Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Boycott Shmoycott. I have an Anderson Hitch and don't like it, it has little to no WD. It is very good for sway control. I have Anderson Levelers, love them. They made a goofy blunder by scratching their initials on a rock. They shouldn't have done that but what's done is done. My $0.02.
Anderson was the second hitch I experimented with.
Did everything including changing out the coupler as advise by the factory.
It has ZERO sway control and the WD aspect is very difficult to utilize effectively. The factory was zero help.
I finally threw in the towel following a white knuckle drive out west on I-80 and I-76 with heavy truck traffic and steady side winds.
On a 30' Airstream with 1000# tongue weight it is useless.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I used my Hensley Arrow (before ProPride which is second generation Hensley design) on our 2013 25FB International Serenity. Towed with a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI v6 turbo diesel. We upgraded to a 2012 Cummins 2500HD Cummins 4x4 for better towing.

I kept the Hensley when we traded the 25FB in our 2014 31' Classic. I installed the ProPride on the Classic and tow with the 2012 Ram.

When we added the 2015 23D International Serenity to our collection, I reused the Hensley on the 23D and the 2007 Mercedes as tow vehicle. This is a better towing fit for that vehicle.

I prefer this design to the others. One does not need to lift the rear end of the tow vehicle in the air with trailer attached to connect the chains like on the Blue Ox. There have been reports of broken arms releasing the chain tension is not released correctly.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

I prefer this design to the others. One does not need to lift the rear end of the tow vehicle in the air with trailer attached to connect the chains like on the Blue Ox. There have been reports of broken arms releasing the chain tension is not released correctly.
^
Be careful 👍

Pre HaHa, with the Reese, I always raised the tongue until the chains were loose before releasing them, one very close call woke me up.😂
Raising to install is also a lot easier.😘

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
ProPride hitch systems have steel bars connecting the WD bar ends to the manually operated (ratchet wrench) jack that tensions the WD bars--operated with a wrench. Their alternate method is a strap with a winch mechanism that is just as easy to adjust. I still raise the truck and trailer tongue with the tongue jack to make it easier.

The only thing that saved me from grievous damage on the Husky brand hitch with the over-center latches and chains was the fact that I instinctively stood outside the arc of the too-short lever used to tension the WD bars. I only slipped once...and the bar missed me by fractions of an inch. I gave that POS away the first chance I got after I installed the ProPride.

The next update for the ProPride is a set of power-operated WD jacks--from the Department of Overkill Engineering, of course. Just push a button, or let the computer tune the ride, eventually...no more wrench cranking, either!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
I've towed with the Trekker for about five years, so can give you some direct impressions.

First, it's at least twice as quick to hook up as my old Reese twin cam outfit. No counting links, it's the same every time.

Second, I like the ability to crank in the amount of sway control you want. If you're driving in slick conditions, then you want less. Windy (where I live), more.

Third, it's a quiet hitch. No banging or complaining from it when you reverse into a site, or take a sharp turn.

One side benefit: they're not that common, so it makes stealing the Airstream less attractive.

Any questions, would be glad to answer for you.

SG
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Call Blue Ox. I've found their customer service to be excellent and more than willing to answer questions. I've had them tell me once a different hitch might be better for situation I was asking about. They will be able to either to answer your questions or point to web pages with the information that might help.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
I've towed with the Trekker for about five years, so can give you some direct impressions.

First, it's at least twice as quick to hook up as my old Reese twin cam outfit. No counting links, it's the same every time.

Second, I like the ability to crank in the amount of sway control you want. If you're driving in slick conditions, then you want less. Windy (where I live), more.

Third, it's a quiet hitch. No banging or complaining from it when you reverse into a site, or take a sharp turn.

One side benefit: they're not that common, so it makes stealing the Airstream less attractive.

Any questions, would be glad to answer for you.

SG
Thank you for this info. We have already agreed to use this hitch and give it a go. It seems like a good fit, if I decide to shift, I'll take another look at the BO.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
I might also like to add: I contacted them about spare pin and keeper parts, since these seem to be a bit rare. They sent me an entire set, for free. Now THAT'S Customer Service.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I have a Blue Ox. I didn't know chain link counting was a problem. The cams are easy to work. I did loose the factory wrench but I have a real wrench. Don't have a clue what drop down you are talking about but mine has configured to each of three different trucks so far.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote