Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Advice on hitch and sway control

Just purchased a new 2015 FC Twin from Tampa RV today. They offer the Reese hitch and sway control system. I have a 2013 Ford F150 super crew Ecoboost with tow package for a TV. After reading the forum on hitches and sway control I'm really at a loss as to what to purchase. The F150 states it has a sway control as standard feature but I don't know if this is all I need to tow the 25' FC?? Any comments on this subject?

Does anyone use the Reese system or is there one that is considered the best?

Sold a 40' Tiffin Class A several years ago and I used a Blue Ox to tow a Honda CRV for over 38000 miles but sway control was not needed.

Thanks
Guyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
Having pulled various travel trailers including a 30' Airstream with Equal-i-zer, Hensley, and Reese hitches, there are a lot of good options out there. The Reese Dual-Cam I am currently using with my 2006 30' Bunkhouse does an excellent job of weight distribution and sway control.
gwydir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you want the best get a ProPride or Hensley and save yourself the cost of experimenting with others. They are of the same basic Hensley design and are the only design that projects any sway or sideways push from side winds and passing semi's forward to the rear axle (where they are stopped) rather than leveraging these forces forward to the steering axle. Other hitches control these sideways and sway movements to varying degrees, the Hensley/ProPride design eliminates them.

We use a Ram 1500 (which also has built-in electronic sway control) and thought the other hitches worked pretty good until we bought the ProPride; they are not in the same league.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Your Ford will do fine as far as ability goes. The "sway control" that they claim only activates play AFTER the sway starts.

IMHO you will be much better off with a properly set up WD hitch with sway control, many workable options out there, do your homework.

As mentioned the Hensley and 3p the most expensive. We use the Hensley.
Trying to explain why we use them is impossible if you haven't....so I won't.
They stop sway from starting, 'nuff said.

New Airstream plus capable tow vehicle=substantial investment. Why scrimp now?

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
When we bought ours it came with a Reese. After a not so great ride back to madison WI from Minnesota, I ordered the propride and am happy with it. What I didn't realize is that the Reese was only a weight distributing hitch and I could have gotten a sway control bar for it. I could have tried that first and maybe saved some money. Don't get me wrong , the pp works as advertised. The rig goes down the road steady as a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1965 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyel View Post
Just purchased a new 2015 FC Twin from Tampa RV today. They offer the Reese hitch and sway control system. I have a 2013 Ford F150 super crew Ecoboost with tow package for a TV. After reading the forum on hitches and sway control I'm really at a loss as to what to purchase. The F150 states it has a sway control as standard feature but I don't know if this is all I need to tow the 25' FC?? Any comments on this subject?

Does anyone use the Reese system or is there one that is considered the best?

Sold a 40' Tiffin Class A several years ago and I used a Blue Ox to tow a Honda CRV for over 38000 miles but sway control was not needed.

Thanks
The dealer installed a Reese Dual Cam on our first trailer, the 23.

Not sure what length of trailer you've got, but here's my take.

With the first two years and the 23, trucks would pass me on interstate, and I felt it, big time.

Then we moved up to the 25 Twin BR. The dealer (Colonial) had NO problems with the Reese set up. And they sold me a drop shank that they thought matched my 2013 Suburban (which wasn't delivered when I traded for the 25).

Two months later, I took delivery on my Suburban, installed the shank Colonial told me I needed, and still had the "Truck passing me on interstate", issues of sway induced by the large semi.

THEN, when in Jackson Center (home of Airstream), to get awnings installed, it was explained to me that I didn't have the right kind of shank (not enough drop).

I contacted Reese, told them my story, and they sent another shank that would lower my hitch to the right height.

IT WORKED!

Bottom line? Reese, when installed correctly works as advertised. Reese, the company stands behind its product and goes the extra distance for the customer.

My advice is, the Reese system, if installed properly works at about a third of the cost of the Hensley or ProPride.

Good Luck, and congrats on the new rig!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
25' Half Ton works great. Used Reese Dual Cam with ours when we had it and did not have significant sway, it did sway. Have a 1 Ton with Equalizer towing a 30' FC, no sway issues. Not a fair comparison, but if you don't want to spend $2,000 + for a hitch I'd consider an equalizer. That said the Hensley and ProPrides are great products from what I've been told and due eliminate sway, don't stop it, eliminate it through different technology, but they are in the $2k range.

Good luck and enjoy
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We have a Reese setup, it's a combo of a few of the options they sell as I seem to have multiple paper for each. Sway control HD, anti friction, etc.

It works well and I haven't experienced any problems yet. Also towing with a 1500 Ram.

That being said, I am leaning towards a Propride myself for peace of mind. But I have things higher on the list currently, like new tires.

But if I was buying a unit out right, I'd go straight to the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-28254.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	231438  
Old 01-31-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
We use the blue ox sway pro on our 28', and love it. Our trailer is probably about half the weight of yours.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I use the Equal-i-zer. I like it, however, I do know have experience with other brands. I did a lot of reading here and searching on the web before deciding. Anderson was found not to be compatible with the couple on my airstream.

Ron
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-31-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

........ the obsession with the cost of the PPP/Hensley?

....... spend all that money on a new 27'+ Airstream with all the "mandatory" stuff and upgrades that goes along with it, not to mention the TV, and then flinch at the cost of a hitch system that will add greatly to the enjoyment/safety of using said investment.

Maybe an additional 2-3%...

Bob
Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

What's the weight and length of your new AS? Obviously with a light, short trailer you have more options. I had a 30' classic with a slide. Close to 10,000#. The dealer sold us an Equalizer. Should have been called a Terrorizer. Waste of money. Bought the ProPride. HUGE difference.

Now we have the 2015 25' FC FB. With the PP don't even know it's there. However I think it's closer to 6,000# and obviously a shorter wheel base.

One other thing. We came from the 5th wheel world where you are used to no sway EVER (the one thing that 5th wheels have over ASs). The geometry of PP (& HH) essential make AS tow like a 5th wheel by moving you trailer's pivot point over your rear axle. They are truly wonders of engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
rasjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

If hasn't popped up on this thread yet, but there is an undercurrent of controversy that surfaces on "best hitch threads" that usually always is centered on Hensley designed hitches.

Who knows maybe this time it won't.

Anyway I am going to say my piece.

I have towed on the ball, and I have towed on my bought used $1,200 delivered Hensley. I have no experience with any other WD hitches, but I have hundreds of thousands of miles of experience towing trailers.

The short story is that the Hensley not only eliminates sway at any speed and condition, it makes the trailer pull entirely differently. It completely changes the mannerisms of the trailer for the better making the trailer a pleasure to pull. "Joy in driving" matters.

RKL1954 rightly noted that these hitches tow as if they were a fifth wheel, I agree, except maybe even better. I was astounded by the change on the first test drive and since.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

....... spend all that money on a new 27'+ Airstream with all the "mandatory" stuff and upgrades that goes along with it, not to mention the TV, and then flinch at the cost of a hitch system that will add greatly to the enjoyment/safety of using said investment.

Bob
It's funny you state that. The thing that comes to mind Bob, is the number of folks on this site ho espouse the idea of NO DEBT lifestyle and eschew credit. If you're one of these people, than a 2~3K hitch becomes a big deal vs a $300 hitch when you'll be paying cash. (also, most of the folks on this forum are older, and many on fixed retirement incomes) And it makes it something folks have to plan for, and obviously, that would mean considering if it is even worth the investment or not.

Not to say it isn't worth the investment, but I can think of a lot of expensive things folks think are worth the money that simply are not, and are just a "me too" purchase.

Me, I'm planning for it. In my own order of operations, which means I'll use what came with mine until I finish the other big dollar items on my list, cause it works.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
With a VPP hitch these trailers tow better than any 5er. Those are burdened by high COG, crap suspension, and huge sail area. The idea that a 5er tows better has always been ludicrous, but 97% of trailer owners can't be bothered to get best WD performance, thus the myth.

There is no substitute for setting the WD on a certified scale. Past that there is no substitute for a VPP hitch, only significantly inferior performance no matter how well set up given most combinations.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:

Bob
No obsession with the cost difference at all, Bob.

My decision was made when one of the head techs (not Chris) at Jackson Center helped me with my Reese. His comment of, "I use the Reese, too.", spoke volumes to me.

Perhaps that Hensley/PP peace of mind is priceless to some, but…

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:

Bob
According to this logic, every owner should upgrade:
1. To 16" LT tires, because they never experience blowouts
2. To a one ton dually, because it tows better

It's only money after all.

There are numerous hitches that when setup properly, with conservative driving habits, will provide the same experience. Reese, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Equalizer, just to name a few. Not everyone needs or can afford the most expensive.

The most important thing is the setup.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It used to be amusing to read these threads, but how many times can you read "I am right because...." and still be amused? Yet people continue to think they are going to obtain useful information by asking such questions.
I am convinced that you cannot expect to hear what tow vehicle, what hitch, or even what size trailer is the right choice by reading opinions on this forum.
You will end up befuddled and will need to do even more thorough research elsewhere. Maybe that says there is no right choice; you just have to make a decision and live with it. Of course if you have unlimited funds just buy the biggest tow vehicle, the most expensive hitch, and the longest AS with all of the options, including an electric awning.
Life was easier for me. I already had a TV I wanted to use, I fell into a deal I could not pass up for my AS, so I only looked to the forum for advice on a hitch. After sifting through a gazillion threads, I concluded that I could not go wrong, under any circumstance, with the ProPride, and that it would give me maximum peace of mind for safety. I have not regretted that decision for even a millisecond. I do not pretend to be right. I just made my decision and I am happy with it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I really think that first order of business is to have capable t vehicle. And PROPER height and set up of hitch. I have not done comparison but have towesd thousands of miles with premium Reese dual cam and have had no issues at all. Have long wheelbase 96 F250 4x4 powerstroke scab with 31' 2003 Classic. A friend has Hensley and likes it.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
According to this logic, every owner should upgrade:
1. To 16" LT tires, because they never experience blowouts
2. To a one ton dually, because it tows better

It's only money after all.

There are numerous hitches that when setup properly, with conservative driving habits, will provide the same experience. Reese, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Equalizer, just to name a few. Not everyone needs or can afford the most expensive.

The most important thing is the setup.
Bingo....you are exactly rite, almost, there is no logic here, only opinions, and we all have our own.

The most important thing is thoughtful rationalization. TETO

Bob