Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Ofallon , Illinois
2019 Ford Ranger Realistic Tow Capabilities

We have a 2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew Cab (4x2) with the factory tow package. It's rated to tow 7500 lbs. and carry a tongue weight of 750lbs. Payload sticker in the door is max. of 1667 lbs. We also have a camper shell (apprx. 150 lbs). We're looking to get the 23fb twin Globetrotter. The Globetrotter has a GVWR of 6300 lbs and a tongue weight of 591 lbs. It appears that we can pull the 23fbt Globetrotter but I want to be sure. Anyone out there currently towing the 23fbt with a Ford Ranger? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
CradHltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I don't have experience with exactly the scenario you describe but I have something close. I have the next bigger trailer from the 23', I have the 25', and I started out towing with an F-150 and quickly decided I wanted a heavier truck for stability purposes. I would anticipate the same circumstance in your case. Be very cautious about relying solely on the Mfr tow ratings. Sure, it can "pull" that weight, but can it safely control that weight ? I am guessing the trailer will be on the order of 1,000 lbs heavier than the truck, maybe a little less, but in any case, the trailer will be heavier than the truck. I upgraded for stability (a heavier truck). More power is nice, but I had plenty of power. The F-150 Mfr tow rating is in excess of 10,000 lbs, but I was not comfortable with it towing my 6,000lb Flying cloud. Many on the forum view the 25' as the starting point where the F-250 is appropriate, I consider myself in that camp, and now I have an F-250. Hope that helps you.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Ofallon , Illinois
Thanks for your response. This is VERY helpful. I didn't even think about the weight of the truck in relation to the Airstream. I'm wondering if there's a ratio of tow vehicle/camper weight that I should be keeping in mind?
Old 03-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m impressed with the capacities that you listed for the Ranger. The payload capacity that you provided is higher than my GMC Denali 1500. I tow an International 23FB with my GMC, and it works well. The International has a published tongue weight of 439 lbs., and a GVWR of 6,000 lbs. We wanted a Globetrotter when we were initially shopping for our Airstream, but there were none to be found and we didn’t want to wait for a new order. We’ve been very happy with the International.

My biggest limiting factor with my truck is payload. I think you’ll find the same thing to be true with the Ranger. The tongue weight of your trailer will likely be 150 lbs. or even 200 lbs. heavier than the published weight when you’re loaded for camping. Once you add two people and some gear in the truck bed, you can easily exceed your payload limit. Careful packing and loading is necessary.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #5

2021 22' Caravel
Sunnyvale , California
I had the same Ranger you’re describing and felt nervous towing a 22FB Caravel. The numbers all seemed to work, but friends I spoke with said I would not enjoy the towing experience. Upgraded to an F-150 to increase the margin of safety. Also, even with the towing package, that Ranger did not have a trailer brake controller, so you might want to double check yours.
Jason Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Power won't be an issue but the Ranger is not a very stable tow vehicle.

If you use a ProPride Hitch the handling issue will solved. They are more expensive but the ideal solution for your combination. https://www.propridehitch.com/

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CradHltn View Post
Thanks for your response. This is VERY helpful. I didn't even think about the weight of the truck in relation to the Airstream. I'm wondering if there's a ratio of tow vehicle/camper weight that I should be keeping in mind?
I am certainly no authority on this but in my simpleton thinking and approach, I want my tow vehicle to be heavier than my trailer. I realize this is not always possible, but it *is* very possible in the range of trailer sizes we are talking about here. The really big 5th wheels far outweigh the dually that is usually pulling it, but I'm not in that realm so I can't offer any perspective. When I started, my F150 was approx. equal to my 25' Flying Cloud, and it was uncomfortable in many circumstances. I know the weights for that, because I went to a CAT scale and they each came in at about 6100lbs. I have not yet gone to a scale since upgrading to the F250 so I don't have actual numbers, but the F250 is substantially heavier than the F150.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Ofallon , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Power won't be an issue but the Ranger is not a very stable tow vehicle.

If you use a ProPride Hitch the handling issue will solved. They are more expensive but the ideal solution for your combination. https://www.propridehitch.com/

Andy

Wow! The ProPride is expensive! I really like my Ranger so I'd be willing to consider the Propride.

btw, we currently tow 16' Bambi. I know it's not the same as the Globetrotter but the Ranger tows that thing like a dream.

Thanks for your reply. It's very helpful.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Aloha , Oregon
We tow a 19CB with our 2019 Ranger FX4 super cab with Equalizer hitch and Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller. In our experience this is a very good match of tow vehicle with trailer. It tows stable with plenty of power going over the Oregon Cascades. The tow mode does a great job using the available power and providing good engine braking for long curvy downhill stretches. I’ve looked at 23s and believe we could easily tow the 23FB but possibly not the 23CB which has a significantly higher tongue weight than the 23FB. I manage truck capacity by using a tonneau cover instead of a topper and by bringing less and lighter stuff.
PeterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Peter

The 23 CB would actually be better the, the extra hitch weight adds to stability and you do not have a load capacity issue.

Andy

Old 03-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Aloha , Oregon
Andy, thanks for the input. I was concerned that the ~660 lb 23CB tongue weight was too close to the Ranger’s 750-lb specification (~88%) for safety especially since its easy to overload the front of CB trailers.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Peter. I have towed the CB on a couple of trips with vehicles where I had to watch the hitch weight. It stays pretty balanced when you load it.
In the case of the Ranger though the hitch weight is good because it adds to stability. It has no problem handling it from structural or load capacity considerations.
When it is time for new tires you can make a big improvement with a more optimal size for towing. You sacrifice some off road ability though.
If you like send me an email and I can send you information on hitching and the payload explanation. Andy@canamrv.ca

Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Ofallon , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
We tow a 19CB with our 2019 Ranger FX4 super cab with Equalizer hitch and Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller. In our experience this is a very good match of tow vehicle with trailer. It tows stable with plenty of power going over the Oregon Cascades. The tow mode does a great job using the available power and providing good engine braking for long curvy downhill stretches. I’ve looked at 23s and believe we could easily tow the 23FB but possibly not the 23CB which has a significantly higher tongue weight than the 23FB. I manage truck capacity by using a tonneau cover instead of a topper and by bringing less and lighter stuff.
Hi Peter, do you ever travel with water? If so, how much has this added to tongue weight and stability?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CradHltn View Post
Hi Peter, do you ever travel with water? If so, how much has this added to tongue weight and stability?

I used a sherline scale to measure the tongue weight of my 23 D both before and after filling water. I always tow with full fresh water. The added trailer weight with full fresh water added no tongue weight. The fresh tank is between the trailer axles and I believe adds to the stability. I started towing with a Ranger this year, swapped out a F150 for a better daily driver. Have not gone on any long trips yet with the Ranger but my short tows, under two hours, have been very pleasant and I’m very pleased with the performance of the Ranger. I did take the time to dial in my Equalizer hitch by making several trips to the CAT scales under full load; fresh tank filled, camper packed for camping, and truck bed loaded with camping gear. All weights came in under specified tolerances. Granted not a lot of wiggle room but I packed more gear than we usually carry for any one trip. The thing I miss the most is the tow mirrors on the F150.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Aloha , Oregon
Sorry for the delayed reply.
I set up the Equalizer hitch with a full fresh water tank, reasoning that ensuring good steering stability with the maximum hitch weight is more important than possible sway with less hitch weight when the tank is empty. I haven't observed any sway at all towing the 19CB with either the Ranger or our previous tow vehicle, a 2000 Tundra when using the Equalizer hitch although to be clear, I haven't tested sway in extreme conditions such as a sudden swerve to avoid an obstacle.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Aloha , Oregon
Instead of tow mirrors I'm using a wireless rear view camera from Garmin coupled with their DriveSmart display. I originally bought this when I towed with a 2000 Tundra. It supplied GPS navigation, rear view, backup and hands-free phone integration for an old truck. With the Ranger it now serves only as a rear view and backup camera. I find it's much better than wider side mirrors since it has no blind spots. I can see the motorcycle tucked in right behind me that I wouldn't with mirrors. When a passing car leaves the camera view it's now in the side mirror, so no blind spots at all. I mounted it to the back of the trailer just below the center red marker light and I powered it through that light. The wireless transmitter comes with a long cable so I mounted it on the front edge of one of my solar panels.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
Instead of tow mirrors I'm using a wireless rear view camera from Garmin coupled with their DriveSmart display. I originally bought this when I towed with a 2000 Tundra. It supplied GPS navigation, rear view, backup and hands-free phone integration for an old truck. With the Ranger it now serves only as a rear view and backup camera. I find it's much better than wider side mirrors since it has no blind spots. I can see the motorcycle tucked in right behind me that I wouldn't with mirrors. When a passing car leaves the camera view it's now in the side mirror, so no blind spots at all. I mounted it to the back of the trailer just below the center red marker light and I powered it through that light. The wireless transmitter comes with a long cable so I mounted it on the front edge of one of my solar panels.

I agree, I also have a rear trailer camera but also use clip on tow mirrors. When I had the F150 with dealer installed tow mirrors I rarely looked at the camera monitor. But with the Ranger I found I really like the camera. Like you said you can see vehicles right behind you. On one of my trips to the CAT scales I didn’t put in the monitor. Found out I use it a lot more than I realized. With only the clip on tow mirrors I felt like I didn’t know if anyone was behind me. I’ve been using the camera since 2017 but this year I came to love it. I also place it in the Ranger top of the dash well easy to see without taking my eyes off the road. On my F150 I mounted it lower on the front face of the dash, probably why I didn’t look at it much.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote