Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2023, 12:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Williamsburg , Virginia
2019 Ford F 150 3.5L Eco-boost

2019 Ford F150 with 3.5 L V6 eco-boost, max trailer tow package.
I purchased my F150 new and have been extremely happy with his performance towing east of the Mississippi. my wife and I are planning a trip Through the Rockies (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Tetons, and hopefully more) in our 27 foot Airstream. Looking at the itinerary I notice many opportunities to be traveling up and down grades in excess of 11%.
I would like to talk with follow Airstream Owners, who tow with a Ford F150 3.5 V6 eco-boost. I have been towing Airstream’s since 1974 and have towed in all of the lower 48 states. I am very comfortable in towing in most conditions, so what I’m looking for, is your impressions of the performance of the engine and braking, in steep and extended changes in elevation.

Thank you very much and looking forward to your comments
RichardBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
We have the same truck and trailer and use a blue ox sway pro hitch. We’ve traveled all thru Colorado. Also been to Grand Canyon, Tetons and Yellowstone. I’m not sure if we’ve ever been on an 11% grade, but last summer we went over Monarch Pass which I think is a 7% grade and many tight turns, with no problems. The engine breaking was excellent and plenty of torque going up the passes.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
hbf
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
2018 16' Sport
Gilroy , California
I have the 2019 F-150 4x4 Supercrew 3.5 L V6 Ecoboost w/max tow package and Blue Ox hitch. Untill this last summer I pulled a Bambi 16 throughout the Western US 15,000++ miles.
Last summer I pulled a Bambi 19 from CA to Glacier NP, Capitol Reef NP, Brice NP, Zion NP, Great Basin NP and back home again. I realize this is a lighter load than you're pulling, but I was fully loaded with bikes and other miscellaneous gear. No problems up or down grades. Lots of power and breaking. Towed great. But...

I had a two strange occurrence where the trailer brakes started catching. First time after dusting up quite a bit while traveling to boondocking sites. Second on a long downgrade. Both times I disconnected the trailer from the 7-pin and reattach. Let the trailer wheels cool a few minutes and carried on with no problems. This happened in about the middle of the trip about a week apart and did not reoccur. Still haven't figured out what that was about, but...

There are two other issues I've had with this truck. The first has to do with a startup rattle related to the Cam Phaser. Ford has a fix for this but it's a two step fix. They want to perform a firmware/software update first. That won't fix the problem. The real fix is to replace all 4 cam phasers. That's what I did. Ford will do this beyond your trucks warranty miles and date because of litigation on this issue.

The second issue is an odd one. In December I had a failure of the Hydraulic Control Unit. I am very much not a mechanic so my understanding of this is weak. But as I understand it, this is the system that controls braking(???). The fix is to replace the entire unit (again not my area of expertise). Cost about $2000. And my 2019 is past warranty as of last June. I was able to talk with Ford customer support and they agreed to offset 80% of the cost. The kicker is this is not an off the shelf part. Ford updated me this week that they hope to have the parts by next week. In the meantime the truck is not safe to use.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, I will say that I mostly love this truck and it's towing power. Hijacking this thread, has anyone out there come across these issues?
hbf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I also tow a 27' trailer with a F150 and, living on the west coast, have been up and down a lot of grades. For the most part the truck and trailer do fine. Downshift early, keep it at or under the speed limit on steep grades. I have no qualms letting it rev high, say 5000 rpm, because that's where the better engine braking is. Only had one semi scary experience by making the mistake of taking Route 22, the Teton Pass highway, into Jackson. It's a long 5 or 6 mile 10% downhill grade. The engine couldn't keep a steady pace, even in 1st gear, so lots of braking. I pulled over halfway to rest and made sure the brakes were cool enough for the rest of the road. Towards the bottom a F350 with a horse trailer was on fire for failing to watch his speed. Avoid that route.

You probably already know the truck pulls like a tank so going uphill 8s never a problem.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
"Max trailer tow package"

That in itself will make all the difference for a larger AS. With the gearing, gastank, and detail changes, luck is on your side.

Gearing brings a good advantage for acceleration, but almost more importantly, engine braking. To the previous owners point, don't be afraid to downshift and let the engine rev, as more revs is more engine braking. It's the only safe way to manage extreme and extended downhills.

I just did the trip to Yellowstone from CA last Oct. Wish you a safe and happy trip!
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I am west of the Rockies and have the same spec F150. Unfortunately for me while crossing Idaho on the way to Grand Teton I lost oil pressure with 18k miles on the odometer. Had it towed into a ford dealer where I was told it would be 4-6 weeks before they could look at it. (Turned out to be a fault oil pressure sensor) This lead to the purchase of a 3500 duramax (what was available at the time). While the ford towed the 25’ just fine the 3500 does it better. Ford was fixed under warranty and still have it today but use the Duramax to tow the trailer now. Other than long wait times for repair I wouldn't think twice about running that trip in the ford again. Seems like the ford is always 2-3 weeks when at the dealer for service these days due to staffing/parts issues.
ryaninoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Williamsburg , Virginia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
We have the same truck and trailer and use a blue ox sway pro hitch. We’ve traveled all thru Colorado. Also been to Grand Canyon, Tetons and Yellowstone. I’m not sure if we’ve ever been on an 11% grade, but last summer we went over Monarch Pass which I think is a 7% grade and many tight turns, with no problems. The engine breaking was excellent and plenty of torque going up the passes.
thank you
RichardBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Your F150 will pull and engine brake very well. As others have mentioned, keep your downhill speed lower, if it has a downhill posted at 55, I will keep it around 50mph. Don’t ride your brakes. Use the brakes as needed to bring you speed down then ride the transmission. Your brakes will begin cooling as soon as you release. So apply the brakes like you would at a stoplight to slow until you are 5 or so below the recommended speed limit, then release. I didn’t worry about rpm until within 500/750 of redline. At that point, I apply my brakes and take the speed back down.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
When the engine revs get to redline the transmission will automatically shift to the next higher gear. So no worry about over revving. The problem is losing some engine braking when it upshifts. Pulling the shift lever back to manual mode and selecting the gear for braking is the easiest way to downshift.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
Had the 150 eco boost with a 25' FC. To and from Wyoming from Oregon, lots of steep grades. Going up, this truck will keep up with anything. As everyone else says, monitor going down, engine braking, properly set trailer brakes and take it easy. Great trip ahead!
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:44 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
KIRKLAND , WA
We have a 2020 - the same F150 with a 25FC. Great truck! Been over the I-90 pass between Idaho and Montana several times and on across the country to Boston. Also, into Yellowstone and over the Siskiyou pass on I-5 a couple times. Pulls like a champ. We keep the transmission in the trailer/haul mode most of the time when towing. The engine braking as others have expressed amazing. Have a great trip.
ATaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , NJ
I have the 2019 F-150 4x4 Supercrew 3.5 L V6 Ecoboost w/max tow package pulling a 2013 FC with Reese hitch/weight distribution. Due to unplanned "life events" our AS adventures were put on hold for several years so I am still very much a newbie, both with respect to the TV and the AS. I have only one experience towing on grade, traveling to/from Jim Thorpe PA. I noticed the smell of gas on incline once or twice but cannot say whether it was our TV or a vehicle in front of us. I also noticed lack of power as I could not attain speeds >45 MPH on steep grades pulling uphill, but I did have some load in the truck. I always use tow/haul mode when pulling AS. Reading other comments in this thread I must be doing something wrong, perhaps a more experienced member could comment? Thank you.
cfrench58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Towed my 25's to/from MT/TX for 5 years, with my F150EB 4x4 prior to moving up to my 28'FC. Had 140K miles before moving up to a new F250 6.7L with my new 28'FC Twin in 2017. The Echoboost on the 150 has plenty torque/power. Only real issues I had at highway speeds, was when weather temps got above 95 and traveling up long grades at 65+ towing....it would heat up (turbos), so I would slow down to 45mph and it would go back down. This happened to us several times on the stretch between Riverside and Vegas. No issues to speak of in the Rockies.

Second issue to watch is braking; going down steep grades in Colorado at highway speeds, it can get "white knuckle" with all the traffic and semis...you really have to be on your toes. Rockies in MT same, but typically not as bad as CO IMHO. Also, brakes heated up a couple times going down windy steep mountain roads in Borrego Springs CA...have to watch both temps and brakes and you should be fine.

Night and day difference when I moved up to the F250 with the engine brake...but thats another topic.

(By the way, do you have a 27' Tommy Bahama or a 28'? difference is tongue weight in 28' typically couple hundred more lbs.)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
You've received some very good advice. We've towed our present 25' Safari and a previous 27'FBT all over the lower 48 with our 2019 f150 Lariat and an earlier 2015 f150 Lariat. Both had the 3.5 EcoBoost and the 2019 has the max tow package. The only advice I have is watch your speed before long descents-go at safe speed at the top to maintain control as you descend. You will have no problem pulling grades at 55-60 mph on any of the main highways. I hope you have the 36 gallon fuel tank.Unlike in the east, I never go below a 1/2 tank out west.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
BTW-I tow with the Hensley hitch. I found it handles the winds of plains and passing semis much better than our previous hitch. Fully loaded for our last trip scaled steering 3280 lbs. drive 3660 lbs. trailer 5440 lbs gross 12,380 tongue wt. 1,040 lbs.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
I tow with a 2017 F 150 3.5 Eco-boost & 25’ FBQ, I live in the west and towed about 20k the last 2 years throughout the mountain west without a problem. The 3.5L is a beast, as everyone has mentioned, just watch your speed going down grades and keep the trans in tow/haul. The only issue with the F 150 is the cargo is limited. As long as you remain under the limit it’s a great TV. Cheers!
mamorteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I haven’t towed in the mountains, but a good test for mine was outside of LaCross, WI on the WI and MN border. There is a very steep 3 or 4 mile descent, at least a 7% or more grade. I started at 55mph in tow haul mode and didn’t touch the breaks once. Thought it was a good test. Very pleased. I tow a 28’.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:44 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There's a lot more to this than just the trailer. Some folks put a lot of stuff (motorbikes) in their truck bed, other's run near empty. Some have the trailer near max payload with their gear. Others still have a lot of room to spare in this area as well. Some groups have four "full sized" folks in them. For others the total passenger load does not equate to one of those folks. Sum that all up and you have a wide variation in weight.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:25 AM   #19
BeemerPilot

1975 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
I concur!

2014 FX4 W/EcoBoost pulling a 1975 29’ Ambassador. 50k+ miles towing, 104k total. Love this truck.

I was really concerned to do th million dollar highway, even checked with my navigator for an alternate: absolutely no problems. Took it slow and pulled over once. We probably have 35k miles towing all over Colorado (we’re in Austin).

The tranny overheated eastbound up the grade to independence pass with stop and go traffic. Kept it in first gear and once through the tunnel it was back to normal within 3 miles. Dropped all the fluids when I got home. That was a very hot day in July.

Trucks been muddin in Louisiana, 60 mile Sandy beach drive on South Padre, sand and snow storms, and it’s been an absolute A1 vehicle. I’ve looked at the new Hybrid but for 89$k I’m just too happy with mine

Happy trails y’all!
BeemerPilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
We towed our AS 30 with a 2020 F150 EB max tow over 10,000 miles. We didn’t go through the Rockies but we used it in all kinds of terrain and weather conditions, including some very steep, narrow, and twisty roads in WVa and western NC and SC. It did fine! A couple of caveats: we use the ProPride hitch, which I think is essential for towing any large trailer. And, we did trade the 150 for a F250 7.3L gasser for our big five-month western trip last spring. But that was for payload reasons more than anything else (3000+ lbs versus about 1850). The bigger truck does tow better, but if you’re ok with the payload I have no doubt that your 150 will do fine wherever you end up out west.
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote