Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Venice , Florida
I have a Class VII on my 2020 HD Denali, but getting it on and off the truck is a chore! A local fabricator resolved the issue with a manual scissor jack that folds flat enough to travel with us. I have attached a photo, and will reply to a PM with the vendor contact information. This thing is truly a "back saver" and I'm grateful for it every time I use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air safe lift.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	368171  
LivinRiveted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
As with all air ride systems, you should adjust the equalizer bars first, then activate the air bag(s). Otherwise, the bag(s) are doing the work of the bars. I have had air bags for 11 years and would not have another TV without them. My 34' Classic takes about 75-80 PSI to ride the best. I had to go to bags because the 'Freeway Jounce" produced on some Interstate highways caused my Automatic Implanted Cardio Defibrillator's (AICD) internal accelerator to speed my heart up into the tachycardia range (pulse over 100 BPM). I use straight silicone spray on all rubber products for protection. We first used silicone on hatch seal on the B-52s way back in the early 60s. I actually recovers the silicone to original condition. Works great on Airstream window and door seals.
guskmg
Ok, the proof is in - WD first is the correct method. Thanks
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinRiveted View Post
I have a Class VII on my 2020 HD Denali, but getting it on and off the truck is a chore! A local fabricator resolved the issue with a manual scissor jack that folds flat enough to travel with us. I have attached a photo, and will reply to a PM with the vendor contact information. This thing is truly a "back saver" and I'm grateful for it every time I use it.
Awesome, just bought the same transmission jack from Harbor Freight. Works perfect.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:17 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Please send vendor info, and thank you.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I've used the VI for several years.

I don't understand what folks are talking about in terms of leveling. This can easily be achieved by adjusting bag pressure after you connect, but you also can adjust based on the number of chain links too, so the bag pressure is just more or less fine adjustement. I use mine with WD.

The sole purpose of this device is not to level the trailer, it's to cushion the connection between the trailer and the tow vehicle, mostly when towing with a truck, 3/4 ton or above. This does make the connection very smooth and it works well with weight distribution and integrated sway with weight distribution. I also have rock tamers attached, also no problems. I have towed well over 18k miles with this device.

Care basically consists of spraying 404 or armor all on the bag to reduce UV damage, I spray the metal parts down with WD-40 to repel water and use keep the cams lubed with whatever is handy. No dirt build up has ever happened and I'm pushing near 10 years with this. I also cover mine with a bag when outside as I don't keep it on the truck after setting up camp.

The only downside is this thing weighs upward of 100lbs. It's not for the lighthearted trying to get it on and off the truck. The positive is, that at that weight and size, it's hard to steal, but do lock it up tight when I leave it with the rig at the campsite.

When I bought this I did notice on their website that using weight distribution can lower the listed ratings...I think it was 10%, so my VI, though rated at 2000lbs, would only be rated for about 1800.

I don't see that disclaimer on their site anymore, but I didn't look very hard because I had bought this planning to go larger and still be well within the guidelines at the time using that 10% reduction.

http://airsafehitch.com/
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Please send vendor info, and thank you.
For the cart: Harbor Freight
https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...nsmission+jack

For the hitch: AirSafe Hitch
http://airsafehitch.com/category/air...vers/class-vi/
Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
I've used the VI for several years.

I don't understand what folks are talking about in terms of leveling. This can easily be achieved by adjusting bag pressure after you connect, but you also can adjust based on the number of chain links too, so the bag pressure is just more or less fine adjustement. I use mine with WD.

The sole purpose of this device is not to level the trailer, it's to cushion the connection between the trailer and the tow vehicle, mostly when towing with a truck, 3/4 ton or above. This does make the connection very smooth and it works well with weight distribution and integrated sway with weight distribution. I also have rock tamers attached, also no problems. I have towed well over 18k miles with this device.

Care basically consists of spraying 404 or armor all on the bag to reduce UV damage, I spray the metal parts down with WD-40 to repel water and use keep the cams lubed with whatever is handy. No dirt build up has ever happened and I'm pushing near 10 years with this. I also cover mine with a bag when outside as I don't keep it on the truck after setting up camp.

The only downside is this thing weighs upward of 100lbs. It's not for the lighthearted trying to get it on and off the truck. The positive is, that at that weight and size, it's hard to steal, but do lock it up tight when I leave it with the rig at the campsite.

When I bought this I did notice on their website that using weight distribution can lower the listed ratings...I think it was 10%, so my VI, though rated at 2000lbs, would only be rated for about 1800.

I don't see that disclaimer on their site anymore, but I didn't look very hard because I had bought this planning to go larger and still be well within the guidelines at the time using that 10% reduction.

http://airsafehitch.com/
Hi,

The WD attachment derates the tongue capacity by 25% because the ball is further back than with the standard ball attachment. This does not affect the towing capacity of 20,000. You now have a hitch with a tongue rating of 1,500 lbs. This disclaimer is in bold on their installation instructions.

As for leveling, there are three distinct things here. One is leveling of the hitch, the second is leveling of the vehicle, and the third is leveling of the trailer.

HITCH: My concern with leveling the hitch (AirSafe) was that it was taking more air pressure to do so than the chart suggested. Once I realized that my tongue weight was 1,640 lbs and factored in the 25% derating, the air pressure required to level the hitch made sense. In the end, if our trailer is going to consistently over 1,500 lbs, then it's time to upgrade to a Class VII.

VEHICLE: The AirSafe is not meant for and should not be used to level the trailer or vehicle. The AirSafe does not and will not transfer load to the front end of the vehicle-only a properly set-up WD system will do this. The WD is for leveling the vehicle.

TRAILER: Neither the WD nor the AirSafe is for leveling the trailer. This is accomplished only by leveling the trailer and setting the ball height on the vehicle accordingly. If the trailer weight is too much for the vehicle, then a properly set up WD will bring it back to where it should be.

This brings up another issue which Airstream has acknowledged. The newer 33' Classics will likely have a tongue weight in excess of the typical 15% ratio of tongue to gross trailer weight. This is because all of the storage is front of the axels. Airstream assured me that a ratio of 17% was well within the capability of the trailer. (17% is where I am with a full tank of water; otherwise I'm at 16%).

We now have one trip under our belt with our new set-up and can tell a huge improvement. I really like the ease and adjustability of the Blue Ox WD system.

Thanks for your comments. I'm using Aerospace 303 on the airbag; however, the owner of AirSafe told me that he recommends nothing. I'm with you here, the UV is too harsh of left out all the time.

The AirSafe is a bear to lift. Take a look at the Transmission jack set-up in an earlier post on this thread. I bought one and it was a great investment for less than a $100.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
We have the same set-up as you, and over the last 5 years have put around 30,000 miles on the Equalizer/AirSafe combo on our 2014 27FB Classic with great success. Our original TV was a 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4, with a *very* stiff suspension (farm truck). When we'd stop to check the TT after a rough stretch of interstate, we'd find drawers open and pillows on the floor, etc. Since the addition of the AirSafe, none of that - even on those stretches of I-20 through Mississippi that have not been repaired since they were shelled by Grant and Sherman! We upgraded to a 2015 Ram/Cummins Crew Cab & Long Bed, and most of the 30k has been with that vehicle. Tows like a dream and rides like a Caddy, with ne'er a pillow out of place...

When we bought the Class VI, it only came with a 2" shank; and since there was such a large degree of slop between that and the factory Ram adapter, I had the adapter welded to the shank. There was still pretty loose tolerances between the adapter and the receiver, so I always tighten the hitch with one of those U-Bolt hitch tighteners - otherwise that extra foot of stinger really exacerbates the sloppy fit! As you've discovered, always level the arms after placing the WD bars into position (we have the 1,000/10,000 bars for our 9,000 GVW 27FB). I usually overinflate just a tad, because it sometimes goes down a bit after we're underway. If it is still high after first check, I can always deflate a bit with a fingernail on the valve. Easier to *deflate* with a finger than to hook up the VitalAir compressor to *inflate* if too low.

And, yes - it weighs a ton. I have a hand truck that converts to a cart, and that is the hitch's perch between trips. I can line it up to the receiver, but my wife and I still have about a 6" lift to install it. Might give one of those tranny jacks a try!

When people on the forum ask about these Equalizer/AirSafe combos, I have always highly recommended them, based on my own experience. If you have to check your side-view mirrors to make sure your TT is still behind you, you're doing it right!
Old 06-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

My AirSafe Class V is still going strong after 16 years of service. I've never put anything on the airbags, but when not in use it is stored out of the sunlight.

I checked the bolts a few years ago, and they did not require any retightening. Not at all.

I bought the AirSafe when I realized my F250 was not being very gentle to my Airstream. After a few popped rivets, I bought the AirSafe. It works exactly as advertised. It's comforting to see the trailer undulating with the road back there on rough roads without being bullied and jerked around by the F250. That's because the trailer is insulated from the truck's stiff suspension with a cushion of air.

Since my Class V only weights about 75 pounds, I'm still able to install it myself without the use of jacks. Of course, I'm only 76, so I've got a few years to go before needing assistance; unless the virus gets me, of course.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
A call to air safe in ND has gone unanswered for two days ... then a recording that the number is out of service. ???

Wanted to check pricing and see if they have any used or demo units.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:30 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
A call to air safe in ND has gone unanswered for two days ... then a recording that the number is out of service. ???

Wanted to check pricing and see if they have any used or demo units.
I know when I bought mine I had a little trouble getting hold of folks. Seems a small operation and the owner has his hands in several pots.

Here’s a name and number:

Jeff Wilkens
701-277-0510 (C)
406-281-8302 (O)
Jeff.wilkens@epicsoftware.biz

Don Browen
Dbrowen@airsafehitch.com
Old 07-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
I received our AirHitch Class VI with 2 1/2" Shank and WD Bracket. Exact same setup as @ByronJ - even the same truck! Thanks again for the help, BTW. Wow. This is much larger and much heavier than expected. Built like a tank!

We decided to go with a Reese Straight Line Dual Cam WD setup to go with the AirSafe. We're picking up our GT30 this Friday and the dealer will be installing the Reese for us during our orientation and delivery. I have what is probably a stupid question. The AirSafe didn't come with a hitch bolt and the AirSafe isn't cheap. So, I wanted to protect it somewhat with a hitch bolt lock. Looked around and saw that the AMP Lock was the nicest available. Ordered it. Received it. Very nicely made of all stainless steel and sturdy. Then I see that it is only rated as a Class III. And this is their larger 5/8" version designed for a 2 1/2" receiver.

In looking at less expensive locks and very cheap bolts, they're all 5/8" diameter as well, yet are rated up to Class V. What gives? Do I need to remove the lock and use a standard cheap bolt with safety pin when towing?
dlfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Looks just like the one I bought from Harbor Freight. It sure is a back saver!
Old 07-22-2020, 01:17 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
One day while hitching up I took a good look at the AirSafe and it was slightly bent to one side. Apparently, someone ran into it while it was attached to the back of my truck, probably when I was parked in a parking lot (hit and run). The AirSafe was an old class V that utilized a hollow shank. Anyway, the guy who owns the company said that instead of fixing it he would rather trade me up to a class VI for a few dollars plus my old Hitch.. At the time I was headed to ND anyway so I I stopped by his shop in Fargo.
I left there a about 30 minutes later with a new solid shank class VI. Can't say enough good things about AirSafe hitches and the customer service provided by them.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
I think this is what you are talking about - Harbor Freight for $109 (less coupon) https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ack-61232.html

Seem like a really good idea!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote