Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
2nd hitch type in consideration, any feedback?

I'm not easily swayed by much, but I need some feedback as my attention has been turned.

My dealer (even though he doesn't carry Blue ox line) was asked about the Blue Ox I'm considering and I wanted to get their thoughts on the BXW 1000 vs 1003 as I was trying to find out if the hitch is truly underslung or not on the model I'm having built as there some says yes, others no...etc etc.

I agreed to field a call from the Airstream tech and is recommending a trekker hitch, specifically this one:

https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-pag...r-hitch-1000lb

The main thing that really turned my head to this is there is no chain counting, easy to put the bars in place, easy adjustment and dynamic sway control and disconnect on reverse.

While the Blue Ox can do all but the dynamic disconnect over 10 degrees, IMO the lack of chain counting and rolling cam is what I'm truly thinking is the game changer to switch to that brand.

They said it will be $700 ish including install labor .....done and done....I know I can buy it for around $470 ish.....add the labor and we're back to around $700.

My question to the group, does anyone have an opinion or experience with this hitch? I am really digging it, but want to see if there are any red flags or gotchas.

Sorry to continue to beat this to death, times getting short and I just want to be sure before I choose incorrectly.

Thank you,
Chris
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Don't know anything about that hitch, but it's setup looks similar to my Equalizer.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
That hitch is a clone of the Equl-i-zer hitch. Most AS dealers sell the EQ and the BO. Many recommend the EQ. Fastway also markets an alternative to the EQ.

The BO is superior except that the EQ type hitchs provide a bit more ground clearance and as you say, they are easier to hookup.

However, the EQ style hitch is too stiff for the AS. There is also a recent thread about hitch head weld failures and the Trecker looks to have a similar welded head configuration. If you decide to purchase the Trecker hitch, take driveways, speedbumps, chuckholes and similar transitions at slow speed and with care to reduce the stress on the TV receiver and tongue brackets.

Note, that the BO weight distribution change is just a different link in the chain and a bit of paint or tape eliminates the link counting. The EQ style hitch needs the head tilt or bar bracket adjusted to tune weight distribution and sway control.

If you want an alternate hitch, consider the Reese Centerline with Dual Cam sway control.

Keep up your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have never seen a Trekker so I can not compare it with the BO which I have been using for a couple of years and around 50K miles of towing. I am very pleased with the BO and their customer support. The link counting is very easy to resolve. I put a piece of duct tape on the link that goes into the bracket. No counting and a very simple setup.

Bottom line: Pick the hitch that will perform the best for you and provide a safe and comfortable towing experience.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #5

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
That hitch is a clone of the Equl-i-zer hitch. Most AS dealers sell the EQ and the BO. Many recommend the EQ. Fastway also markets an alternative to the EQ.

The BO is superior except that the EQ type hitchs provide a bit more ground clearance and as you say, they are easier to hookup.

However, the EQ style hitch is too stiff for the AS. There is also a recent thread about hitch head weld failures and the Trecker looks to have a similar welded head configuration. If you decide to purchase the Trecker hitch, take driveways, speedbumps, chuckholes and similar transitions at slow speed and with care to reduce the stress on the TV receiver and tongue brackets.

Note, that the BO weight distribution change is just a different link in the chain and a bit of paint or tape eliminates the link counting. The EQ style hitch needs the head tilt or bar bracket adjusted to tune weight distribution and sway control.

If you want an alternate hitch, consider the Reese Centerline with Dual Cam sway control.

Keep up your research. Pat

I was disappointed with the Reese dual cam, it always felt like it was “hunting “ it’s way down the road.
Your opinion may vary...
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
--snip -- it always felt like it was “hunting “ it’s way down the road. --snip --
Any idea why that might have been the case?
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Must be it needs readjusted, mine does not do that.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I too have been happy with my Reese Dual Cam on both a 20' and 25'.

As far as counting chain links, I put zip ties on the links I use so they're easy to pick out.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Burleson , Texas
Hitch I like...Pro Pride

I am pulling a 34' with a slide out using a heavy half ton Nissan. While it is maybe bigger than most half tons adding the Pro Pride Hitch has made it the best pulling combo I have ever had and that includes a lot of 1 ton setups.

Worth every penny.
kipziprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Have a look at the Husky Centreline. Very similar to Eq, but with a built in sway control. I have used for 5 years and am very pleased with it. Company is excellent to work with if you have any problems. Very easy hitch to set up, as well.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
meandher

2021 27' Globetrotter
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I'm not easily swayed by much, but I need some feedback as my attention has been turned.

My dealer (even though he doesn't carry Blue ox line) was asked about the Blue Ox I'm considering and I wanted to get their thoughts on the BXW 1000 vs 1003 as I was trying to find out if the hitch is truly underslung or not on the model I'm having built as there some says yes, others no...etc etc.

I agreed to field a call from the Airstream tech and is recommending a trekker hitch, specifically this one:

The main thing that really turned my head to this is there is no chain counting, easy to put the bars in place, easy adjustment and dynamic sway control and disconnect on reverse.

While the Blue Ox can do all but the dynamic disconnect over 10 degrees, IMO the lack of chain counting and rolling cam is what I'm truly thinking is the game changer to switch to that brand.

They said it will be $700 ish including install labor .....done and done....I know I can buy it for around $470 ish.....add the labor and we're back to around $700.

My question to the group, does anyone have an opinion or experience with this hitch? I am really digging it, but want to see if there are any red flags or gotchas.

Sorry to continue to beat this to death, times getting short and I just want to be sure before I choose incorrectly.

Thank you,
Chris

I don't hear anybody talking about the Anderson I do understand there is a boycott going on, but I still believe their product is good
and lighter and easier to set up ,which is important at my age
anybody has one ( bought before the sacrilege?
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Boycott Shmoycott. I have an Anderson Hitch and don't like it, it has little to no WD. It is very good for sway control. I have Anderson Levelers, love them. They made a goofy blunder by scratching their initials on a rock. They shouldn't have done that but what's done is done. My $0.02.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docv View Post
I don't hear anybody talking about the Anderson I do understand there is a boycott going on, but I still believe their product is good
and lighter and easier to set up ,which is important at my age
anybody has one ( bought before the sacrilege?
I have one I am not using and happy to sell it to you ($250 plus shipping). It does have the 3” size receiver (fits F250 with trailer package).
M
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Size...🤔

Thirteen posts and no mention of what trailer we are supposed to advise on.🤓
16 to 33' Size would make a difference...😘

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Thirteen posts and no mention of what trailer we are supposed to advise on.🤓
16 to 33' Size would make a difference...😘

Bob
🇺🇸
Applogies for that, it was stated in my other thread.

I am building a 25rbq 2019 and taking delivery Mid March.

Pulling with a Yukon XL 2016.
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
There are only two types of hitches.

One style allows the trailer to pivot on the hitch ball and puts some kind of counteracting friction on controlling the rotational forces on the ball.

One style does not allow the trailer to pivot on the hitch ball and projects the effective pivot point to near the rear axle of your tow vehicle.

All the rest of the information is words for branding (e.g. dynamic sway control).
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post

Thank you,
Chris
After trying 2 different hitches I finally stumbled on the Blue Ox. Its a great hitch and couldn't be happier with it. It is easy to set up and found the WD aspect of it the best out of the three. No sway whatsoever.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
👍

... The EZ you referenced in P#1 looks like it's spec't right.
Not many performance evaluations available but you've got time, use it and research what you need.
I'm a pivot point user, with Reese WD experience.
The only brand I would ignore, Andersen.
Poor WD for your size AS and an owner with little respect for our recreation areas. 🥵

My best advise...don't rush your decision.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
The Blue Ox takes about an hour to install. Instructions are easy to follow. Save the money for a great night out and install it yourself.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
kittmaster - here's my experience for what it's worth: I was outfitted with an Equalizer as part of the purchase price of my AS. It fell apart as I was crossing country to attend Salem rally last summer. The Blue Ox vendor at the rally sold me a BO product which they finally installed late on the last day of the rally. Control was much better but the BO was very difficult at times to hitch and unhitch and the latch wheels felt (to me) were counterintuitive at times. I actually stopped at Pender, NE on way home (where their corporate office is) and a BO technician recommended different link placement. I don't think it made a bit of difference but I'd had enough. In November, I towed my AS to Jackson Center for repairs and warranty work, came back 3 weeks later to pick it up and about 20 miles from the factory, realized I'd forgotten my BO hitch. The factory sold me a Reese, said that is all they use because they're so reliable. Technician rode in truck with me to check out the ride, noted a couple of things, made adjustment and humored me by watching me unhitch and hitch it. I am ecstatic with this hitch, so much easier to get on and get off compared to BO. I've ordered the sway control option for the Reese. This combo emulates what I had on my first AS and it always pulled like a dream.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote