Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2023, 11:00 AM   #1

Barboursville , Virginia
2018 Expedition FX4 package

I have been considering my 2018 Expedition FX4 with the 3.5 Eco Boost and tow package as comparable to the F-150 as it is the same frame and sticker specs. I recently rented a 25' Serenity to experience towing one. (I've pulled horse trailers, 2 horse to 12 horse all my life). I found the power and stopping very adequate though this was a pretty level 100 mile trip but I couldn't say I didn't know it was behind me. I'm wondering if anyone has real life experience of the Expedition vs the F-150 and further, experiencing plusses and minuses of towing a 25' with my Expedition package.
MrRapidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I tow a FC 25RBT with a 2018 Lincoln Navigator, but I have two wheel drive. Almost 20K miles now and it works well for us. One of the stranger things is that the rear axle rating is higher than the F-150, which is helpful. The receiver rating is 930 lbs, I believe, which could be a concern with an Airstream's heavy tongue weight. The 930 just happens to be 10% of the highest Expedition tow rating, which means that the receiver might be more capable than that.

Payload is the big issue, but we have made it work. I did a lot of weights to confirm. One of the reasons we went with a red bedroom is because it has less real world tongue weight.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:12 PM   #3
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I tow a FC 25RBT with a 2018 Lincoln Navigator, but I have two wheel drive. Almost 20K miles now and it works well for us. One of the stranger things is that the rear axle rating is higher than the F-150, which is helpful. The receiver rating is 930 lbs, I believe, which could be a concern with an Airstream's heavy tongue weight. The 930 just happens to be 10% of the highest Expedition tow rating, which means that the receiver might be more capable than that.

Payload is the big issue, but we have made it work. I did a lot of weights to confirm. One of the reasons we went with a red bedroom is because it has less real world tongue weight.

The rear axle rating of a 2023 GMC Yukon is higher than the corresponding GMC Sierra 1500 too.
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:21 AM   #4

Barboursville , Virginia
Axle rating

Thanks for your feedback.I expect your Rear wheel drive Navigator would have an advantage in payload over my 4WD. I'm not really familiar with axle ratings and how they apply.
MrRapidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have a 2019 Exped Max nd tow a 2010 FC25fbt. I have a bad problem with my rt foot and Max likes it when towing. So far no cops. I use the speed control as protection
I am a flat lander, so don't know how it would be in mountains. We do have some good hills and no problem with them.
The tongue weight is 1050 and tow with a Blue Ox. This set-up has worked great of me.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRapidan View Post
Thanks for your feedback.I expect your Rear wheel drive Navigator would have an advantage in payload over my 4WD. I'm not really familiar with axle ratings and how they apply.
I completely went down the rabbit hole of figuring out how much weight distribution to use and confirming it with weighs at Cat Scales. That is where you can see how much load in on each axle and compare it to its limit. You can also figure out what payload you have on the truck. It was a little confusing at first but after a while it all makes sense.

I bought my hitch from the dealer who set it up with too little weight distribution. Once I figured that out from too light steering and weighs, I went to a trailer shop who set it up with too much. Accepting then that I needed to do it myself, I borrowed a big torque wrench and after a couple of adjustment attempts got it were it works really well.

I have a spreadsheet for weighs I can send you if you would like to PM me.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:38 AM   #7
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Expedition

We tow a FC23 FB with 2020 Expedition max - absolutely no problems in mountains etc, as long as WD properly set and trailer brakes well calibrated. Lighter tongue weight of the 23 allows us to carry bikes, kayak etc. inside the expedition with no problems with axle weights. A 25 ft is somewhat heavier in tongue weight and overall weight, width etc. which may mean watching payload more carefully. But the ecoboost is a great engine and should be fine towing a 25.
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote