Old 05-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Air Safe Class VI Set-Up and Care

I just purchased and installed an AirSafe Class VI hitch on our GMC 2500 pulling a Classic 33'. Wow! What a difference!

2020 GMC Denali HD 2500
2019 Airstream Classic 33' FB Twin
Equalizer 1,400/14,000 WD Hitch
Air Safe Hitch Class VI with 2-1/2" Shank & Weight Distribution Bracket

Searching back through the threads, I couldn't find much about maintenance and set-up, mostly pros and cons. The instructions that came with the hitch were not real clear and the air pressure chart does not come close to reality. Following is how ai set up the hitch and a few maintenance questions.

Set-Up: Install hitch into receiver. Bolt on WD bracket. Set ball mount bracket with WD so that ball is 1/2" above cup on trailer. Leveled air safe tie rods horizontal. Attached trailer to hitch and raised jack. Leveled air safe hitch (tie rods). Put WD spring bars into place. With a tongue weight of 1,250 lbs it took 78 psi to level the hitch. The provided chart suggests I should get there at about 52 psi.

Maintenance:
Do you deflate (even partially) the air bag when storing or not using for long periods?

Cleaning - I assume a mild detergent and a good rinse. Aerospace 303 on the air bag?

Torque values for the bolts on the hitch: tie rods, shocks, and air bag?

Thanks and look forward to any comments.

BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Air Safe Class VI Set-Up and Care

I have a 2017 F350 6.7 td Platinum crew cab 8ft box and tow a 28ft International.I have used my Airsafe hitch for 6+ years and over 50,000 miles.Have never had to tighten any bolts.I leave inflated when stored.At different outdoor temperature and altitude I check at fuel stops to make sure arms are perfectly horizontal and will add or subtract air when needed.Just keep clean and I wash at the quarter car wash regularly when traveling.No chemicals or anything but soap and water on airbag needed.I would not travel without my Airsafe hitch as it makes a huge difference in the ride of tv and our Airstream.A great product that actually works!

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Moflash,

Thanks for the feedback. It does seem to be quite a robust unit and a rather simple but solid design. I look forward to many comfortable and quality miles.

On a recent trip from Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN up I-75, our kitchen sink fell out of the mounts. That was the last straw after popped rivets, slung open doors, etc. Test drive with the air safe went well. Heading to Jackson Center next up I-75 through TN and KY, that will be the test.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:41 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
IMHO....Not needed with a properly set-up rig.

Airbags, on the hitch or TV suspension is not the way to 'level' the rig. TETO

Bob
🇺🇸

"Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
I have been using an Airsafe for over two years. What a difference in the trailer. No maintenance, just check the proper level of the arms on a level surface occasionally. I use a bicycle pump to adjust.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
🇺🇸
This is not to level anything, it acts as a shock absorber between the TV and trailer.
WayneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Class V AirSafe

I have used an Airsafe on my 2014 and 2018 30’. The biggest challenge is putting it in and out of my receiver , it weighs 75ibs. I use it with a 2500HD. No complaints. Solid ride, better than my ProPride ride. Nothing against the mechanical application of the PP, just a better ride.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
This is not to level anything, it acts as a shock absorber between the TV and trailer.
Sorry...it was the hitch that was leveled, I misread it.

'Cloudsplitter' is set up properly without an air bag add-on.
Think I'll leave it that way.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Another Satisfied AirSafe Owner

We have a very similar setup on our TV and AS.

The only 'con' I can list for the AirSafe would be the weight when installing/removing from the TV. And we have the added weight of a TowTector as well. I estimate ours is pushing 100lbs with the TowTector. Plus the entire assembly is as wide as the truck! I'm looking at building a cradle to fit the bottom of the AirSafe out of wood. The cradle would then sit on an extra tranny jack I picked up at auction. I think this will simplify installing/removing it from the TV, and prevent me from injuring myself.

We live on a gravel road and saw some evidence of rocks flying up the first time we brought the trailer home. I followed the same steps as you when installing/configuring the first time. I visually check the alignment of the tie rods, ensuring their are horizontal once the trailer weight is on the tongue, adding/releasing air as needed. The AirSafe gets cleaned once we get home when the truck and trailer are cleaned.

Last summer we spent nearly 4 weeks visiting Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier NPs and then into BC and Alberta. Many varied road surfaces. Always had a smooth ride. No "chucking" at the hitch and no rock damage on the AS.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:

Bob
����
My class IV will loose air over a period of months and needs a shot, which also levels the trailer.

I also use 1000# spring bars, The air bag supplements the function of the spring bars.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #11
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
As with all air ride systems, you should adjust the equalizer bars first, then activate the air bag(s). Otherwise, the bag(s) are doing the work of the bars. I have had air bags for 11 years and would not have another TV without them. My 34' Classic takes about 75-80 PSI to ride the best. I had to go to bags because the 'Freeway Jounce" produced on some Interstate highways caused my Automatic Implanted Cardio Defibrillator's (AICD) internal accelerator to speed my heart up into the tachycardia range (pulse over 100 BPM). I use straight silicone spray on all rubber products for protection. We first used silicone on hatch seal on the B-52s way back in the early 60s. I actually recovers the silicone to original condition. Works great on Airstream window and door seals.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Escondido , CA
Please post a pic of your setup with equalizer bars

Those of you with Please post a pic of your setup with Equalizer 1,400/14,000 WD Hitch and your Air Safe Hitch Class VI with 2-1/2" Shank & Weight Distribution Bracket
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:

Bob
🇺🇸
The point is not to level the rig. The point is reduce shock in the trailer. Our trailer rides perfectly level and tows with ease using the Equalizer WD set-up. Our issue is the damage to the trailer from the rough roads.

The air safe hitch is not meant for leveling tailer. It is solely intended to isolate the trailer from the truck.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by helwigc View Post
I have been using an Airsafe for over two years. What a difference in the trailer. No maintenance, just check the proper level of the arms on a level surface occasionally. I use a bicycle pump to adjust.
Thanks,

I spoke to the owner yesterday and he told me that they are in the process of revamping their website and providing more information.

A couple of things from our conversation:

All bolts are torqued to 80 ft lbs. On the shocks and tie rods, they use red loctite.
The are changing their recommendation to set the tie rods slightly above horizontal. When I pressed him about this he said that they are finding that too many people are under inflating the air bag and they would prefer more than less. As we continued this line of discussion, we also discussed the need to monitor the height as a result of large temperature or altitude changes.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Sorry...it was the hitch that was leveled, I misread it.

'Cloudsplitter' is set up properly without an air bag add-on.
Think I'll leave it that way.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
No problem
Old 05-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsatwork View Post
Those of you with Please post a pic of your setup with Equalizer 1,400/14,000 WD Hitch and your Air Safe Hitch Class VI with 2-1/2" Shank & Weight Distribution Bracket
See attached. You can't really see the 2-1/2" shank but you can tell there is no adapter in the receiver so it is a 2-1/2"

NOTE: the tie rods are way above horizontal, but this is because there is no load on the hitch.

Also attached is the part number and description from the invoice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirSafe.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	367491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	367492  

Old 05-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
As with all air ride systems, you should adjust the equalizer bars first, then activate the air bag(s). Otherwise, the bag(s) are doing the work of the bars. I have had air bags for 11 years and would not have another TV without them. My 34' Classic takes about 75-80 PSI to ride the best. I had to go to bags because the 'Freeway Jounce" produced on some Interstate highways caused my Automatic Implanted Cardio Defibrillator's (AICD) internal accelerator to speed my heart up into the tachycardia range (pulse over 100 BPM). I use straight silicone spray on all rubber products for protection. We first used silicone on hatch seal on the B-52s way back in the early 60s. I actually recovers the silicone to original condition. Works great on Airstream window and door seals.
guskmg
Thanks,

I will try with setting the WD before leveling the hitch to see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Chicken or egg? It is just common sense if the air pressure is low the airsafe will not work properly and the level will be affected. I have very strong spring bars. with low presure the airsafe bottoms out from tongue weight. Saying air pressure does not affect the level is wrong. Air pressure and spring bar adjustment must work together.

Also, because the airsafe sticks out from the rear it is not very visible to vehicles behind you. I painted mine to make it more visible.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
My Airsafe carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
I have used an Airsafe on my 2014 and 2018 30’. The biggest challenge is putting it in and out of my receiver , it weighs 75ibs. I use it with a 2500HD. No complaints. Solid ride, better than my ProPride ride. Nothing against the mechanical application of the PP, just a better ride.
My dear brother took pity on me and modified a welding 2wheeled hand truck to carry my Airsafe when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	647AF7DF-C01C-4F94-94A2-CA6ACAE5C38A.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	367493   Click image for larger version

Name:	BABBC3FD-46DE-49E7-8151-1CF177651636.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	367494  

Name:	1E50BED9-B383-43BC-97EC-661BB5CB2772.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	367495  
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Chicken or egg? It is just common sense if the air pressure is low the airsafe will not work properly and the level will be affected. I have very strong spring bars. with low presure the airsafe bottoms out from tongue weight. Saying air pressure does not affect the level is wrong. Air pressure and spring bar adjustment must work together.

Also, because the airsafe sticks out from the rear it is not very visible to vehicles behind you. I painted mine to make it more visible.
At the end of the day, it is was it is. It makes sense that the spring bars will affect the level. 78psi is not a bad number for the air safe.

Just my curiosity, tomorrow I will set it before and after and let you know if it makes a significant difference.