto , Ontario
Before getting the Hitch Grip I had to pick up the hitch head with both hands and carry it out in front of my body with bent elbows at an awkward distance to keep the grease off my shirt and it was hard on the back... with the Hitch Grip I kneel slightly beside the hitch and pick it up with one hand and the weight is at the side of my body under my shoulder with my arm fully extended which I find much easier to carry it from the garage to the vehicle.

I also find it easier to insert into the receiver using the Hitch Grip.
travco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Thanks Larry. That's a nice simple solution to moving the Air Safe around. I did buy a Hitch Grip, but found it awkward to use mostly because I had a handle installed on the Air Safe hitch already. So, if someone wants a Hitch Grip that has been used twice, let me know.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
someone pay the postage and I will give you mine--free--- does not work with my AIRSAFE.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by travco72 View Post
Before getting the Hitch Grip I had to pick up the hitch head with both hands and carry it out in front of my body with bent elbows at an awkward distance to keep the grease off my shirt and it was hard on the back... with the Hitch Grip I kneel slightly beside the hitch and pick it up with one hand and the weight is at the side of my body under my shoulder with my arm fully extended which I find much easier to carry it from the garage to the vehicle.

I also find it easier to insert into the receiver using the Hitch Grip.
Well stated, this is the point most posters are missing, YOU can carry it like a suitcase with one hand, not like a "Heavy Greasy Baby" with two hands or in your arms.
I can still use a dolly after it is out for longer distances.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote