Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
The hybrid engine comes with a large rechargeable battery pack. The 7200 watt inverter runs off of this battery pack, not directly off of your engine. When the voltage of the battery pack drops down below a preset level, the truck automatically restarts the engine to recharge the battery pack. All of this is automatic, and on the Ford forums where owners have been discussing this, the conclusion is there are no restrictions or limitations on use - you can let it cycle until your 30 gallon fuel tank runs dry.

What's also kind of cool is that the inverter of course also is active while driving and towing. So you can keep your Airstream plugged into the equivalent of shore power while you are towing it to your destination, as long as you already have or can add a plug in the front of your Airstream. No more controversy about leaving the refrigerator on while towing! The Ford marketing literature even talks about running a slow cooker in the RV while towing to your campsite, but I think I'm more likely to turn the air conditioner on when towing to a hot campsite.

At least in the current version of the Ford software, you don't have much control over how the system operates - for instance I can imagine it would be very useful to have a setting that automatically brought the battery to 100% charge to coincide with the end of generator allowed hours at your campsite, or it would be useful to tell it to let the battery run down to its minimum safe point until you are allowed to turn the engine back on again in the morning. I'm sure they will get this kind of feedback and it's for sure something they could do in a software update if enough people ask for it.

I also think this feature will require campsites to update their generator rules. Many don't allow vehicles to idle while camped, but they do allow gen sets to run during generator hours. They are clearly going to need a new rule for when the gen set is the tow vehicle, and I'm pretty sure that the truck is going to be a lot quieter than a loud rattly generator...
That’s pretty cool. I guess Ford has it figured out.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Excited to see pics once arrive - so nice to be able to plug into the truck vice carrying a generator in the bed for remote power when boondocking!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Following is a you tube link showing the weight figures fore a loaded 2021 hybrid XLT; 1546 lbs payload; https://youtu.be/tFh3MiOu_WI
I ordered a hybrid King Ranch with similar options but leaving off the 64 pound moon roof and 33 pound penalty for 20 inch wheels. +/- a few other options and I anticipate 1598 payload for my hybrid.
Going from 3.5 L Ecoboost to the Hybrid cost me 270 pounds payload; but I am accepting that for fuel mileage and having a very quiet built in 30 amp 220V generator.
TKerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Is the discussion on battery size for the 7.2kw or 2.4kw version? Just as a point of discussion, last year I attended a Ford Sponsored ride and drive event for the 2020 Escape. They had a display showing the 3 generations of hybrid technology that Ford has used in Escapes. From gen 1 to gen 3, the battery pack had been reduced to about 25% of the original size and weight. So, I'm wondering if the two power option have different battery packs and how that would impact cargo weight.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #25
phjimfitz

2015 23' International
West Chester , Pennsylvania
2021 F150 owners thread

I too am researching and about to order a 2021 F150. Regarding the heavy duty payload package - It is only available on XL and XLT trim vehicles (301a mid level option package). It cannot be ordered on and XLT 302a high trim option or any trim level above XLT (not on Lariat, King Ranch or Limited). I have asked numerous Ford dealers why this limitation exists and have yet to receive any answer. The pricing info contained on this forum is very helpful. For those who have researched or purchased a new F150 I have a question about the spare tire. The max tow package automatically upgrades the tires from 18" to 20" at a $1395 MSRP price jump ($1270 invoice). The price jump from 18" wheels and tires to 20' wheels and tires cannot possibly cost anywhere near what they are charging. More importantly, although the max tow package truck will be equipped with 20' wheels and tires, the spare tire is also 18". This would seem a problem in the event of a flat. I don't want to roll down the road towing my trailer with unmatched tires. Does anyone know more about the spare tire quandary than I have been able to find thus far? Also, must one have a Costco membership for any length of time prior to ordering a Ford truck? I have a BJ's membership but getting $1000 below invoice would be worth the Costco membership price. I have not been able to get a dealer to talk about sub-invoice pricing yet. Thanks

Jim
Phjimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Is the discussion on battery size for the 7.2kw or 2.4kw version? Just as a point of discussion, last year I attended a Ford Sponsored ride and drive event for the 2020 Escape. They had a display showing the 3 generations of hybrid technology that Ford has used in Escapes. From gen 1 to gen 3, the battery pack had been reduced to about 25% of the original size and weight. So, I'm wondering if the two power option have different battery packs and how that would impact cargo weight.
Battery size is the same once Hybrid option is selected. The 7.2 kw option uses a larger inverter; added weight unknown
Old 01-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phjimfitz View Post
I too am researching and about to order a 2021 F150. Regarding the heavy duty payload package - It is only available on XL and XLT trim vehicles (301a mid level option package). It cannot be ordered on and XLT 302a high trim option or any trim level above XLT (not on Lariat, King Ranch or Limited). I have asked numerous Ford dealers why this limitation exists and have yet to receive any answer. The pricing info contained on this forum is very helpful. For those who have researched or purchased a new F150 I have a question about the spare tire. The max tow package automatically upgrades the tires from 18" to 20" at a $1395 MSRP price jump ($1270 invoice). The price jump from 18" wheels and tires to 20' wheels and tires cannot possibly cost anywhere near what they are charging. More importantly, although the max tow package truck will be equipped with 20' wheels and tires, the spare tire is also 18". This would seem a problem in the event of a flat. I don't want to roll down the road towing my trailer with unmatched tires. Does anyone know more about the spare tire quandary than I have been able to find thus far? Also, must one have a Costco membership for any length of time prior to ordering a Ford truck? I have a BJ's membership but getting $1000 below invoice would be worth the Costco membership price. I have not been able to get a dealer to talk about sub-invoice pricing yet. Thanks

Jim
My King Ranch max tow is on 18” wheels; 20” is not required for max tow. 20” comes with some high trim options. When ordering 20” wheels, the spare is an 18” wheel with a higher aspect ratio tire for same rolling radius, no problem.

Max tow includes a heavy duty axle housing, stiffer springs front and back, larger rear rear brakes, and heavier bumper / hitch / tow chain attach structures. There may be other changes I do not know about....
It would be nice if the websites and dealers had more of this information!
Old 01-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Has anyone gotten some hard pricing figures on these new 2021 models?(aside from MSRP from the website)
with the generator, Max tow, etc?
Reason for asking is that a loaded , equipped for towing 2020 model was getting pretty darn close to F-250 territory.(gas) We all know that new model year design changes and fancy add-ons like generators will add to cost. If an F-150 is what one really wants I guess that's fine and I support that. But payload does seem like its still a concern with some folks and their individual needs.
just wondering would their be that much difference in price between the 150 with all the bling and a 250 with a Honda 2200I thrown in the back?( or a couple of Honda's). I think you may even be getting close to F250 w/ diesel price range now , in comparing the new 21's Anyway - to each his own. Just a thought.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #29

2021 23' Globetrotter
Reno , Nevada
I have a '21 Lariat ,moonroof, max trailer,FX4,20"wheels.....Payload is 1413 with a tongue weight of 750 so I have 663 payload left. MSRP was 66.6K Pulls my GT23' like a dream
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7R403434.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	387337  
AiRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #30

Medford , barrynealis@gmail.com
2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive?

Hello,

Total newbie here. I've been reading some of the posts for a while now, but just joined the forum today. We are getting close to a decision on an AS. We also need a tow vehicle. After exhausting various options with SUVs, we've decided that a truck is really the best option. Most likely going with an F-150 XLT or possibly Lariat.

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are concerning 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive with respect to towing. I have no interest in going off road. It does snow here occasionally and when it does the roads are clear in a day or 2. Basically, I don't need to drive in the snow. I used to tow a boat and understand the advantage of 4 WD on a slippery boat ramp.

As far as towing an AS on the road, is there any advantage/reason to consider 4 WD? Wet weather?

I did do a search for this subject and couldn't find anything. If there is an existing thread, please point me to it.

Thank you for any input or advice you can offer!
BarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN View Post
Hello,

Total newbie here. I've been reading some of the posts for a while now, but just joined the forum today. We are getting close to a decision on an AS. We also need a tow vehicle. After exhausting various options with SUVs, we've decided that a truck is really the best option. Most likely going with an F-150 XLT or possibly Lariat.

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are concerning 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive with respect to towing. I have no interest in going off road. It does snow here occasionally and when it does the roads are clear in a day or 2. Basically, I don't need to drive in the snow. I used to tow a boat and understand the advantage of 4 WD on a slippery boat ramp.

As far as towing an AS on the road, is there any advantage/reason to consider 4 WD? Wet weather?

I did do a search for this subject and couldn't find anything. If there is an existing thread, please point me to it.

Good move going to truck over a SUV.
Not letting your trailer drive your tow vehicle is the desired effect.4 wheel capability comes in handy if you anticipate that need when trailering.
Many people don't understand the importance of longer wheelbase+ a real tow vehicle, for towing safety.
Not something that is near or exceeding its towing capability.
This will make me additional new friends here, but a SUV is basically for towing utility trailers, like it's middle initial implies.
Little boat trailers.Little lawn trailers, maybe with a riding mower and a couple weedwackers/ full gas cans lol
Maybe even a Teardrop trailer or a little Airstream baby Bambi / BaseCamp type trailer thingy.
It's like if you need a WD (Weight Distribution) hitch, what you really need is a bigger, not underpowered tow vehicle.
It just is what it is...
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Hello,

Even if you are not going off road, 4WD is still very handy when you need it. Its better to have when needed than to need and not have. I spin on wet grass backing my trailer up in my yard in 2wd. Switch to 4WD and no issue.
4WD is not much of an adder these days when you are already spending tens of thousands for a new truck. Plus really helps on resale or trade value.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Hello,

Hi Barry and welcome

For sure 4WD.

A time will come when you need the extra traction of all four wheels pulling, and having 4WD will be the difference between being stuck and being able to keep on trucking...

Plus I agree with the prior poster that especially in the higher trims and in vehicles built for towing, four-wheel drive will improve your resale value...
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #34
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Hello,

First things first...welcome! It's great to have you are part of the forum.

4X4 is the sort of thing that you don't need until you really need it. I've had several situations where I could not back into a site without 4WD. I've been camping in a grass field and it rained making 4WD necessary. So it depends on how much insurance you want. And like was said it will definitely increase resale value.

But it costs more initially and a bit more in MPG. It also decreases your payload a few hundred pounds.

So only you can decide which is more important. I contemplated the same decision and I went with 4WD with no regrets.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Regarding the heavy duty payload package - It is only available on XL and XLT trim vehicles (301a mid level option package). It cannot be ordered on and XLT 302a high trim option or any trim level above XLT (not on Lariat, King Ranch or Limited). I have asked numerous Ford dealers why this limitation exists and have yet to receive any answer.
Jim,

All of the features that are added on to higher trim levels end up adding weight to the vehicle, thus leading to a lower payload. Add a sunroof, you lose a hundred pounds of payload, etc. That's why they start w/ a lower-optioned version to build a larger payload version. If you start w/ one that has all the bells and whistles, it's already eaten into the payload enough that the end-result numbers aren't as impressive.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #36

Medford , barrynealis@gmail.com
"Thank you" to all of you for your replies! All good info.
BarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #37
phjimfitz

2015 23' International
West Chester , Pennsylvania
I do not like to confuse things but I am confused. I understand that the more one adds to a truck, the lower the payload will be. I know that maximum GVWR is the highest allowable weight of a loaded truck. I also know that by definition, the payload is the GVWR less the curb weight. The curb weight is the vehicle plus all fluids, full gas tank and no passengers or cargo. I was led to believe that Ford may use frames of differing thicknesses (at least at certain stress points) depending on the body length and trim level. (I was ridiculed for sharing that info from a Ford forum but I am now emotionally recovered.) I believe that Ford uses the same frame for every trim level with the only variation due to wheelbase. So riddle me this, why does a Crew Cab Lariat 157 wheelbase reflect a maximum GVWR of 7150 lbs while a Crew Cab Platinum 157 wheelbase reflects a maximum GVWR of 7350. Other builds show maximum GVWR of 7050 and the Heavy Duty Payload Package is 7850 lbs. Would not the same frame have the same potential load rating for a given length regardless of trim level? As if this is not enough of mess, here's a real discussion buster - My local dealer claims to have spoken with a Ford engineer about the payload sticker on the door. According to what I was told, that is not an indication of the actual payload allowed for the truck as defined above but rather an estimation made available to those who might intend to put a commercial body on the frame of that existing truck. Like you, my head almost exploded. Has anyone weighed their new truck with a full tank of gas to determine the actual curb weight, compared it to the maximum GVWR and determined the true payload of their truck? I am told that Ford does not weigh trucks as they leave the plant. How can this concept be less confusing?
Phjimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I do not like to confuse things but I am confused. I understand that the more one adds to a truck, the lower the payload will be. I know that maximum GVWR is the highest allowable weight of a loaded truck. I also know that by definition, the payload is the GVWR less the curb weight. The curb weight is the vehicle plus all fluids, full gas tank and no passengers or cargo. I was led to believe that Ford may use frames of differing thicknesses (at least at certain stress points) depending on the body length and trim level. (I was ridiculed for sharing that info from a Ford forum but I am now emotionally recovered.) I believe that Ford uses the same frame for every trim level with the only variation due to wheelbase. So riddle me this, why does a Crew Cab Lariat 157 wheelbase reflect a maximum GVWR of 7150 lbs while a Crew Cab Platinum 157 wheelbase reflects a maximum GVWR of 7350. Other builds show maximum GVWR of 7050 and the Heavy Duty Payload Package is 7850 lbs. Would not the same frame have the same potential load rating for a given length regardless of trim level? As if this is not enough of mess, here's a real discussion buster - My local dealer claims to have spoken with a Ford engineer about the payload sticker on the door. According to what I was told, that is not an indication of the actual payload allowed for the truck as defined above but rather an estimation made available to those who might intend to put a commercial body on the frame of that existing truck. Like you, my head almost exploded. Has anyone weighed their new truck with a full tank of gas to determine the actual curb weight, compared it to the maximum GVWR and determined the true payload of their truck? I am told that Ford does not weigh trucks as they leave the plant. How can this concept be less confusing?
I surely don’t have all the answers but I believe there’s more to GVWR than frame thickness. For example, the difference in payload between a SRW F350 and an F250 is about 1000 lbs. the design difference is in the #of leafs in the rear springs and there is a difference in the rear axle.

Tires & wheels can also make a difference. That could account for the variation in trim levels on the F150 you mentioned.

In my opinion it’s more important to look at GVWR because total weight is what you’ll measure at the scales. Payload numbers provide a good way to compare two vehicles I suppose, but who weighs everything they put in their truck, not to mention aftermarket accessories like caps & slides?

BTW, what you heard from the Ford dealer sounds goofy to me.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Thank you for the information on the F150. We are researching tow vehicles and your post was helpful. BTW we have 3 model S cars for our family of 3 and absolutely love them. You have to get full self driving and the largest tires but the beauty of Tesla is that there are Tesla supercharging stations everywhere which makes traveling very easy. We plan on getting the Tesla truck next year but in the meantime we will prob get the Ford. If you need a coupon code for free 1000 miles of supercharging use:- https://ts.la/cara81752
stetsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
"Has anyone weighed their new truck with a full tank of gas to determine the actual curb weight, compared it to the maximum GVWR and determined the true payload of their truck?"

I did. At a CAT scale my new 2017 F150 Lariat Super Crew weighed in at 5340 lbs. The GVWR on the door jam is 7000 lbs. The difference is 1660 lbs, which coincidentally happens to be the payload number on the yellow sticker on the door jam.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote