Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 569
2nd hitch type in consideration, any feedback?

I'm not easily swayed by much, but I need some feedback as my attention has been turned.

My dealer (even though he doesn't carry Blue ox line) was asked about the Blue Ox I'm considering and I wanted to get their thoughts on the BXW 1000 vs 1003 as I was trying to find out if the hitch is truly underslung or not on the model I'm having built as there some says yes, others no...etc etc.

I agreed to field a call from the Airstream tech and is recommending a trekker hitch, specifically this one:

https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-pag...r-hitch-1000lb

The main thing that really turned my head to this is there is no chain counting, easy to put the bars in place, easy adjustment and dynamic sway control and disconnect on reverse.

While the Blue Ox can do all but the dynamic disconnect over 10 degrees, IMO the lack of chain counting and rolling cam is what I'm truly thinking is the game changer to switch to that brand.

They said it will be $700 ish including install labor .....done and done....I know I can buy it for around $470 ish.....add the labor and we're back to around $700.

My question to the group, does anyone have an opinion or experience with this hitch? I am really digging it, but want to see if there are any red flags or gotchas.

Sorry to continue to beat this to death, times getting short and I just want to be sure before I choose incorrectly.

Thank you,
Chris
__________________

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 531
Don't know anything about that hitch, but it's setup looks similar to my Equalizer.
__________________

majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,839
That hitch is a clone of the Equl-i-zer hitch. Most AS dealers sell the EQ and the BO. Many recommend the EQ. Fastway also markets an alternative to the EQ.

The BO is superior except that the EQ type hitchs provide a bit more ground clearance and as you say, they are easier to hookup.

However, the EQ style hitch is too stiff for the AS. There is also a recent thread about hitch head weld failures and the Trecker looks to have a similar welded head configuration. If you decide to purchase the Trecker hitch, take driveways, speedbumps, chuckholes and similar transitions at slow speed and with care to reduce the stress on the TV receiver and tongue brackets.

Note, that the BO weight distribution change is just a different link in the chain and a bit of paint or tape eliminates the link counting. The EQ style hitch needs the head tilt or bar bracket adjusted to tune weight distribution and sway control.

If you want an alternate hitch, consider the Reese Centerline with Dual Cam sway control.

Keep up your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar

 
2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,818
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
I have never seen a Trekker so I can not compare it with the BO which I have been using for a couple of years and around 50K miles of towing. I am very pleased with the BO and their customer support. The link counting is very easy to resolve. I put a piece of duct tape on the link that goes into the bracket. No counting and a very simple setup.

Bottom line: Pick the hitch that will perform the best for you and provide a safe and comfortable towing experience.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
sheriff1's Avatar
 
2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
That hitch is a clone of the Equl-i-zer hitch. Most AS dealers sell the EQ and the BO. Many recommend the EQ. Fastway also markets an alternative to the EQ.



The BO is superior except that the EQ type hitchs provide a bit more ground clearance and as you say, they are easier to hookup.



However, the EQ style hitch is too stiff for the AS. There is also a recent thread about hitch head weld failures and the Trecker looks to have a similar welded head configuration. If you decide to purchase the Trecker hitch, take driveways, speedbumps, chuckholes and similar transitions at slow speed and with care to reduce the stress on the TV receiver and tongue brackets.



Note, that the BO weight distribution change is just a different link in the chain and a bit of paint or tape eliminates the link counting. The EQ style hitch needs the head tilt or bar bracket adjusted to tune weight distribution and sway control.



If you want an alternate hitch, consider the Reese Centerline with Dual Cam sway control.



Keep up your research. Pat


I was disappointed with the Reese dual cam, it always felt like it was “hunting “ it’s way down the road.
Your opinion may vary...
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
--snip -- it always felt like it was “hunting “ it’s way down the road. --snip --
Any idea why that might have been the case?
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,429
Must be it needs readjusted, mine does not do that.
__________________
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,729
Images: 21
I too have been happy with my Reese Dual Cam on both a 20' and 25'.

As far as counting chain links, I put zip ties on the links I use so they're easy to pick out.
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
2001 34' Limited S/O
Burleson , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Hitch I like...Pro Pride

I am pulling a 34' with a slide out using a heavy half ton Nissan. While it is maybe bigger than most half tons adding the Pro Pride Hitch has made it the best pulling combo I have ever had and that includes a lot of 1 ton setups.

Worth every penny.
kipziprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
CBWELL's Avatar
 
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 692
Have a look at the Husky Centreline. Very similar to Eq, but with a built in sway control. I have used for 5 years and am very pleased with it. Company is excellent to work with if you have any problems. Very easy hitch to set up, as well.
__________________
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
meandher
 
2019 30' Classic
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I'm not easily swayed by much, but I need some feedback as my attention has been turned.

My dealer (even though he doesn't carry Blue ox line) was asked about the Blue Ox I'm considering and I wanted to get their thoughts on the BXW 1000 vs 1003 as I was trying to find out if the hitch is truly underslung or not on the model I'm having built as there some says yes, others no...etc etc.

I agreed to field a call from the Airstream tech and is recommending a trekker hitch, specifically this one:

https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-pag...r-hitch-1000lb

The main thing that really turned my head to this is there is no chain counting, easy to put the bars in place, easy adjustment and dynamic sway control and disconnect on reverse.

While the Blue Ox can do all but the dynamic disconnect over 10 degrees, IMO the lack of chain counting and rolling cam is what I'm truly thinking is the game changer to switch to that brand.

They said it will be $700 ish including install labor .....done and done....I know I can buy it for around $470 ish.....add the labor and we're back to around $700.

My question to the group, does anyone have an opinion or experience with this hitch? I am really digging it, but want to see if there are any red flags or gotchas.

Sorry to continue to beat this to death, times getting short and I just want to be sure before I choose incorrectly.

Thank you,
Chris


I don't hear anybody talking about the Anderson I do understand there is a boycott going on, but I still believe their product is good
and lighter and easier to set up ,which is important at my age
anybody has one ( bought before the sacrilege?
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
WBCCI # 23456
 
2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 324
Boycott Shmoycott. I have an Anderson Hitch and don't like it, it has little to no WD. It is very good for sway control. I have Anderson Levelers, love them. They made a goofy blunder by scratching their initials on a rock. They shouldn't have done that but what's done is done. My $0.02.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docv View Post
I don't hear anybody talking about the Anderson I do understand there is a boycott going on, but I still believe their product is good
and lighter and easier to set up ,which is important at my age
anybody has one ( bought before the sacrilege?
I have one I am not using and happy to sell it to you ($250 plus shipping). It does have the 3” size receiver (fits F250 with trailer package).
M
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,202
Images: 1
Size...🤔

Thirteen posts and no mention of what trailer we are supposed to advise on.🤓
16 to 33' Size would make a difference...😘

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Thirteen posts and no mention of what trailer we are supposed to advise on.🤓
16 to 33' Size would make a difference...😘

Bob
🇺🇸
Applogies for that, it was stated in my other thread.

I am building a 25rbq 2019 and taking delivery Mid March.

Pulling with a Yukon XL 2016.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member
 
Sean Woodruff's Avatar
 
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 636
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
There are only two types of hitches.

One style allows the trailer to pivot on the hitch ball and puts some kind of counteracting friction on controlling the rotational forces on the ball.

One style does not allow the trailer to pivot on the hitch ball and projects the effective pivot point to near the rear axle of your tow vehicle.

All the rest of the information is words for branding (e.g. dynamic sway control).
__________________
ProPride Hitch
"The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination"
Grand Blanc, MI
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I'm not easily swayed by much, but I need some feedback as my attention has been turned.

My dealer (even though he doesn't carry Blue ox line) was asked about the Blue Ox I'm considering and I wanted to get their thoughts on the BXW 1000 vs 1003 as I was trying to find out if the hitch is truly underslung or not on the model I'm having built as there some says yes, others no...etc etc.

I agreed to field a call from the Airstream tech and is recommending a trekker hitch, specifically this one:

https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-pag...r-hitch-1000lb

The main thing that really turned my head to this is there is no chain counting, easy to put the bars in place, easy adjustment and dynamic sway control and disconnect on reverse.

While the Blue Ox can do all but the dynamic disconnect over 10 degrees, IMO the lack of chain counting and rolling cam is what I'm truly thinking is the game changer to switch to that brand.

They said it will be $700 ish including install labor .....done and done....I know I can buy it for around $470 ish.....add the labor and we're back to around $700.

My question to the group, does anyone have an opinion or experience with this hitch? I am really digging it, but want to see if there are any red flags or gotchas.

Sorry to continue to beat this to death, times getting short and I just want to be sure before I choose incorrectly.

Thank you,
Chris
After trying 2 different hitches I finally stumbled on the Blue Ox. Its a great hitch and couldn't be happier with it. It is easy to set up and found the WD aspect of it the best out of the three. No sway whatsoever.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,202
Images: 1
👍

... The EZ you referenced in P#1 looks like it's spec't right.
Not many performance evaluations available but you've got time, use it and research what you need.
I'm a pivot point user, with Reese WD experience.
The only brand I would ignore, Andersen.
Poor WD for your size AS and an owner with little respect for our recreation areas. 🥵

My best advise...don't rush your decision.

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
Tifton , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 78
The Blue Ox takes about an hour to install. Instructions are easy to follow. Save the money for a great night out and install it yourself.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 586
Blog Entries: 1
kittmaster - here's my experience for what it's worth: I was outfitted with an Equalizer as part of the purchase price of my AS. It fell apart as I was crossing country to attend Salem rally last summer. The Blue Ox vendor at the rally sold me a BO product which they finally installed late on the last day of the rally. Control was much better but the BO was very difficult at times to hitch and unhitch and the latch wheels felt (to me) were counterintuitive at times. I actually stopped at Pender, NE on way home (where their corporate office is) and a BO technician recommended different link placement. I don't think it made a bit of difference but I'd had enough. In November, I towed my AS to Jackson Center for repairs and warranty work, came back 3 weeks later to pick it up and about 20 miles from the factory, realized I'd forgotten my BO hitch. The factory sold me a Reese, said that is all they use because they're so reliable. Technician rode in truck with me to check out the ride, noted a couple of things, made adjustment and humored me by watching me unhitch and hitch it. I am ecstatic with this hitch, so much easier to get on and get off compared to BO. I've ordered the sway control option for the Reese. This combo emulates what I had on my first AS and it always pulled like a dream.
__________________

PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd a/c failed for 2nd time Bgibbs Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 15 01-02-2019 05:23 PM
Type 3 Glass Bar in a Type 2 Hinge rasmuw Windows & Screens 0 12-09-2013 10:18 PM
Under Consideration: 1970 Sovereign Int'l carolynhazel Trailer Values 19 04-01-2012 10:01 PM
What Type of Restoration is Your Type? ankornuta General Repair Forum 16 11-21-2005 04:13 PM
Tow bar receiver type or ball type? Astrodokk Airstream Motorhome Forums 2 06-09-2004 07:20 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.