Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
7-Pin Pigtail Length?

How much slack/length is there usually in the 7-pin pigtail?

I'm picking a new to me 27FB this weekend. Want to make sure I don't have any connectivity issues. My LX570 has its 7-pin connector way over on the passenger side well under the rear bumper. This requires a longer reach from the trailer cabling.

Is there typically sufficient slack and length on the pigtail to accommodate my setup? Or should I have an extension with me just in case?

pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
How much slack/length is there usually in the 7-pin pigtail?

I'm picking a new to me 27FB this weekend. Want to make sure I don't have any connectivity issues. My LX570 has its 7-pin connector way over on the passenger side well under the rear bumper. This requires a longer reach from the trailer cabling.

Is there typically sufficient slack and length on the pigtail to accommodate my setup? Or should I have an extension with me just in case?
Easiest way and economical is pur. 7 wire rubber coated cable required length and gauge, then rewire using connectors from old cable if has connector both ends. IMO if using extension not good idea plus lots more money than making new. Simple to do just connect wires to connectors same as before.

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
That's a great point that I can address after I get her home.

Just trying to minimize the issues I'll have to work as I'm grabbing the new to me trailer from the current owner.
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I had a similar issue when I bought my trailer "new to me." The wiring harness was too short, and it'd unplug if I made a sharp right turn. The trailer was 700 miles from home.

One would think they would make a simple 7-pin extender plug....like an 18" long wire with a male and female end that you'd just plug in to the truck and to the trailer and happy motor it down the road. Well, I've not seen that they do.

I went to a Camping World that had literally opened just that day looking for one. No dice. So, I bought a piece of wire, a plug, some connectors and a bunch of electrical tape and I made one up right there in the parking lot. I still have it in case I ever need it again, but it got me home safe and sound. Once home, I modified the one on the trailer to be about a foot longer and it's been fine ever since. Turns out my trailer ('87 Avion 34-X) had a 9-pin connector and the PO had it wired wrong to the 7-pin he had on there. I was lucky to get it home in one piece and not short out my truck or cause a fire. Anyway, rewired it correctly and all is well.

If you have time before going to get it, you could make up such a wire yourself very easily.

Best of luck,