Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #41

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Generally 62 indicated which is an even 60 according to the GPS. I find that more and more 18-wheelers are now running no more than 65 and I actually pass one now and then. That did not always be the case.

I actually speed up on urban freeways to 65 to be more in sync with traffic. I may pull for hours at 60 and then get on MOPAC in Austin and speed up to 65.

With no more St tires to worry about, I am a bit more flexible on speed.
John,

I've noticed that for the last couple of years. I remember where you always passed the UPS 18 wheelers because I think their trucks were restricted to 55 mph. Not any more since I do see them traveling faster. I also remember until recently when Illinois had a 55 mph limit on trucks, trailers, and RV's. I used to like driving there since I typically wasn't passed by truckers. I think that limitation is gone.

Missouri was always pedal to the metal for the 18 wheelers. I used to hate to see them barreling down on me. A lot of those guys used to travel 75 mph +. Lately though they seem to be traveling between 60 and 70 on the interstates here. I wonder if it has anything to do with GPS tracking for company owned trucks or just the cost of fuel?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I agree, slow down and enjoy the ride. Your on vacation, not a scheduled run!

Dave

Dave,
For some with limited time, a vacation is a scheduled run. For instance, if you only have a week, and speed and time on the road can make a difference between a one or two or a three day one way drive. That is a big difference in how much time you spend at your destination which is usually where the vacation actually takes place. For instance when we go to visit family. We have seen everything between here and there many times, however the time spent visiting with family is always valued each time.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #43
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
John,

I've noticed that for the last couple of years. I remember where you always passed the UPS 18 wheelers because I think their trucks were restricted to 55 mph. Not any more since I do see them traveling faster. I also remember until recently when Illinois had a 55 mph limit on trucks, trailers, and RV's. I used to like driving there since I typically wasn't passed by truckers. I think that limitation is gone.

Missouri was always pedal to the metal for the 18 wheelers. I used to hate to see them barreling down on me. A lot of those guys used to travel 75 mph +. Lately though they seem to be traveling between 60 and 70 on the interstates here. I wonder if it has anything to do with GPS tracking for company owned trucks or just the cost of fuel?

Jack
Different companies do different things. WM used to limit their trucks to 62mph, a couple of different drivers have told me their limits have been raised to 68mph, but if they get a speeding ticket they are toast. Knight Freight Lines used to be limited to 58 mph (one of the slowest in the country), but I think they have been upped now too. There was an article a while back in one of the trade magazines that had the information on most of the major trucking companies. I know at least two that train the drivers to drive slightly below what traffic is moving at to keep traffic moving away from them to reduce the chance of them plowing into someone.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Slower drivers in the right lane are not the problem... slow drivers that refuse to get out of the left lane are.

I am completely baffled by the mentality of people that think they can occupy the left lane for hours on end. I may be old school but I was taught that you move left to pass then back to the right. I have to drive I-95 between Philly, PA and Jacksonville, FL on a regular basis. It is very common to come up on someone riding the left lane at the posted speed limit or even below it, THAT is dangerous, it isn't very long before people start passing on the right and whipping in and out trying to get around the rolling road blocks. Unfortunately it seems to not be an issue to LEO.

I can see using 4-way flashers for a brief period of time if moving well below the posted speed limit while getting up to speed, or on steep grades. I use mine when traffic slows suddenly to warn vehicles behind me that speeds are reducing rapidly, once the vehicles behind me have obviously gotten the message I turn them off.

Aaron
Many states including Il. is illegal to occupy left lane use only to pass then return to rt. lane, these are drivers that cause problems slow drivers are unsafe what ever reason, if you do not care to drive speed limit get off roads... you are the ones that are unsafe drivers & cause accidents.......
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #45
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Many states including Il. is illegal to occupy left lane use only to pass then return to rt. lane, these are drivers that cause problems slow drivers are unsafe what ever reason, if you do not care to drive speed limit get off roads... you are the ones that are unsafe drivers & cause accidents.......
Got news for you... there are minimum posted speed limits on most roads so as long as you are traveling at or above that speed you are legal. And in ALL states the over taking vehicle has the burden to pass safely.

I would also suggest that you check traffic accident statistics, excessive speed for conditions contributes to more accidents than anything else.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Different companies do different things. WM used to limit their trucks to 62mph, a couple of different drivers have told me their limits have been raised to 68mph, but if they get a speeding ticket they are toast. Knight Freight Lines used to be limited to 58 mph (one of the slowest in the country), but I think they have been upped now too. There was an article a while back in one of the trade magazines that had the information on most of the major trucking companies. I know at least two that train the drivers to drive slightly below what traffic is moving at to keep traffic moving away from them to reduce the chance of them plowing into someone.

Aaron
JB Hunt, and Schneider trucks used to be, and as far as I know, still are limited to 62 mph. I know a guy who drives for JB Hunt, and he told me they are very strict, and watch them like a hawk via the qualcomm, and any violation of company rules is grounds for immediate termination. He said they do have a good safety record, company wide.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #47
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I often drop in at a safe distance behind a Schneider truck. They always dive safely and at a reasonable speed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I stand behind what I wrote as I have had dr. lic. 64 yrs. com. lic 63 yrs. involved w/safety on railroad for 40 yrs raced stocks, midgets, sprint cars motorcycles dirt, motocross, ice, reckless driving causes accidents... I have had 2 speeding tickets all these yrs. one was for 30 in 25 speed limit the other was to get away from unsafe driver. I do not poke around on roads, I would suggest that you check accidents stats.between trucks & 4 wheelers
Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The term "speed limit" implies to me that it is a "limit" for speed...an "upper limit" that is legal.

To say generally that driving below the speed limit is "unsafe" is problematic...or at least too non-specific to be useful in this thread. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean? How much below the speed limit do you find it "unsafe"

Also, here in Bama, the 70mph areas, many many folks do 75-82 or more and very often...going 70mph means many people pass you...I know, I travel 70mph often, sometimes 65 in my VW diesel to greatly improve gas mileage. Is going 65 and a 70 very unsafe because many have to pass me? If that is the case, then also 70 in these same conditions are on this logic nearly equally unsafe, because like I said, most are going at or above 75 mph...cops dont touch you down here till 8-10 over...really more like 12-13 over....

It seems also quite impractical to tell many folks that run tires with max rated speeds of 65 to do the speed limit no matter what...although I suppose they could get off the road.

But somehow, some of your logic does make since...thus my thread...my "gut" felt like at 55mph on a 70mph highway here in my area its just too slow...but from experience driving myself 60-65 is doable really...even passing some folks already in the right lane poking down the road (which I suppose if you think about it, the regularity of these driviers on the road makes just one more relative slow poke no difference effectively.

Thanks for all the info you all...very helpful.

I will add though that while we have NASCAR fans down here...they still drive I think closer to the posted speed limits than say on I95 between DC and Philly...marked 55 and folks doing 80 all the time....it seems they have NASCAR fans too

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
in the age of the internet, I suggest if folks are going to talk about stats and argue their points, it is much more effective to provide links for all to see and to properly educate and clarify...

Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
The term "speed limit" implies to me that it is a "limit" for speed...an "upper limit" that is legal.

To say generally that driving below the speed limit is "unsafe" is problematic...or at least too non-specific to be useful in this thread. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean? How much below the speed limit do you find it "unsafe"

Also, here in Bama, the 70mph areas, many many folks do 75-82 or more and very often...going 70mph means many people pass you...I know, I travel 70mph often, sometimes 65 in my VW diesel to greatly improve gas mileage. Is going 65 and a 70 very unsafe because many have to pass me? If that is the case, then also 70 in these same conditions are on this logic nearly equally unsafe, because like I said, most are going at or above 75 mph...cops dont touch you down here till 8-10 over...really more like 12-13 over....

It seems also quite impractical to tell many folks that run tires with max rated speeds of 65 to do the speed limit no matter what...although I suppose they could get off the road.

But somehow, some of your logic does make since...thus my thread...my "gut" felt like at 55mph on a 70mph highway here in my area its just too slow...but from experience driving myself 60-65 is doable really...even passing some folks already in the right lane poking down the road (which I suppose if you think about it, the regularity of these driviers on the road makes just one more relative slow poke no difference effectively.

Thanks for all the info you all...very helpful.

I will add though that while we have NASCAR fans down here...they still drive I think closer to the posted speed limits than say on I95 between DC and Philly...marked 55 and folks doing 80 all the time....it seems they have NASCAR fans too
I drive 5 to 8 over limit on interstates some think 45 in70 is safe wrong, many states have 70 or more go with the flow, 45 in left lane only means safety hazard. I stand by my safety record of yrs. of driving exp. The clowns that are left lane riders & the ones that pull into left lane long before they get up to me and I come upon slow driver I can not pass because of them takes fuel to get back up to speed these are unsafe drivers. Also forgot to mention also have com. pilot lic.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I stand behind what I wrote as I have had dr. lic. 64 yrs. com. lic 63 yrs. involved w/safety on railroad for 40 yrs raced stocks, midgets, sprint cars motorcycles dirt, motocross, ice, reckless driving causes accidents... I have had 2 speeding tickets all these yrs. one was for 30 in 25 speed limit the other was to get away from unsafe driver. I do not poke around on roads, I would suggest that you check accidents stats.between trucks & 4 wheelers
Also have com. pilots lic.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
featherbedder - I think 40-45 is at or below posted minimums on most interstates (I think most often it is 45....

It is obvious that at "some point" in "some scenarios" driving "significant slower" than "most" traffic will be hazardous....but to be clear, are you suggesting that towing 60mph in a posted 70mph limit interstate is "unsafe"

I see also that perhaps you are speaking only of folks going slower in the left lane and not people going slower than posted limit who keep right?

I am interested in your perspective and experience, but you will need to be a touch more clear...especially with me cause I can be a dullard and miss the point

Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I drive 5 to 8 over limit on interstates some think 45 in70 is safe wrong, many states have 70 or more go with the flow, 45 in left lane only means safety hazard. I stand by my safety record of yrs. of driving exp. The clowns that are left lane riders & the ones that pull into left lane long before they get up to me and I come upon slow driver I can not pass because of them takes fuel to get back up to speed these are unsafe drivers. Also forgot to mention also have com. pilot lic.
And we're not all 'professional' drivers, so let people drive at speeds they are comfortable with. No one here is suggesting that that slow drivers should occupy the left lane. You can stand by any record you want, but don't try to impose your driving style on others. So long as people are being safe and driving legally, within their abilities, you don't have much say. Nor should you.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It's interesting to Google 'impending the flow of traffic'

http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/Transpo.../Speed_Limits/

http://definitions.uslegal.com/i/impeding-traffic/

http://forums.officer.com/t30489/

Wow. Lots of passion on this subject
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #56
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
58-62, after that I do not feel I have enough control. I usually tuck in behind a truck in right lane and draft him along. Today I had a truck for over 4 hours, we waved goodby!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #57
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Also have com. pilots lic.
So what! I flew a supersonic fighter
and I still tow at 60-65.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
John,

Jack
It's all about saving fuel, all the big trucking companies are setting the governor at 60 or lower. I drive for a smaller company (100 trucks) and we used to have 70 as top speed then they knocked it back to 67. We do mostly local at our facility in KC so it don't make much difference.
Now the ones that will blow by you are the bull racks (cattle haulers), they are mostly owner/operators and there is no governor restriction on their trucks.
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
It's interesting to Google 'impending the flow of traffic'

City of Pasadena

Impeding Traffic Law & Legal Definition

Impeding the Flow of Traffic

Wow. Lots of passion on this subject
Indeed...

Problem comes to mind is a difficult issue of continuums...how many grains of sand does it take before those grains become a "pile of sand"?

Ie the "continuum fallacy"....often cited in discussions.

We are told to not exceed the legal speed limit...which implies that going slower than the speed limit is what is intended...but "too much below" and you are creating unsafe conditions.

""""That law states that “no person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with the law.” """" (from the first link you provided - this in CA i think)

So...how slow is too slow? I suspect trying to draw lines is a bit like trying to answer that question about grains of sand...its a bit futile but perhaps necessary...judgement I suppose comes to mind...

I suspect that 60-65mph will not be as contentious assuming you keep to the right....I think getting down to 55 in a 70 or 80mph hwy starts to get down though to a point where you may be just too slow on such fast interstates...perhaps 55 is doable, but not much slower IMO...

Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
featherbedder - I think 40-45 is at or below posted minimums on most interstates (I think most often it is 45....

It is obvious that at "some point" in "some scenarios" driving "significant slower" than "most" traffic will be hazardous....but to be clear, are you suggesting that towing 60mph in a posted 70mph limit interstate is "unsafe"

I see also that perhaps you are speaking only of folks going slower in the left lane and not people going slower than posted limit who keep right?

I am interested in your perspective and experience, but you will need to be a touch more clear...especially with me cause I can be a dullard and miss the point
I did not suggest 60 in 70 is unsafe left lane hogs are unsafe at any speed. As for my exp. I have close to 3 mil. miles driving exp. very good safety record as I have always practiced safety both with myself and with my co. now defunct and my employers, as I am close to 80 retired but not slow poke, not toddering and doddering as I still drive sprint cars, midgets, as a side note most people think I'm 60, no one has guessed my age past 65