Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
All I can say is with nearly 6 tons of rig moving 50mph with 100' of space, simply braking was NOT going to do it.

What happened to me was even more pronounced than what was in that video. I can tell you first hand, regardless of what the SOB did, my Safari followed as if it were on rails and I will be very frank here...I'm not one to panic behind the wheel, but I really and truely pushed the envelope with this manuver, no question about it.

When you have a significant sized trailer with some weight behind it, I am uncertain that a lighter more nimble tow vehicle would have been better. I could feel the slight resistance the Safari had on the TV in this manuver, yet the 3/4 ton Suburban kept it on track, though I will be the first to admit, the Airstream's suspension and design also most likely played a significant role as well. I was however, extremely impressed with how nimble the Suburban actually was in this event. Six tons combined moving at 50mph with 100' (about 5 full size car legnths), anti-locks kicking in and a significant steering change....I'm not sure I could have asked for better results and performance from what clearly was going to be carnage.

Folks can go round and round about this video, tow vehicles, etc.... but I am here to tell you all that regardless of what the SOB did, my Safari did exactly what was on that video, even under more robust lane changes than were found in that video.
i understand... there will be unavoidable scenarios even when thinking three moves ahead...

without hijacking the thread... silver, what was your exact hitch equip/setup with that emergency manuver?

next question... how many of you would attempt these manuvers in an empty parking lot (with your current rigs, of course)

my last and final performance vehicle (when i was a bachelor), i took to MIS to find out the performance specs for myself... even without a G indicator, that was an eye-opener

... a mans got to know his limitations...
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
For real fun, let's just have Can Am RV set up the hitches -- Hensleys -- on both rigs. That video won't be as dramatic, then. But it will still be accurate overall.
Can Am does very similar testing with various vehicles and trailers. Many of us here in the area have seen the tests on monitors at the annual RV shows. Any towing enthusiast would delight in seeing and reading about these kinds of tests.

Here is a taste of the article that was written in RV Lifestyles magazine a few issues ago. RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints

It was once written that an Airstream in most cases will slide sideways on dry pavement instead of rolling. In situations where they have rolled investigaters usually determined that the TV rolled first, taking the Airstream with it.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Having towed a fair number of SOB's I have never felt that they were ever fully in complete control out back. I've also towed cars many times on trailers and the trailer combo felt secure and as capable as the TV.

The first thing I noticed towing my OLD Airstream home was how it seemed glued to the back of the Trailblazer. I'd never had any SOB feel that way and even with the Trailblazer we'd towed a few.

Behind the '57 Pontiac, which itself is lowered, the trailer is like a slot car right behind the one in front. I've had a couple of very close calls with folks trying to take pictures of the car and trailer going down the highway and suddenly realizing they are about to hit something and over they come and so far (and let's hope this continues to be the outcome) I've been able to steer/brake my way out of it.

And as 2'air notes, he was there to see at least some of what transpired so we know directly from a fellow forum member that they weren't playing games that day.

THIS is the kind of video I just LOVE sending to my SOB loving brother, heh, heh, heh......I greatly appreciate having it. Mucho thanks,

Barry