Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Airstream recommending hitch?

In the latest The Rivet newsletter from JC we find "A New Partnership with Blue Ox Offers Exclusive Weight Distribution Hitches" which may be coming in the wake of the many front end separation reports and experiences over the past months, where excessive pressure in the frame leads to stresses and problems.

More longstanding airstreamers than myself may confirm (or not) but this would be the first time JC recognizes that hitches and hitching are an integral part of the successful and secure airstreaming experience and that they can contribute through endorsements and education. Interesting...
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Call me a cynic, but I think it was a deal for dollars, not engineering.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Not cynicalÖreality of business.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheron2010 View Post
call me a cynic, but i think it was a deal for dollars, not engineering.
^1.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Ya, looks like a co-branding opportunity for both companies.

https://youtu.be/F4deK_uyCJQ
Old 07-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Į\_(ツ)_/Į , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Ya, looks like a co-branding opportunity for both companies.

https://youtu.be/F4deK_uyCJQ
"...now available for Airstreamers in sleek, exclusive matte black components and silver chains to align with the design of the iconic Airstream travel trailer."

Silver chains! Black hitch! What will they think of next?!?!?!

I'm sold!!!
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Won’t sell you one unless you have a silver car…
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not JudgementalÖWalt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have used Blue Ox and therefore endorse Equalizer, but if Blue Ox offers $$$, I may suddenly recommend them too.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a blue ox that I’m not using. Will sell cheap.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I have used Blue Ox and therefore endorse Equalizer, but if Blue Ox offers $$$, I may suddenly recommend them too.

Which BlueOx did you use? Iím curious what you dislike about it. We have had our SwayPro with two trailers now and have really liked it. Quiet and has kept the trailer tracking very solidly behind us. Both smaller trailers (19-ft and 23-ft). Iíve heard folks talk about people who didnít like the BlueOx, but never heard from one directly. This is the only WDH weíve ever had, so donít know what we donít know :-P.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It’s hard for me to compare because I’ve used them on different trailers. The Equalizer was on the Airstream and since Airstreams do tow easier, maybe I am not being fair to Blue Ox. Not sure of Blue Ox model, but it has a chain and bar setup. It has fewer adjustments than the Equalizer, but that is not a good thing. The Equalizer kept the Airstream steady in a 40 mph crossswind on a snowy I-70 on Colorado’s eastern plains. The Equalizer was easy to hitch/unhitch for my wife—we usually did it together.

If I were traveling really far, I’d consider a ProPride if I could find a used one cheap or a used Equalizer.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
When I bought my AS from the dealer, the hitch was part of the package, a Blue Ox. I did discuss w/ them about considering a ProPride instead. They would have ordered one for me if I insisted, but explained that since I have a full-size pickup (a Sierra), and my AS is smaller (a 20FB), that the ProPride would be 'overkill' for my needs (in addition to being a lot more expensive). Not having towed a camper before, and I did/do trust them, I went w/ the Blue Ox, and it has been great. Now, if I was towing something larger, a dual-axle of some sort, yeah, I'd step on up to a ProPride. But for a single-axle being pulled by something sizeable, I'm not concerned, I think a Blue Ox would serve quite well.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Which BlueOx did you use? Iím curious what you dislike about it. We have had our SwayPro with two trailers now and have really liked it. Quiet and has kept the trailer tracking very solidly behind us. Both smaller trailers (19-ft and 23-ft). Iíve heard folks talk about people who didnít like the BlueOx, but never heard from one directly. This is the only WDH weíve ever had, so donít know what we donít know :-P.
I used on my 28í. These are the 2 main reasons I went with a Propride.
1) I didnít like the chain hookup with the bar.
2) It prevented sway, but in heavy traffic with trucks got a lot of bow affect. My Propride tracks far better.

It might work OK on a smaller trailer. I just didnít like it with my 28í.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:14 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
That makes sense. I had considered the ProPride, but it seemed potential overkill, so we decided to stick with the BlueOx SwayPro which weíd had with three older trailer (just had to get a bigger ball and heavier spring bars). Iíve seen the Equalizer, BlueOx has a similar style, the TrackPro. I like it, Iíve heard itís a lot noisier though. So far we are happy with the SwayPro still, though only have about 150 miles with our it and our Airstream.

We *might* have too heavy spring bars. I honestly couldnít tell if we were feeling porpoising or just the poor condition of I-5 in our area. (It was pretty slight and didnít last very long either way.) I need to weigh the trailer to see what our tongue weight is at. But the trailer tracks great and Iíve not felt that suck by big trucks like I did with our first trailer with no WDH and just a single sway bar.

Quote:
Not sure of Blue Ox model, but it has a chain and bar setup. It has fewer adjustments than the Equalizer, but that is not a good thing. The Equalizer kept the Airstream steady in a 40 mph crossswind on a snowy I-70 on Coloradoís eastern plains. The Equalizer was easy to hitch/unhitch for my wifeówe usually did it together.

Yeah, thatís the SwayPro. Iím curious what additional adjustments the Equalizer has. They both seem to have an adjustable shank and they both can be adjusted on the latches (moving the Equalizer latches up and down or changing the link you use on the SwayPro). But I admittedly do not have a great sense of the mechanics involved here. I like that on the SwayPro I can easily change the chain link on the fly. To me, getting it hooked up seems easy, but my wife looked at the Equalizer and also thought that looked easier. To each their own, I guess, lol.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Blue Ox SwayPro recommended and installed on our new 25’RBT by Airstream DFW. I have been very pleased with the ease of hookup, it is quiet, and tracks extremely well. Overall it is much better than my last ProPride. There is not enough tracking improvement to justify the 3x expense, the extra care required to hitch it up or my occasional anger in trying to hitch it up on uneven surfaces. While I am sure there is some incentive for Airstream to team up with Blue Ox it is nonetheless a very good option.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
hiking’,

The Equalizer has an adjustment on the bottom of the hitch head as well as the more obvious ones. Getting them all correct can be a challenge though a suspension shop should be able to do it. You can call the manufacturer to get advice. Our dealer didn’t bother to properly adjust and it still worked well. When I adjusted it, it worked better.

Having to crank around the attachment to the chain with a wrench is harder sometimes than doing the Equalizer bars and my wife doesn’t think she can do it—if she’d actually try it, maybe she’d find out differently. The Blue Ox hitch head is a little lighter than the Equalizer, so that is slightly good.

I know bigger is better is part of American culture, but I can’t understand why a bigger truck and its somewhat heavier weight eliminates sway. It may make the truck move less, and it may make the driver feel less, but what is the science involved in this?

Old 07-04-2022, 05:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
hikingí,

The Equalizer has an adjustment on the bottom of the hitch head as well as the more obvious ones. Getting them all correct can be a challenge though a suspension shop should be able to do it. You can call the manufacturer to get advice. Our dealer didnít bother to properly adjust and it still worked well. When I adjusted it, it worked better.

Having to crank around the attachment to the chain with a wrench is harder sometimes than doing the Equalizer bars and my wife doesnít think she can do itóif sheíd actually try it, maybe sheíd find out differently. The Blue Ox hitch head is a little lighter than the Equalizer, so that is slightly good.

I know bigger is better is part of American culture, but I canít understand why a bigger truck and its somewhat heavier weight eliminates sway. It may make the truck move less, and it may make the driver feel less, but what is the science involved in this?

Oh interesting, thanks for sharing. Between a close call I had and a scary unhitching story my wife found on Airstream Addicts on Facebook, weíve talked about the Equalizer. I doubt that Iíll make that mistake again, nor will my wife, but itís good to know more about the other options in case we do decide to make a change.

I hear you on the bigger is better mentality. As soon as we joined Airstream forums I had people telling me the Flying Cloud 23 and our F-150 were too small and we were going to want to upgrade in a few years. Everyone wants us to want bigger. But we came from much smaller trailers (17 and 19 feet). 23 was actually stretching further than we wanted. But I think we made the right call. This is going to be the trailer and truck combo for us.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Į\_(ツ)_/Į , California
The only really difficult aspect about setting up an Equalizer hitch and getting it hitched/unhitched with bars is wearing gloves when it is hot.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
The only really difficult aspect about setting up an Equalizer hitch and getting it hitched/unhitched with bars is wearing gloves when it is hot.

Lol! The finish on the BlueOx must be insulating. Iíve never experienced ours getting too hot.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I adjusted the Equalizer on a day when it was about 90˚. I was hot, not the bars or head. The hitch gained weight as the time wore on and by the last time I had taken it off, did another adjustment, and reattached it, it weighted another 25 lbs. more, though I don't know how that is possible. Of course, I didn't wear gloves, so maybe that was a better choice.

More adjustments, mean more fine tuning. On the blue ox, there is the height of the hitch and how much chain you take up (you could move the things that take up the chains, but I have no idea of the effect). Each has large differences between each adjustment. The Equalizer has more, finer adjustments, thus taking more time, but a better result. First you get the truck level, then the trailer. If you are lucky the bars will be level, and that is a good thing, but hard to achieve on many truck/trailer combinations. I tried every possible combination on the Equalizer and finally got it right. Then I understood how it worked and that made it easier if I had problems on the road, but I didn't. I would have saved an afternoon in the sun if I had asked a good suspension shop to adjust it. But then I wouldn't have understood it.