Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2023, 02:43 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Addendum: The reason we bought the 23' FC, despite wanting a 25' FC was because we already owned the Jeep GC. Though it could pull either the 23 or 25 the tongue weight was the deciding factor for us. During our travels I did encounter several identical Jeeps pulling a 25' FC and the owners always said they felt very comfortable with their rig. I would not have given the tongue weight issue.

We now enjoy our 25' FC and tow with a F-150. The many excellent recommendations above offer much food for thought that all drivers should consider. And as a motorcycle rider who completed the MSF course I rely on that preventive training every time I tow our Airstream.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #62
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
One of the videos on this page is a test of the Tucson Electronic sway control.

Interesting we were using a Mercedes GL, same basic chassis as the Jeep with 5" longer wheelbase and a similar tall gangly trailer though considerably larger than the one in the video. We were certainly able to push this trailer much harder with the Tucson than we would ever have hoped to without it.

As for the trailer in this video notice the forward wheel placement on the trailer and as others have said the bikes and spare hanging off the back end. Along with the high center of gravity and no shocks not a good recipe.

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on two wheels smaller.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	432541  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:39 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Unless the driver was adding to the problem with his steering inputs, my guess is the whole setup was inherently unstable, probably from poor weight distribution in the trailer (loading). Notice how the oscillations get bigger with each cycle. A stable system would dampen the oscillations caused by the wind from the truck or the input from the road edge.
Of course the short TV wheelbase and high CM of the trailer donít help. Itís amazing they stayed sunny side up.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:47 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
I thought the Jeep GC did OK in this situation. That trailer is horrendous. A Range Rover might have been OK.

Who is designing and signing off on the safety of these SOB RV's?

1. As with a lot of market SOB's - the box looks like it's sitting really high over inadequate axles (track width and damping)
2. The setup looks tongue high, either due to weight distribution or hitch drop.
3. The square/slab side box raises the aerodynamic center, and together with weight (COG) is quite possibly behind the axles, resulting in that instability.
4. Heavy braking drove the tongue/hitch higher, contributing to loss of control - trailer is steering the Jeep

The correct move (as posted) is to apply the trailer brake only, would have stopped the tongue lift and overdriving the TV/Jeep.

Airstreams will have a lower aero center to me the weight center looks pretty damn good too.
FMSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:12 PM   #65

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabc View Post
I think you misunderstood. Slight acceleration while MANUALLY applying the trailer brakes with the trailer brake controller. Your Toyota wouldn't drop to idle since you aren't using the truck brakes. This works at helping getting sway under control.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. In fact you have it worse than backward... I don't own a Toyota. I was responding to someone who was confusing applying the service brakes with applying the trailer brakes. If you read more carefully you'll see that I specifically make the distinction between the behavior of the engine-management computer when the service brakes are applied vs. what likely would when a trailer-brake controller (which the computer probably wouldn't detect.)

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:33 AM   #66
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I may be a bit dim...but i'm glad I'm brighter than my TV.
I learned how to tow using a stupid TV...SFSG
All the 'helpful' fly by wire stuff may be great for a DD'r, but does it get a bit confused when towing?
Try left foot braking while while accelerating & report back.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-17-2023, 06:55 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Thankfully someone posted a normal speed video!

Clearly the big truck passing pushed the trailer as it passed ( the wind folks, the wind ) causing the trailer to sway.

The trailer being so close to the tow vehicle indicates no sway/weight distribution, but it's hard to tell.

Most likely, some dolt told them that vehicle and trailer combination was " JUST FINE " " I DO IT ALL THE TIME ".

Clearly it was too heavy for the small SUV they were going to fast and there was no sway control.

Trailer sway does not result in that if your trailer to tow vehicle is not completely out of wack ratio wise and you keep your speed under control.

It did seem like I was level though.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:02 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
If those bikes are eBikes they could weigh a total of 100# or more. That's a lot of weight pulling down on the lever (wheels being the fulcrum) for a rig near its limits. And they look to be maybe slightly further aft of the center point than the hitch coupler is forward. Slightly nose high attitude. 100# lifted off the hitch weight.

One wonders if they had previously towed after being set up by someone knowledgeable but without the bikes. No issues. Add the bikes. Yikes!
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 08:02 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
NW Chicago 'burbs , Illinois
I could be wrong but from my short limited towing experience (BMW X5 45e and 22FB Bambi) few notes to take:

- even with improper hitch setup, the driver should have just kept the TV straight and do nothing, just roll down the hill and let the trailer settle

- speed, the faster you go the worse can get. Perhaps that section of the road 60 mph is the max for that setup

- something is wrong with the hitch setup. The Jeep looks butt high and trailer leaning towards the back making it tail happy
Di3s3l_Power is offline   Reply With Quote