Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Shreveport , Louisiana
Airstream v SOB Towing Shoot Out video

has anyone see this video comparing the AS and SOB side to side

MUST see!

MySpaceTV Videos: Airstream performance by Airstream Southwest Coaches
gardenofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
I had not seen that video. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
whoa... i'm surprised they didn't have those rigs fitted with outriggers
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Airstream came out with that video about 2 years ago and we have been playing it at RV show that we go to...it really makes an impact on those that watch it...

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have seen this video before, and you really never really know how true it is until you've had to do one of those emergency manuvers.

I was going about 50 on the Interstate, and there was some construction going on. One lane was closed, it was the far right lane (of 3 lanes). The on ramp has about 3 LARGE signs that say yield, meaning cars entering the expressway must yield to moving traffic.

This clown blows off the yield, but then decided to yield by stopping on the active lane with cars moving at 55mph or faster. Two cars in front of me, lock their brakes, I have about 100 feet to make a manuver...left lane open, took the Suburban's wheel and yank it (carefully) to the left, the Suburban immediately wisks to the left, the Safari, followed it like it was on rails.

Had a fly been between the Safari and the cars I swerved around, it would have died from a lack of oxygen.

So I can attest that those manuvers they show are 110% accurate in terms of how the Airstream trails in these kinds of situations.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Wow, 1st time I've seen it, but after towing other stuff and hooking up our new AS and going down the road I'm a believer.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have also seen the video before and had an experience similar to Silvertwinkie. Mine was a close call will a 500 pound Elk in the middle of the night on AZ-260 near Showlow, AZ. I swerved after some hard breaking and passed the Elk at about 30 MPH in another lane. The Airstream followed me just like in the video.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Same here. I've had the experience of idots cutting me off.

AS did a video back in the 60's with somthing similar to this video.

Thanks for the info...

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the SOB appears to be a bit lighter than that nice to tow Airstream.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
". . at the end of the day, there was no comparison. . "

I agree with the last line in the video. There was no comparison because they don't provide a link to a written report, explanation of test conditions (other than it was a clear, warm August day), or even show a side view of the sob/tow vehicle hitched up.

I'm a skeptic until I see a written report. To me it's just a cute marketing video.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
". . at the end of the day, there was no comparison. . "

I agree with the last line in the video. There was no comparison because they don't provide a link to a written report, explanation of test conditions (other than it was a clear, warm August day), or even show a side view of the sob/tow vehicle hitched up.

I'm a skeptic until I see a written report. To me it's just a cute marketing video.
I agree Mark...there is no info on the SOB. There are a lot of different axle chopices on SOBs that may or may not perform better.

It is however, a very interesting video...and I am confident it likely does apply somewhat across the board to SOBs.

BTW...notice how that is one of the short wheel base SUVs that are often disparaged? I know it has fairly high tow rating because of the high horsepower. Was that a 25' in the test?

Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
in my 'offensive' driving school... i learned to stop first... never swerve... and i can certainly attest to my 2008 a/s brakes being more than adequate (can't say that for the '05 classic/electro-magnetic)

just last night i made an emergency stop, and almost gave myself a nose bleed.

TV+TT stops in half distance what TV alone does...
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ok thats great for a small trailer. How about the larger ones? 27 and up.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
_

. , .
old news is news again....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...sob-19729.html

leo took it apart frame by frame (he thinks)

the videographer describes the basic set up and parameters...

but took the video links OFF this site after a few months.

i was in j/c WHEN they did these tests and made the tape...

and looked over the cayenne-z as they were made 'test ready'

no one was trying to pull any tricks. it is what it is.

we covered this thing last holiday season as well but the thread isn't as good as the 2005 version.

the cayenne is rated to approx 7200 lbs towing regardless of passenger payload.

it IS an ideal tv...

on a closed course oval or test track.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Ok thats great for a small trailer. How about the larger ones? 27 and up.
To answer that question you will need to read the articles (test report) in RV Lifestyle magazine that was done a few months ago. They tested all sorts of different TV's, towing a Hensley equiped 34' Airstream.

The results were an eye opener. Small, lighter vehicles out performed the large heavier ones in emergency lane changes and emergency avoidance maneuvers. Very interesting to say the least.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #16
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
". . at the end of the day, there was no comparison.."

The SOB sure bounced around on the slalom course. Made me wonder if the weights for each were the same. That would make a difference as to tracking... of course, perhaps that's precisely the point. Just wondering what all we're comparing with all things being equal...

Thanks for the video, gardenofjoy.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
All I can say is with nearly 6 tons of rig moving 50mph with 100' of space, simply braking was NOT going to do it.

What happened to me was even more pronounced than what was in that video. I can tell you first hand, regardless of what the SOB did, my Safari followed as if it were on rails and I will be very frank here...I'm not one to panic behind the wheel, but I really and truely pushed the envelope with this manuver, no question about it.

When you have a significant sized trailer with some weight behind it, I am uncertain that a lighter more nimble tow vehicle would have been better. I could feel the slight resistance the Safari had on the TV in this manuver, yet the 3/4 ton Suburban kept it on track, though I will be the first to admit, the Airstream's suspension and design also most likely played a significant role as well. I was however, extremely impressed with how nimble the Suburban actually was in this event. Six tons combined moving at 50mph with 100' (about 5 full size car legnths), anti-locks kicking in and a significant steering change....I'm not sure I could have asked for better results and performance from what clearly was going to be carnage.

Folks can go round and round about this video, tow vehicles, etc.... but I am here to tell you all that regardless of what the SOB did, my Safari did exactly what was on that video, even under more robust lane changes than were found in that video.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I had the same thing happen to me, last summer, with the same results. (brake slam, quick lane change...no problem-0). I wonder how much credit goes to my dual-cam. as the trailer straightened out behind the truck after the lane change, I though I felt a "thunk", as the bars snapped back into the cams...almost like a pocket knife blade "snaps" into place as its opened. In any case, everything worked as its supposed to.

I wonder if those test vehicles had any anti-sway, and if so, what type?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think some credit for the dual cam is in order too. I took Andy from Inland's advise and with the 3/4 ton, dropped my bars down to either the 600s or 650s. I started with the 1200s I got from the dealer when I got the Bambi when I towed with the Impala and just carried 'em over when I got the Safari and the Suburban. Since going to the burb, I tried the 800lb bars and finally the 600 range, and found that the 600s with my setup seem to be a bit more useful. I really think there is something to the overhitching thing, but for sure, the dual cam setup I'm sure also helped.

Hope I never have to see the trailer behind me in one of these again, but it's nice to know it's there if I need it.w)
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I don't think anyone even passingly familiar with Airstream would have been surprised by this video. Like others, however, I'd sure like to have seen some comparative data. I wonder about weight, even, "does that cheap box have shock absorbers?", for it would make a significant difference.

There are, I'd imagine, some SOB's with independent suspension and disc brakes, the biggest factor that would narrow the gap. Second, low center of gravity and weight distribution are the Airstreams trump card past this (except with slide-outs; let some of those porky pigs -- including A/S -- do that slalom.

There are some poor, very poor trailers out there and there are some decent ones. There are also good, better and bad Airstreams to put to that test.

For real fun, let's just have Can Am RV set up the hitches -- Hensleys -- on both rigs. That video won't be as dramatic, then. But it will still be accurate overall.

I'm fairly certain a non-slide-out 34' Airstream would be faster through the slalom than my 35' Silver Streak, even though the GVWR on mine is 3,000-lbs less than a current Classic. But I wonder how much slower . . . .

For what it's worth, I can run double lane changes all day and not have the trailer cut loose. But an Airstream could do it at a higher speed. Since I don't run any faster than 62-63 mph it seems moot. I wouldn't run faster with an Airstream.

Still, I plan to look into MOR-RYDE's I/S retrofit, as well as disc brakes. Some things are just flat worth it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote