Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Airstream Roll-Over in Idaho Today

Hello all. Bad news to report. I just spoke with my wife, Kat; she's on business in Idaho. Her group took time off to go to the State Fair and on their way to Blackfoot, from Idaho Falls (on I-15), they saw an Airstream roll-over. She said a small SUV was towing the trailer and the guys in her party thought it looked like a larger Airstream (they guessed at 25' but they were unsure). Let's not speculate on whether she was overloaded or out-driving conditions, or a bad TV set-up. Kat did say that it was very windy.

I did a quick search given the parameters and found the news stories. The TV was a Lexus G47. I tried searching for the driver's name on this forum--but I couldn't find her. I was curious to see what her towing set-up was. Fortunately, it was only "a one-vehicle crash" and "all occupants were wearing their seatbelts."

In closing, we pray that nobody was seriously injured and wish them a speedy recovery. ... And on a lighter note, we hope she had replacement-value insurance so she gets a shiny new Airstream when she's up to camping again! Here are two stories, but there are more should you care to search.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/crash...elley/41582028

http://idahostatepolice.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Rich
Save
Old 09-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Most likely a GX-470. Couldn't find any specs for a "G47".

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
GX470 is the fancy Four Runner Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most likely a GX-470. Couldn't find any specs for a "G47".

GX470 is the fancy Four Runner.
LX470 is the fancy Land Cruiser.

The Four Runner my wife drove to work was easy to overload with 300 pounds of slot machines from Las Vegas in the back and a modest 300 pounds of passengers on the front seats. I cannot even recall the year, maybe the one we had was 1993 and the engine was also not much to brag about.

Our 2000 Land Cruiser is a tank with a glass windshield with rubber tires. I considered pulling our 23 foot Safari with it on trips East of Colorado... but the Tundra was much better suited. Even our current 2008 Land Cruiser may be a bit border line for towing, I have not tried.

This is unfortunate that such a small SUV was used. Misinformation is rampant, and sales people stress... safety, safety and safety... but then did no different for us with our 2006 4.7L Tundra as safe, but easily overloaded if not careful towing a 23 foot Safari.

All of this is a reminder to those, even myself, that sometimes having a tow vehicle that meets a minimum is bad enough. Having one, like a Four Runner SUV is not even minimum. With two Las Vegas electronic slot machines in the back of our Four Runner, I could look over the back of the sagging rear end.

When we 'made it' home... traded it in on a new 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser. This 1993 was a smaller Four Runner compared to those on the road today, but we never had an interest in another since our first experience.

I am not being callous. I would not pull a larger Airstream with a Jeep or a Corvette, either. Just think about this event and consider your trailer length and tow vehicle with honest hard decisions. Many want a Double Duty vehicle. The same vehicle for day to day driving and to tow this silver beast down the highway.

Eventually the story may develop. It does sound like witnesses observed the trailer before the roll over. Take note and be the wiser for someone else's unfortunate accident. Could it have been prevented?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
From the police blotter, sounds like everybody was fairly safe, I'm sure banged and shaken, that can be a terrifying event.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
I wanted to see if I could find her profile on the forum and what kind of hitch she was using. I'm sure there are many good hitches out there that control sway, but I'm really pleased with my decision to have purchased a ProPride 3P ... I've read a great many posts on this forum about folks talking about the complete elimination of sway in wind, alongside of tractor trailers, etc.. Let's hope they're (all?) safe and we can learn more from her unfortunate accident.
Save
Old 09-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
There are pictures at http://www.eastidahonews.com/2016/09...-near-shelley/

The trailer is a Bambi. I think it is a 19.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Are single axle trailers more prone to fishtail that a dual (or triple) axle trailer? It would seem like they would.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good find SSquared, thanks.

In the second photo, does anyone recognize the hitch? Looks like one of the more complicated ones IMO.

Also in the second photo, is that a bicycle hanging off the back of the trailer, and perhaps the hint of a child's bike also? (see what looks like a smaller tire seen through the other tire, if that's what it is)

Or are those black curved images something on the road, independent of the trailer?

And check the first photo, it also appears to show at least bicycle off the rear of the AS IMO.

No obvious damage or deflation on any of the 6 tires shown in both photos . . .

Amazing there were no injuries!
Old 09-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
. . . I'm really pleased with my decision to have purchased a ProPride 3P ...
. . .
Is that a PP hitch in the second photo?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The Lexus GX470 is the Lexus version of the Toyota 4Runner They are both made on the same line in Japan and have the same engine. I have the 2004 model, 2nd model year for the 4.7L V-8 (last was 2007 when it was discontinued). The AWD is rated for 7,000 lb. towing. I pull the same AS that Ray Eklund does and that 23' is the smallest double axle AS makes. It is very steady behind my Toyota, never had a problem and I've been up to 80 with it but I normally travel 60-65. GVWR on the '06 23' is 4,700 lbs., well within the 4Runner's capacity. I also pull a 2,400 lb. single axle boat trailer and have never had a problem pulling that either.

Lots of things could have played into that crash; speed, incorrect weight distribution, improper hitch installation, inexperienced driver, etc. My '04 4Runner is equipped with the X-REAS shock absorbers which distribute the fluid from one side to the other, depending on where it's needed. It is a very stable ride. I don't know how that model is equipped but I'm betting it's inexperience with TT towing that's at the root of the problem. I seriously doubt it's the TV.

I hope everyone got out OK, hate to see that expensive rig sitting greasy side up.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post

Fishtail!
It's Idaho, bless it's little pan handle, gem state, heart.

No longer joking, I am very sorry to hear of the wreck, and send my best wishes for the family.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Is that a PP hitch in the second photo?
In looking at the pictures a couple of times, it's not a PP as there are no WD Jacks showing which would be mounted right behind the propane tank. There does appear to be a WD hitch of some sort, just not a PP or Hensley
Old 09-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Traveling across Idaho today, it has been very windy with strong gusts. The triple trailer road train trucks looked like snakes weaving back and forth.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #14
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
She snapped a picture ...

Unfortunately not a great pic, but it does show all of the bikes ... I wish she had managed to get a picture of the trailer's front.

This points to my Pinterest account - let me know if it doesn't work.
http://pin.it/g-GUIQI

Have a nice weekend...

Rich
Save
Old 09-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Cause.....

The driver lost control of the TV & AS.

It COULD happen to any of us.

Stream Safe.

Bob
Old 09-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great work Rich, thanks! The photo is there at the top, but quite small, and I can't open it any further without an account I guess.

Would you mind if I attached a screen shot here?

What is that large long dark horizontal member going from under the bikes, to the left edge of your rear-view mirror, if you know? Maybe the AS's bumper which got dislodged during the roll-over? Or does it belong to what looks like a tan pickup just visible above your mirror, maybe a tow bar of some kind?

The bike rack does not look like the Airstream-approved Fiamma model IMO, and at the worst, it may involve quite a bit of extra steel and weight back there. like the Quebec roll-over large cargo carrier.

Hope the Idaho SP will follow up and issue a report in District 6 here, where yesterday's report is at the top of the list:

https://www.isp.idaho.gov/isp/news_r...sReleases.html

Thanks again for the photo. Good work which will let us all learn from these roll-overs, including the Quebec one:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ec-153984.html

Peter
Old 09-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The driver lost control of the TV & AS.

It COULD happen to any of us.

Stream Safe.

Bob
Could that bike rack perhaps have contributed to the accident, if it is not the AS-approved Fiamma model, and therefore added too much weight too far back?

See the Quebec roll-over link just posted, plus the Out of Control Sway thread for discussions about improper rear loading:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html

The more we can learn from accidents like this, the better off everyone will be IMO. Thankfully we now have 3 photos which can aid in our pursuit of the true cause of this accident.

Hope the folks are not hurting too bad today.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
In the second photo, does anyone recognize the hitch?
The brackets and torsion bars look like Equalizer to me.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
There is simply no way of knowing what caused that accident from the information here.
Speculation will lead to nothing!
I simply feel sorry for the woman. She lost her Airstream and her vehicle, hopefully nothing else! They can be replaced...
Bruce
Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #20
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
OTRA15 - your link is not working.

I was about to say feel free to post the pic but I realized if you could do it, that I should be able to do it. I figured it out. Hopefully, it will zoom in too.

And yes, I had the same observation ... it appears to be the rear bumper ... or frame to rear bumper ... ?

I went back to the source pic she sent me via messaging... It is definitely the Fiamma bike rack ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	271293

And as Bob pointed out, this could happen to any one of us ... The point is to learn as much as we can from the accident without armchair quarterbacking the unfortunate family involved in the accident.

I've often wondered how often a "small" trailer is sold with the attitude that "it's just a small trailer" and not enough attention or time is spent on loading, balancing, reducing sway, correctly setting up the hitch, etc.

Kat sent me another pic (very low quality) of a different Airstream (Bambi?), from her hotel room this morning. It looks unlevel to me ... Can't be good for towing.

Take care,
Rich
Save
Closed Thread