Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #1

Milford , Pennsylvania
Any tips for recovering a 24' Argosy?

Hi all!
New to the forum and all excited...
I found an 1972 Argosy 24' that's been sitting for at least 8 years that we know of. Interior is gutted except for the bathroom fixtures and tanks. 3 tires are holding air and look to be crack free. 1 is flat - haven't tried putting air in it yet. It's a bit sunk in the ground but not much. 3-4 inches maybe.
I have a Ford Expedition with a 4.7 and the tow package.
Think I'll be able to get it moving? I know it has e-brakes - I'm worried they might have rusted - but not sure.
I only have to pull it 4 miles to my home. (luckily).
Any suggestions or advice for a trailer newbie? Only thing I've ever pulled is a 16' single axle trailer for my quads. :-)
I'd like to pick it up this afternoon - just trying to think ahead about what tools/equipment I should throw in my truck.
Btw, the exterior is in great shape - and I've done tons of vehicle restoration and custom work - but only on cars/trucks. Hopefully we can turn this into something cool.
MikeFef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFef View Post
Hi all!
New to the forum and all excited...
I found an 1972 Argosy 24' that's been sitting for at least 8 years that we know of. Interior is gutted except for the bathroom fixtures and tanks. 3 tires are holding air and look to be crack free. 1 is flat - haven't tried putting air in it yet. It's a bit sunk in the ground but not much. 3-4 inches maybe.
I have a Ford Expedition with a 4.7 and the tow package.
Think I'll be able to get it moving? I know it has e-brakes - I'm worried they might have rusted - but not sure.
I only have to pull it 4 miles to my home. (luckily).
Any suggestions or advice for a trailer newbie? Only thing I've ever pulled is a 16' single axle trailer for my quads. :-)
I'd like to pick it up this afternoon - just trying to think ahead about what tools/equipment I should throw in my truck.
Btw, the exterior is in great shape - and I've done tons of vehicle restoration and custom work - but only on cars/trucks. Hopefully we can turn this into something cool.
Keep your towing speed down.

When torsion axles are not used for an extended period of time, the rubber rods become history.

When you get back home, check them out, which takes less than a minute.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Dig out around the wheels, pull them off and check them out, replace at least the flat one of course. for a 4 mile tow they might be fine but better to be safe, even with some cheap used tires. Pull the brake drums and grease/ adjust the bearings. Don't worry about the brakes for this trip as long as you are using a stout tow vehicle. Strap on some temporary lights and get it done. Drive slowly and carefully, don't rush the rescue.
worry about every thing else after you get it home
the fun is just getting started
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

Milford , Pennsylvania
Well, she did quite well with no issues. I couldn't swap the wheel because I only had an extra 5 lug. BUT the other 3 actually looked really good - and the brakes even look good! Rubber rods looked ok both before and after - but now that it's home I'm going to dig a bit deeper. It might not have been sitting there as long as I thought. But regardless, luckily it was only a short ride - I got it out of the woods nicely and onto the pavement in minutes. Took my time - back roads - got it in front of my shop - and cracked open a celebration beer. :-) The wife is pressure washing it now. It's amazing what a little bit of soapy water can do!
I'll post my progress as I go...and some pics once I get them off my camera.
Thank you for the great advice!
MikeFef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFef View Post
Well, she did quite well with no issues. I couldn't swap the wheel because I only had an extra 5 lug. BUT the other 3 actually looked really good - and the brakes even look good! Rubber rods looked ok both before and after - but now that it's home I'm going to dig a bit deeper. It might not have been sitting there as long as I thought. But regardless, luckily it was only a short ride - I got it out of the woods nicely and onto the pavement in minutes. Took my time - back roads - got it in front of my shop - and cracked open a celebration beer. :-) The wife is pressure washing it now. It's amazing what a little bit of soapy water can do!
I'll post my progress as I go...and some pics once I get them off my camera.
Thank you for the great advice!
Torsion axles, when in reasonable use, last about 30 years, plus or minus a little.

Many owners here will confirm that for you.

A 1972 coach has torsion axles that are 41 years old. But there is always the possibilty that the previous owner replaced them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote