Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
23 FB weighting

This is a cross post. Sorry. Not sure yet if the 23FB forum gets much traffic.

Havenít picked up our 23FB yet. Moving up from 16 sport. The manual says not to travel with the fresh tank low and the waste tanks heavy. How do I get to the dump site then? Apologies again for the xpost.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A speed reduction improves stability, but you will likely offset any issue with your gear load out. It's a challenge to keep the tongue weight at less than 600. Does pay to keep the rear light when you can.

Post in the 23 thread for best 23 specific results. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
A speed reduction improves stability, but you will likely offset any issue with your gear load out. It's a challenge to keep the tongue weight at less than 600. Does pay to keep the rear light when you can.

Post in the 23 thread for best 23 specific results. Pat
Do you mean in the trailer or the TV? Does all the crap in the TV help?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I went from 23FB to 23d (corner bed). Fresh water is a little more forward on 23FB, so I could see the argument. But most models have black and grey tanks in back, fresh further up near the axles. I often traveled with full black and grey and nearly empty fresh because I dry camped a lot and dump when I get home. Never gave it a second thought nor noticed any negative effects on towing.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I went from 23FB to 23d (corner bed). Fresh water is a little more forward on 23FB, so I could see the argument. But most models have black and grey tanks in back, fresh further up near the axles. I often traveled with full black and grey and nearly empty fresh because I dry camped a lot and dump when I get home. Never gave it a second thought nor noticed any negative effects on towing.
If itís anything like my time in the corporate world, maybe lawyers wrote the manual. Worst case, no load in the back of the TV, no WD hitch?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Do you mean in the trailer or the TV? Does all the crap in the TV help?
Comments were in reference to the trailer load out.

"Does all the gear in the TV help" ? If you need a lot of gear in the TV to balance it for stability, that helps. It is unlikely that moving gear from the trailer to the tow vehicle to offset a full black tank and an empty fresh tank is necessary. The reverse is more viable.

A full black (18G) and grey (30) is 400 lbs. A full fresh (39) is 325 lbs. If you are loaded with an extra 400 lbs in the rear, slow down and go to the dump station. No value in hauling hazardous waste.

Note-I have not seen that warning. It is a bit of odd direction as it develops the question you ask. Hard to dry camp without using your tanks. Folks do say to travel with either full or empty tanks so that fluid sloshing back and forth in a tank does not damage the tank or cause instability. We'd rather travel with empty tanks and generally do. The 23 does tow better with full fresh tank. Weight is in just the right place for stability.

Your objective is to load out the rig (TV&coach) for best stability. The rear of both vehicles should be as light as possible. The coach tongue weight should be between 10&15% of the total coach weight. The axle weight maximums of TV & coach should not be exceeded. Weigh your rig when you get it. Keep records. Make small changes and test to determine best results. Pat

Edit add - Worst case, no load in the back of the TV, no WD hitch? That would be worst case. Don't go there. Balance the rig. And use weight distribution and sway control to help achieve rig balance and stability.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Agree. it an be 50 miles or so to a dump. But we never exceed 60 and have a 6000 lb TV with equalizer, so I'd like to think a careful 50 miles does the job
Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Edit add - Worst case, no load in the back of the TV, no WD hitch? That would be worst case. Don't go there. Balance the rig. And use weight distribution and sway control to help achieve rig balance and stability.
I don't think he was suggesting he'd do this. Just making a point that the lawyers maybe came up with that warning, trying to imagine the worst case scenario of full waste tanks, empty fresh, no w/d and no sway control...

Like I said, I traveled with full waste tanks and empty fresh with my 23 FB and also now with my 23d like that all the time. Have noticed no negative trailer behavior on tow.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
-- snip --most models have black and grey tanks in back, fresh further up near the axles.
PC - where is the fresh water tank on the CB? Someone suggested it was behind the axles and that seemed unlikely. Pat
Old 07-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I don't think he was suggesting he'd do this. Just making a point that the lawyers maybe came up with that warning, trying to imagine the worst case scenario of full waste tanks, empty fresh, no w/d and no sway control...

Like I said, I traveled with full waste tanks and empty fresh with my 23 FB and also now with my 23d like that all the time. Have noticed no negative trailer behavior on tow.
Correct sir
Old 07-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
-- snip -- a careful 50 miles does the job

It will. . Pat
Old 07-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
PC - where is the fresh water tank on the CB? Someone suggested it was behind the axles and that seemed unlikely. Pat
It is above the axles, maybe slightly favoring forward just a little if I recall. Definitely not behind axles.