Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #101
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy76 View Post
Hi I'm Mandy, the gal in the crash. I'm also trying to understand the reason for my crash because I had thought I did everything possible to remain as safe as possible. ... The injuries were minimal. I suffered an open fracture to my left middle finger. Some PTSD, sadness, embarrassment and a huge sense of loss. But also a huge gratefulness to God that my daughter was unharmed.
Hello Mandy and welcome to the forum! We are so happy you guys are well. Sorry to hear about your trailer and new car and blown vacation with your daughter, but again, we are just so happy that you're okay. I hope you don't mind the thread ... we all run the same risk but it's all about learning. We learn from each other. Too bad you hadn't been active in the forum sooner because you might have learned something that could have potentially reduced/mitigated the risk of your accident. Again, welcome, and please continue to the extent that you're comfortable sharing if/when anyone has a question. Thanks for joining the forum and participating in this thread!

Sincerely,
Rich
(formerly "riffin-rich")
Save
Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I am happy that Mandy and her daughter are OK, that speaks volumes as to the safety of the GX470 if she was going 75-80, pulling a 4500 lb. trailer, and had a rollover accident. I think the side curtain airbags are standard in the GX470. I ordered that option in my 4Runner.

I found an ABC report from 2011 on safest and worst SUVs. I know that many of the ones in either list are not what I would consider an SUV, but the GX470 made the safest list

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says that SUVs are now statistically safer than they were in the past and released their list of the safest – and most dangerous – SUVs on the market today.
The Institute's research demonstrates that driver death rates have dropped due largely to the widespread availability of electronic stability control systems (ESC), which reduce vehicle rollover rates.
"The rollover risk in SUVs used to outweigh their size/weight advantage, but that's no longer the case, thanks to ESC," Anne McCartt, the Institute's senior vice president for research, said in a statement released today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/15-dangerou...ry?id=13805473
15 Safest SUVs:
Audi A6 4-door 4WD
Mercedes E-Class 4-door 4WD
Toyota Sienna
Ford Edge
Nissan Armada
Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Land Rover LR3
Honda CR-V
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Acura MDX
Mercedes E-Class 4-door
Lexus RX 400h
Lexus GX 470
Mercedes M-Class
Saab 9-3 4-door

15 SUVs with Highest Rates of Driver Death:
Nissan 350Z 2-door
Nissan Titan crew cab
Chevrolet Aveo
Chevrolet Cobalt
Nissan Titan extended cab
Kia Spectra
Chevrolet Malibu Classic
Hyundai Tiburon
Nissan Versa
Chevrolet Colorado extended cab
Kia Rio
Kia Spectra
Mazda Miata MX-5
Subaru Legacy
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Welcome to Air Forums. Mandy, thank you for your post. We are certainly happy to hear that you and your daughter escaped with only minor injuries.

Your generous, open sharing of your knowledge of the accident is much appreciated. Your filling in many of the blank areas can be a learning experience for us all. I hope this will not deter you from the great experience of experiencing the life style.

Please stay around, as we all learn from each other.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Mandy, thrilled you and your daughter are ok. We travel about seven months each year, at virtually every campground I talk to other campers about their experiences. In each campground one or more people has had tread separation and tire failure using ST tires. If you were running standard AS supplied tires they were Goodyear ST Marathons with a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. Something to consider when analysing your accident.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I am happy that Mandy and her daughter are OK, that speaks volumes as to the safety of the GX470 if she was going 75-80, pulling a 4500 lb. trailer, and had a rollover accident. I think the side curtain airbags are standard in the GX470. I ordered that option in my 4Runner.

I found an ABC report from 2011 on safest and worst SUVs. I know that many of the ones in either list are not what I would consider an SUV, but the GX470 made the safest list

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says that SUVs are now statistically safer than they were in the past and released their list of the safest – and most dangerous – SUVs on the market today.
The Institute's research demonstrates that driver death rates have dropped due largely to the widespread availability of electronic stability control systems (ESC), which reduce vehicle rollover rates.
"The rollover risk in SUVs used to outweigh their size/weight advantage, but that's no longer the case, thanks to ESC," Anne McCartt, the Institute's senior vice president for research, said in a statement released today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/15-dangerou...ry?id=13805473
15 Safest SUVs:
(Snip)
15 SUVs with Highest Rates of Driver Death:
Nissan 350Z 2-door
Nissan Titan crew cab
Chevrolet Aveo
Chevrolet Cobalt
Nissan Titan extended cab
Kia Spectra
Chevrolet Malibu Classic
Hyundai Tiburon
Nissan Versa
Chevrolet Colorado extended cab
Kia Rio
Kia Spectra
Mazda Miata MX-5
Subaru Legacy
The Chevy Aveo is an SUV???!?! Something wrong with this list.

My grand Cherokee is awesome but I don't even want to think about how it would handle with my Serenity 19 attached, doing 80.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 09-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The Chevy Aveo is an SUV???!?! Something wrong with this list.

My grand Cherokee is awesome but I don't even want to think about how it would handle with my Serenity 19 attached, doing 80.
The list is OK, it's the definition of SUV that needs to be fixed. But in doing a little research I found that 'SUV' is used to reference just about anything out there. I couldn't find any site that had a list of what we think of as SUVs, they all included sedans, crossovers (aka station wagons) etc.

I think that if the vehicle had 4WD I think they considered it an SUV, I couldn't find any reason for them to be listed other than maybe that.

The list included the GX470 as one of the safe ones, which is why I posted it. I found several articles with stats showing "SUVs" et al reducing the number of rollover accidents. I found a NHTSA pdf file with a lot of statistics that confirmed this. Although the number of vehicles is increasing, the number of rollovers is dropping. NHTSA listed speeding as the highest cause of rollovers. Of course, all of these are for vehicles not pulling a trailer. Once that trailer gets enough sway to break traction on the TV's rear wheels, it's going to roll or pirouette, most likely roll.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #107

1993 34' Excella
1985 31' Excella
blacksburg , Virginia
Thumbs up Fishtailing trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Are single axle trailers more prone to fishtail that a dual (or triple) axle trailer? It would seem like they would.
All trailers are prone to fishtailing, but over my years of pulling my Airstream and growing up with a Starcraft popup and then an Airstream, there are ways to avoid it. One is DO NOT SPEED, Two is HAVE THE PROPER TOW VEHICLE TO TOWING TRAILER, Three is to have PROPER SWAY CONTROL BARS INSTALLED WITH YOUR HITCH OR AND USE THEM. My father (RIP), before he would let me pull my Airstream off the lot made sure it had sway control bars, even though it was an older model, it still was adaptable and learn how to use them and control your Airstream when you need to use them. And fourth, have your Airstream properly covered with FULL INSURANCE, no matter what the year/condition. The single axles are prone to fishtail than that of the two/triple axle Airstreams, we have had both, but all of us upon driving them found they were easier to control when sway bars were used, then when I had to tow my parents (RIP), 34' foot triple axle Airstream without any sway bars on the highway and was past by many tractor trailers, it still fishtailed, but having the experience of knowing how to deal with fishtailing was a tremendous help. And the fifth thing is STAY OFF THE BRAKES, ride it out.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
80 mph is pushing the safety limits for a top heavy SUV without a trailer. I'm glad nobody was hurt.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Mandy glad you're doing well and your daughter. Were you and your daughter on a program recently about buying an RV? The daughter really liked the 19 foot Airstream and the Mom ended up buying it.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #110
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Hayden , Idaho
No not me
Old 09-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #111
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Hayden , Idaho
On a straight stretch of road with posted speed limit of 80 I disagree 80 is pushing for a non-hauling SUV. I wasn't driving that fast regularly, just trying to pass the semi trucks without holding up too much traffic. I did state the accident was in part my ignorance. I was only trying to answer the questions I saw posted to help others out there. Had I known, I would have never done it. I would not have knowingly endangered the person I love most in the world. Thanks
Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #112
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Hayden , Idaho
I'll have to get the specs from my paperwork. But the weight distribution hitch was upgraded by the airstream dealer. The dealer installed the hitch to my vehicle. The bike rack was added by airstream at my request. It was the one that was recommended by airstream. I was carrying two bikes. Both small frame bikes. My daughters was light, I'd say combine weight of the two bikes was less than 100 lbs easy. The awning was airstream installed. I ordered the awning package when I ordered the airstream. When I got my airstream the bike rack and awnings were installed. The driver side awning was not a big one. Only pulled out about two feet.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #113
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Hayden , Idaho
Thank you for the education. Both my car rear tire and driver side trailer tire were flat after accident. I visually checked my tires before departing that morning about 20-30 minutes prior to accident. I don't think my vehicle caused the accident. However it is easier to roll. The vehicle rolled because of the trailer sway which I'm assuming was a result of "dirty air" and speed. I was not aware that there was a maximum tire speed. I was warned to make sure tire pressure was 65 and if I ever ran them at 50 or less it was considered flat and that is ruin the tire. So thank you for educating me. Anything helps.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Mandy was kind enough to offer her perspective on the accident to our group. I don't feel that she should be put on trial here, or should have to defend herself against everyone's opinion. For goodness sake, she has just suffered a traumatic event. I'm sure that most of us can learn from this.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Mandy was kind enough to offer her perspective on the accident to our group. I don't feel that she should be put on trial here, or should have to defend herself against everyone's opinion. For goodness sake, she has just suffered a traumatic event. I'm sure that most of us can learn from this.
X2. Thank you for posting what should be obvious to everyone else.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
x3 thank you Don.

And thank you Mandy for the added details.

Peter

Old 09-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #117
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Hayden , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Thank you.
I just wanted to answer the questions I saw posted. I came across this forum as I was researching the causes of my accident. I think I've found my answers.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's good that you learned from this very expensive accident.
Hopefully you won't be discouraged, but will get another Airstream and tow vehicle.
I'm not sure or I'm not convinced that there was anything wrong with the rig at all, but also not sure you want an identical setup after the accident.
The Airstream/travel trailer/RV/camping lifestyle is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 09-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Mandy thank you for posting very thorough and honest responses with such grace. So glad you are both okay.

You might do well to have a conversation with Andrew at CanAm.

Andrew thank you for very informative post also.

We've all learned from this.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad to hear you and your daughter are okay, Mandy, and welcome to AirForums.

Most of us have learned some hard lessons as we have traveled, and most of the folks here are very kind, supportive, and extremely helpful...keeping negative judgments off this board.

So ignore any unkind words, appreciate the help you will get, learn from your mistakes, and try again when you're ready.

Maggie