Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LAFAYETTE , Colorado
Air pressure tires

Towing a 16ft Bambi with a Honda Odyssey for winter.

Van tires say max pressure 40 pounds
Trailer tires say max pressure 50 pounds

Should I max them all? Will be just under maximum weight

Thanks

Ty
TY PECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I follow the auto manufacturer's recommendation in the driver's door for the car. My AS says 50 lbs. for the tires. I've done that for the year that we've had it but just bumped it up to 60 lbs. so I can go 70 instead of 65.

Both handle very well, no complaints or issues.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Following the manufacturer's specs for the tires on your van, and the tires on your Airstream. These tire engineers are very fussy on their pressure recommendations. Your trailer likely has ST tires. These are specially designed for trailers. Read the sidewall on your trailer tires. It likely says max speed is 65 mph. Plenty fast enough for towing.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I put 65lbs in my tires, that's the manufactures recommended presure & I take their word for it.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Which manufacturer? The tire or the trailer?
I am sure the tire guys will chime in here.
ST tires are rated for 65mph max.
They are also rated a 65 psi max.
They have a max load carrying capacity which coincides with the max air pressure.
Many vehicles today are equipped with a tachometer. That tach has a red line for the RPM of the engine. The red line is the max RPM recommended by the manufacturer.
Generator manufactures state an 80% constant load limit.
If you won't drive your vehicle at the max RPM. Why are you willing to test the limits of your tires?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Yes, follow the VEHICLE manufacturer's specs for tire pressure (unless you change tire size!). There should be a sticker on EVERY vehicle sold in the US that lists the original tire size and the vehicle manufacturer's pressure specs for that size.

If you'll notice, the tire manufacturer says to follow the vehicle manufacturer's specs. Yes, the tire manufacturers do publish charts and tables but you should also notice those are MINIMUMS and NOT recommendations.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Air pressure tires

Our F250 was a little squirrely. So I checked the tire inflation. It was what the vehicle said which is less than the tire sidewalls say. I looked at the receipt for the tires (E rated same size as originals) and the tire guy had written at the bottom to inflate to sidewall pressure. I inflated to sidewall pressure and the squirreliness went away.
The trailer tires are also inflated to sidewall pressure. And we tow at 60-65 mph. We're retired and in no hurry.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
At the Goodyear site it says that the ST tire is rated for 65 MPH but you can increase your tire pressure 10 lbs. above maximum and drive 70. (My STs max at 50 lbs.) I would say that would be the tire manufacturer's recommendation. I normally drive at 60-65 but I also don't want to be a traffic problem going through cities so sometimes I bump up to 70. The AS says 50 lbs. but I've not noticed any difference in handling by going up 10 lbs., feels the same. I just bumped up so if I notice any difference I'll go back to 50.

In the door of all of my Toyotas is the sticker with recommended tire size and pressure. (I thought this was a required sticker.) I use those recommendations and never have had a problem with handling. I always replace with the tire size/type that was on the vehicle when I purchased it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote