Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2023, 01:26 PM   #41
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I went with a Ram Dually because it had the most payload in diesels and with the 17 inch wheels it would fit in my garage in Texas. You don’t want to store it outdoors with the heat we have down here in the summer months.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 01:48 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Get a 3/4 or 1ton diesel. Nobody ever complains their tow vehicle has too much capacity.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
If you're looking for high end luxury nothing comes close to a RAM Limited. RAM also has the best diesel. Its not unusual to get 1,000,000 miles out of a Cummins. As for SCR and DPF systems, they were a problem when they were first mandated 10 years ago, but they worked most of the problems out of them by now. Also the emissions systems generally have extended warranties.
As much as I love my Ram, I think saying it's not unusual to get 1M miles out of a Cummins is a stretch. There are only 131 members of the Cummins High Mileage Club that have reached the 1M mile mark. And, that's across all classes. Maybe 300K is a more reasonable goal (there are 3015 members).
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:55 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by klash View Post
. . . for a 25fbt globetrotter. Yearly cross country trips. Gas? Diesel? Ford, ram, Chevy, gmc?
2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2 gas pulling a heavily modified 2022 25 RBT. Based out of Denver. Orlando, Sandiego x 2, Oakland, Phoenix x 3, and throughout the Rocky Mountains all last year. Lots of high altitude long grades. Over 18,000 miles on the hitch. I installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit and an aluminum 50-gallon auxiliary tank combo toolbox in the bed. About a 750-mile towing range. I often have our eBikes on the top of the bed as well. I am right at the max numbers when both tanks are full and the bikes are on but boy does it do a great job towing and can't be beaten when not towing. Yes, I have towed with numerous diesel 3/4 tons and would not go back. For a 25' this is a great truck.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:30 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Maintenance for MY 2019 F350 Diesel

Mileage at 83,000 miles, 6.7L Diesel. Drive it as a comfortable, sitting high above local traffic and great towing experience for the current 27 foot International and Oliver Elite II.

Turbo(s) kick in when needed. Gas mileage varies and determined by your LEAD FOOT. Average 11 to 15 mpg. Going down a mountain paved road... maybe 30mpg. I found it maxes out around 60 or so mpg, coasting down the Big Horn Mountains. Going up 8 to 10mpg. Not in a hurry... better mileage. Towing or driving the mileage seems to be about the same. I have not tried 55mph as I am getting older by the hour... and time is worth paying for.

My cost for mechanical issues to date: $0

Ford had a recall and replaced the DEF Unit this Spring. The 'check engine' light came two days before I received the Ford Notification in the Mail.

I change my oil and oil filter in the F350. Those who change oil in a Diesel will never see their oil any color than BLACK. Carbon... is slick and probably helps lubricate the engine as well. It is messy, but after the first oil change... you learn what to do so it does not become one bigger mess.

Fuel Filters are inexpensive and by the time you change them, you forgot that an oil change is much easier.

I buy the filters on the Internet through Rockauto.com. Better prices than anywhere else. The Ford Dealer is much more expensive.

I buy Air Filters through Rockauto.com by the case. Both filters. Always carry spares if I need to change the main filter.

I buy the Oil from Costco for Diesel Engines.

I prefer to do the work myself. It is done right.

I save hundreds of dollars doing it myself. I could not tell if the dealer changed oil, as it would be Black immediately, once the engine is started... so I would write the DATE on the oil filter in magic marker. The oil had to be drained to remove the filter. I then figured out just do it myself and I know it the Diesel Oil was used. Some service centers us Bulk Oil. They do not care.

Oil changes in the 2021 Land Cruiser. It is the cleanest running engine and the oil is always clean. I had two free oil changes for new vehicle and both times the oil did not change color. It will be a challenge due to clearance of the skid plate removal. The older models I could get under it easier and easy. We will see...

Too much truck for towing a trailer? Yep... that is why I have one.

Wyoming Cowboy Cadillac? A Dually F450 Diesel. King of the Rodeo towing horses and livestock!
Old 05-17-2023, 04:27 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
2017 F250 with the 6.2 tried and true. Dang near bulletproof.

Love my V8. She's a beastly thing. Fella says to me one time, at the pumps....I bet that thing doesn't get very good fuel mileage! I told him it ain't a Prius.

Now, a Prius might tow a 30 foot Airstream, but not for long, and likely not very far, notwithstanding the stopping power.

My gas guzzler gets 10 mpg towing. Maybe 8 in West Virginia, Maybe 11.5 in Florida. The dang thing in tow/haul mode even has engine braking, go figure.

I'm at 80 thousand miles on the beast. Another plus, most mechanics understand the big V8, parts ain't hateful to find, prices ain't reeeediculous.

If a guy wants diesel, get a diesel. Nothing wrong with that. They're towing beasts for sure, lower RPM's, quieter ride, better engine braking. I've run my share of diesel equipment over the years. In fact, it was a tough decision to make for me.

I went with the Ford, XLT, 4x4. Added some skid plates underneath. Got the camper package. She's got 3,111 pounds of payload. That oughtta do it, right?

The Chevy and GMC, and even the RAM, likely give a smoother ride when empty than the Ford. I might consider that some day. I gotta run this 6.2 for another 200 thousand miles first

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote